android
Old 03-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Default Extended Warranties?

I notice that several on line sellers offer extended warranties that would cover the second or third year after the manufacturer's one year warranty. With many purchases, I think extended warranties are a waste of money, but with some portable electronic devices, they might be a good idea.

I'm new to the MP3 player thing, but I notice on the forums that some people think an extended warranty might be a good idea with a HD based player, but not needed with a flash player like the P2.

What do you think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 AM

i dont think a flash player needs extended warrenty, considering flash drive failure rate isnt that high.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned

I never buy extended warranties. My wife always buys them. I agree that with electronics it's waste. With MP3 players and cameras I'm likely to have bought a newer/better one after the typical one-year warranty anyway. Most gear will fail right away (or within the warranty) if there is a manufacturing defect. Gear that survives a year will probably keep running until the battery leaks/dies/bursts into flames.

My wife buys the best product she can, with the extended warranty, then hopes to keep it for five or more years. It rarely works out that way, and she's never benefitted from having that extended warranty to my knowledge.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 AM

I work for Staples so I learned as a salesperson the flaws of the extended warranties. Now as a customer I only buy extended warranties for some items (mp3 players and headsets for instance). You just have to know how to deal with retailers whenever you're applying the warranty.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM

I agree, some warranties that stores offer are ill advised, especially with certain products. I'm interested in your reasons for buying them for mp3 players and headsets. Since you understand their limitations and how they work, why do you like them for mp3 players? Please say more. (I'm trying to figure out if I should get one when I get my P2).

Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman View Post
I agree, some warranties that stores offer are ill advised, especially with certain products. I'm interested in your reasons for buying them for mp3 players and headsets. Since you understand their limitations and how they work, why do you like them for mp3 players? Please say more. (I'm trying to figure out if I should get one when I get my P2).
I like them for mp3 players because by experience (others' and my own) I know that my mp3 player is not going to last much more than 2 years, since so many parts can get old/break/become fragile. The input for headphones for example (that's what happened with my old one; used the warranty I had on it to get my P2), or the screen (scratches).

Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 AM

Does anybody know about SageMax? Are their ext. warranty any good?

Old 03-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangesweet View Post
Does anybody know about SageMax? Are their ext. warranty any good?
That's a good question -- another one is, does anyone know about CPS?

B&H has the 8 Gig P2 for $229 and the extended warranty there is by SageMax. DataVision has the 8 Gig P2 for $219, and the extended warranty there is by something called CPS. The CPS warranties are cheaper than SageMax, but the real question is, is either of them a good company -- does anyone have any experience with them?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

Get a warranty that covers the screen cracking- otherwise you might get messed over.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 PM

I didn't get a warranty, and I won't bother. It's a relatively cheap device, anyway, and the warranty is a ripoff.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The basic problem with extended warranties for portable electronics items is that they don't cover loss,theft, or "abuse" (if the item is dropped, liquid spills on it, or if something heavy falls on it) Those are probably the most likely things that might cause a person to lose the use of a portable item. Extended warranties are much more useful for items that retain their value for a longer period of time(such as a car), and the technology doesn't change so fast.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:51 PM

I bought a two year extended for $24.99... seems to me that its worth it, that only a fraction of the cost to get a new one... Besides I have very bad luck with these types of batteries O.o (thats my main reason)

Old 06-29-2008, 07:37 PM

I work at Best Buy and I always get replacement plans, but for a service plan it depends on the product. I got one on my P2. That way right before the warranty ends I can return it and get my 170 in store credit, put that towards a new mp3 or whatever else I might want. Believe it or not, but the replacement plans are not really a scam...

Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLuSionS View Post
i dont think a flash player needs extended warrenty, considering flash drive failure rate isnt that high.
Not according to the heat related problems thread here. And Uberbad: I work at BB too! You don't think they'd be pissed at you for returning it after almost 2 years?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM

I doubt it. In all honesty they don't sell many p2's, stupid people only buying an ipod cause that's what the commercial tells them to do, so I figure I did them a solid on buying one with a plan. Regardless I'm going to buy whatever samsung puts out in the p2's place in 2010.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:49 PM

I guess if It's going to basically get me a free player in the future I'll go for it, what do I do, just pretend something's wrong?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM

I have profited from extented warranties many times in the past.
For example a month ago my hard drive and my screen were defedctive on my laptop. I brought it to futureshop and within two weeks I had a brand new HDD and screen. This had happened after the manufacters warranty.

Another time the battery on my old creative player had died, once again after ethe manufacters warranty. I brought it to futreshop and they gave me a brand new player, with more features and more memory.

I have very good experience with extended warranties

Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 PM

I'll put it this way... i just realized... with about 6 hours left... that my iriver h10, which battery just died.... qualifies for a $225 credit at Futureshop... WITH 6 HOURS LEFT...