android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P2

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Red face Waves, and taking the plunge Have I "lost" it?

Hi everyone,

Here's the deal. With a non-working audio player, and waiting for the P2 to come in a 16GB version, I have to admit I still have my doubts about this player (the P2).

But I am growing very, very impatient and becoming more and more doubtful as to whether what I'm doing (waiting for something that might not come out) is such a great idea.

Here's the rub: As of now, the firmware does not permit playing wave-files, and I'm a bit worried that it never will. I would even say that it's more than propable that if it ever will be able to play wavs, it will be done at a mere 16bit/44.1kHz, and not 24bit @ at least 48kHz.
The same goes for (some type of) lossless at those bit rates.
One could argue, that a portable player wouldn't really make any use of the added audio quality, and I would tend to agree with that.

But it's not necessarily about the quality. It's about not having to have several copies of the same tracks/audio files in a variety of formats and bit rates and keep track of them. It's about not having to encode files in yet another format in order to play them, instead of simply dragging them over for a listen.

I have reached a stage, where I consider buying, say, a marantz PMD620, simply because of the formats, as that would at least let me play them back, and I could use it in a pinch for work as well. It is, however, quite the ridiculous audio-player to be carrying around and use as such, considering how you go through and select files on that thing.

So, should I take the "plunge" (there it was), and buy something completely different, such as the Cowon D2 (assuming it can actually play back 24bit files @ 48kHz), or what the hell should I do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]