android
Old 03-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Disk access noise...

I started noticing an annoying noise at the beginning of every song I played while using the rockbox firmware. It usually doesn't last very long, only around 15 seconds, and it really is only noticeable at low volumes, but it can get annoying. Literally sounds like the sansa is processing something, and if the volume is low enough, this noise overwhelms the music. Is there anything I can check to fix this? Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2008, 12:24 PM

i think you are hearing the sansa accessing the drive for the song(not 100% sure),I have noticed it too, but i don't know if it can be fixed though

Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer14094 View Post
i think you are hearing the sansa accessing the drive for the song(not 100% sure),I have noticed it too, but i don't know if it can be fixed though
Hit the nail right on the head there, that's exactly what it is, and no it isn't fixable.
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Darnit. Thanks anyway.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Rockbox Developer

Actually, there are some theories that if we change the access patterns so that Rockbox makes shorter or slower reads, because there's no concern about disk spin time like there is on HD targets, it might be possible to minimize at least how easy it is to notice the noise, even if we can't get rid of it. But nobody's done any experimentation on this, and it would require modifying the playback code to have a unique buffering algorithm for this player. And of course, it's just one theory, and at best it's probably just going to mitigate the annoyance a bit, if it does help.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Try Headphones!

Why don't you try using headphones instead of Sansa's earphones? It worked for me, even with cheap LIDL headphones. In general, earphones tend to be noisier than headphones.

Regards,

Christos

Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM

I'm using JBL 220 IEM's, and the sound is very noticeable. I haven't checked if the same noise can be heard in the original firmware though...

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM

I've noticed it a lot more pronounced when I recently upgraded my cpchan build (or so it seems to me). At the same time it has been more stable, though often unresponsive for a little bit (up to 15, maybe 20 seconds, but not all the time) when I first turn on the player, I presume due to said buffering. But it's better than the problems I was having before, so I'll just wait to see what the next build brings.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 PM

this is the one thing i don't like about rockbox.

i seriously can't stand the wurring noise. i own a 20gb 4th gen ipod, 30gb zune, 5.5 gen ipod, and the e270 sansa.

I seriously love the sansa, it's got a lot of cool features, but I can't stand the noise. Usually I could put up with stuff but my ears start hurting immediately, it doesn't happen with the other players.

It also doesn't happen w/ the original e270 firmware so I know it's not the problem w/ the player. I'm seriously considering getting an ipod nano instead just because of the noise, also the instant support for chinese font and the easy to make playlists! It's tough to make a playlist for the Zune and Sansa :/

Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you considered any of the other players out there!
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokiriheero View Post
It also doesn't happen w/ the original e270 firmware so I know it's not the problem w/ the player.
I have experienced this with the OF but only at very low volume, and it didn't seem to last as long. Which suggests that it's a combination of hardware and software.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:34 AM

actually i just recently tried the cpchan's build of rockbox and I haven't had that problem. so if anyone else can try that maybe it will help you too

Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 PM

My sansa does this all the time because I use low impedance IEM's. I guess the problem is Sandisk Cranked up the amplifier too much so it gets signal processing noises. I'm no electronics engineer that's just my guess. I also guess rockbox uses reverse engineered sandisk sound processsing which is the cause of the problem. The amplifier are probably working outside their useful limits.

The way round this is to increase the impedance (=resistance) of your phones. Either by changing them, or by fitting a sound attenuator. I use one all the time with my sansa, and it fixes the sound problems. It even sounds half decent with rockbox and a sound attenuator. I use super fi 3's and you get one in the box with them.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebulr View Post
My sansa does this all the time because I use low impedance IEM's. I guess the problem is Sandisk Cranked up the amplifier too much so it gets signal processing noises.
I don't think it has anything to do with the amp or signal processing noise. It just sounds like the power lines to the DAC aren't well regulated and theres some crosstalk.

Also, its not really reverse engineered (since we have the datasheet for the AMS DAC) and we think it is all run within specification.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
Actually, there are some theories that if we change the access patterns so that Rockbox makes shorter or slower reads, because there's no concern about disk spin time like there is on HD targets, it might be possible to minimize at least how easy it is to notice the noise, even if we can't get rid of it. But nobody's done any experimentation on this, and it would require modifying the playback code to have a unique buffering algorithm for this player. And of course, it's just one theory, and at best it's probably just going to mitigate the annoyance a bit, if it does help.
I, for one, hope future experimentation leads to something like what Llorean described above...but for now I see it as a "live with a little momentary noise for some fabulously awesome firmware" kind of scenario...

saratoga, do you know if any sort of hardware hacks/modifications can be made to the player to better regulate the DAC's power lines, or is that an impossible feat?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I don't think you'd be able to get access to any of the needed wires since the DAC is built into the PP chip, but you're welcome to take a look.