android
Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Default Hello Everyone, I just ordered my D2 and a Couple ?'s

Im totally stoked, I just bought my D2, now for the wait until it gets here. I just wanted to say hi since Ill be in this part of the forums for a long while I hope. My Sansa e260 died (partially anyhow) yesterday and I didnt like Sandisks response to my phone call, so here I am in the D2 camp!

Of course I pop in here and the first thread is titled that the user is returning it. But I read that it is all about playlists. I have a couple questions for you fine folks.

1. The reason I didnt like the e260 was due to its need to use WMP11 or a service to make playlists. All my music is sorted on my PC using the file tree method. It is my understanding that it will work in this fashion on my D2? So if I want a playlist I can just make a folder and call it for example "easy listening" and put all my easy listening music in it? Is that correct, thats what I want. None of this id3 tagging or whatever you call it.

2. Is there a lanyard available, I like to carry my player around my neck under my shirt. I havent found anything yet.

3. Will anyone actually read this post since its so dang long LOL.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM

0. The user returning his D2 seems to have one little initial gripe with his D2, nothing that should concern you in any way (since it's about playlists - which I have no idea about, since I absolutely don't want/need them). 99% of all other users are very happy with the D2.

1. Yes, you can sort your music in folders any way you want. You don't need to rely on ID3 tags or playlists. You just play the folder you want to hear.

2. Almost any lanyard will work, the slot where the stylus attaches is big enough to hold a decent cord.

3. I've seen way longer posts...

Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM

GREAT!!!! Im stoked. Thanks for answering all my questions.

Now I just have to make sure to get a case that doesnt cover up the part where my lanyard will go. Im guessing all the ones suggested will still allow this. I want to order a case today but Im having a hard time choosing one. Screen protecters are already on the way.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:30 PM

FWIW, I don't use a case, only a DX screen protector. I've had my D2 for a year now, and it looks good as new. Yes, I do take care of my stuff, but not in a compulsive way. The D2 can take a beating - it doesn't scratch as soon as you look at it.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
FWIW, I don't use a case, only a DX screen protector. I've had my D2 for a year now, and it looks good as new. Yes, I do take care of my stuff, but not in a compulsive way. The D2 can take a beating - it doesn't scratch as soon as you look at it.

So true-- I love matte plastics. Even if it did scratch, it wouldn't be very noticeable! Everyone I know thinks my D2 is incredibly cool-- first glance, to closer inspection. I couldn't care less though, I really bought it only for the sound quality/functionality/navigation speed (large screen), so its all just icing. It leaves my pocket only on extremely rare occasions throughout the day-- I almost never have to change artists or anything.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
3. I've seen way longer posts...
Mine, for instance?

I'll echo dfkt's sentiments on the D2's toughness. I've managed to drop the D2 once so far and accidentally tossed my keys into the same pocket it was in and it's come out completely unscathed thus far. I haven't even gotten my screen protectors in yet actually, so it's quite bare without a case or protector of any kind on it.

Regarding file tree browsing, it's four clicks away from the library screen. In music mode, all you need to do is give the screen a poke to bring up the on-screen display, then go to Browser at the bottom left. The four clicks from here are the "mode" option, "music library" at the top of the column, the up arrow on the right and you're right on the folder browsing option! The D2 also stays in folder browsing mode until you change it (or maybe when you turn it off, not sure). All in all it's really easy to switch between folder and ID3 mode if you use both like I do.

Enjoy your D2!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_ View Post
Regarding file tree browsing, it's four clicks away from the library screen. In music mode, all you need to do is give the screen a poke to bring up the on-screen display, then go to Browser at the bottom left. The four clicks from here are the "mode" option, "music library" at the top of the column, the up arrow on the right and you're right on the folder browsing option! The D2 also stays in folder browsing mode until you change it (or maybe when you turn it off, not sure). All in all it's really easy to switch between folder and ID3 mode if you use both like I do.
I never use that "library" stuff since it messes up my sorting, I just use the folders. It will always stay in file/folder mode, no matter if you turn it off.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Great, thats good to know, sounds like you guys might be more usefull then the owners manual :-). I plan at this point on sticking with the file/folder mode. Im glad it stays in that mode.

I ordered it from ZipZoomFly.com Is anyone worried for me. I hope I got from a reputable place. It was on list of places in the US to buy it from at the top of the forum.