android
Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Default Express randomly forgetting settings

Hi all,
my Express recently started forgetting settings: sometimes I'd shut it off, and when I turn it on again, it will ask me what language to use, and all settings would be reverted to default.
Any insights?
Thanks

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM

Mine did that too, about once every couple of weeks or so. The Express is total trash; I'm sorry, but it died and the firmware got corrupted somehow in addition to all the little nuances/glitches that it has. It's a low cost flash player with minimal features, which I like, but I would like them to at least WORK CORRECTLY. I may be in the wrong forum for this, but I highly suggest you return the Express for another player with similar price/features. My frustrations with the Sansa Express have scared me away from buying the upcoming Sansa Fuze, which frankly sounds awesome with the exception of being in the same family as the Express.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM

I actually like my express, and I'm not as negative as you in judging it.
It's small, it has a nice sound, it needs no cables...

Anyway I've noticed that setting go lost when I shut it off keeping the button pressed too long. If I release the button as soon as the shutdown process begins, settings are kept.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloStiX View Post
Mine did that too, about once every couple of weeks or so. The Express is total trash; I'm sorry, but it died and the firmware got corrupted somehow in addition to all the little nuances/glitches that it has. It's a low cost flash player with minimal features, which I like, but I would like them to at least WORK CORRECTLY. I may be in the wrong forum for this, but I highly suggest you return the Express for another player with similar price/features. My frustrations with the Sansa Express have scared me away from buying the upcoming Sansa Fuze, which frankly sounds awesome with the exception of being in the same family as the Express.
I couldn't agree more, and a quick glance at the official Sansa forums will show that this is a very common feeling among Express owners. Personally I'm never buying another Sandisk MP3 player in my life. Sandisk would have to pay me $60 to get me to use one at this point. Companies that sell buggy POS products like the Express deserve to get punished in the marketplace. The hardware is awesome but the crappy firmware really kills this product, and it's extremely clear that Sandisk put essentially no effort into quality assurance. They've lost all of my trust, personally. Their firmware engineers can't even get a shuffle routine right!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:39 PM

What's wrong with the shuffle routine?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with the shuffle routine?
So, so much. Every time you select shuffle, given the same songs loaded on the player, you will get the exact same order of songs. They don't use any pseudo-random data (eg, current time, first few bytes of a system file, etc) to seed their randomization routine. You can read about it in excessive, minute detail on this thread on the Sansa boards.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 AM

yeah, I know about that. But is it so dramatic? Just go to the menu, shuffle off and on again, and you get a new random playlist...
I've seen worse bugs in my life...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM

express is really a failure.
I think ther model does not have this problems.

Mine also experienced the same things.
To Go Playlist often reset to no sngs in it. Terrible.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 AM

What can I say? It's buggy but still I like it... it's small, inexpensive, does not need cables, SQ is quite okay, FM radio works like a charm, the MicroSD slot is pretty convenient... it's not perfect but at this price I don't see much better competitors.