android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune

Old 03-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Thumb Down What do you hate about Zune? (sure we all love them...but)

I love my Zune, however, Microsoft engineered a feature that favors Microsoft's bottom line. Like most large compaies that really are after your money more than your loyalty.

First the lies about the battery time. I have only read of tests that fall hours short of what Microsoft claims. CNET tested the Zunes battery life and the best they could get was 22 hours. Of course I am sure that is just letting the thing sit and play. My real world experience is much less than 22 hours. No big-deal that my Zune is going to end-up being spent in half the time. If the battery drains almost twice as fast and you have about 500 charge cycles your Zune will die much sooner.

If the Zune could do 30 hours with each full charge you should get approx, 15,000 hours of use having 500 charge cycles. If the zune only get's about 17 hours you only have 8500 hours of use. I get about 17 hours per charge and that is being nice as my device about half the time will get 15 hours or less.

The Zune instructions booklet. They only mention the method to turn off the Zune to standby. The rotten thing about this is that in this mode the battery just continues to drain. No mention of the down and back method to turn off the Zune 100%. Microsoft leaving this little tidbit of information out seems deliberate because if a person only uses the stand-by method in the booklet their Zune won't last as long.

Sure, I will get the next gen also when it arrives, but, a little honesty from a filthy rich company is prefered.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I care, but I'm not at all surprised they misrepresented the battery. I can't say I hate anything about the Zune 80, I think it's a really great player, but these are my biggest dislike about it:

- Not an MTP device
- Lack of Divx/Xvid support
- Lack of Pan-and-scan option for videos
- Can't change photo display orientation

Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Uses an ecosystem (just as bad as the ipod, except the software is probably a bit better)
No eq (at least throw one in there to give users the option)
No txt file support
low pixel density (I have a camera that has a 320x240 3 inch screen and I think its not pixel dense enough, I can easily see each individual pixel)
not enough colours (64k is no match for 200k)
battery

and a couple of more things I need, but aren't really that inportant.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Of Bodom View Post
just as bad as the ipod, except the software is probably a bit better
No, iTunes is better.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 AM

I hear ya brother, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Its the same thing that NFL teams or college teams do, they misrepresent the height and weight of some players. It's the way of the world. Nobody tells the truth anymore...sad.

Dc

Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

Catch 22. Devices that can use AA or AAA batteries might last forever as you can replace the batteries anytime you want. You could even have rechargable batteries and a device that will recharge them over USB, but none of the current rechargable batteries have the energy density of Lithium which doesn't come in a standardized form factor you are likely to find anywhere. So manaufactures who want greater battery life have to use lithium packs, and they benefit by making products with an engineered life span (the battery life). The result is you'll have to reinvest in a new player every few years. Most appreciate the new design, features, and capacities of the newer devices and don't mind upgrading, but it sucks for the baby boomers who strive to be thrifty in respect of the shrinking globe.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopScribe View Post
No, iTunes is better.
still uses an ecosystem. personally i prefer true ums, none of that mtp drag and drop stuff, same thing but I cant drag and drop and files thta the device doesnt support.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:55 PM

My gripes, which you others have mentioned along with ones not mentioned:

- BIGGEST PROBLEM: No DRAG-N-DROP aka MTP aka portable HD
- Can't edit ID tags
- No EQ
- Can't play directly from Zune when connect via USB
- Create multiple playlists directly on Zune
- Can't delete specific tracks on playlist directly on Zune
- Multiple video codec support (divx, avi, mpg)
- Can't 'play all' from selecting a specific genre (can only 'shuffle all')
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned

I'm bothered by a device that has wifi but no internet. With no other Zunes around my poor Zune has no one to share with, and refuses to sync wirelessly with my VISTA PC.

I'm bothered by a device that has FM reception but not FM transmission. My Zune dock also has an FM radio in it. If my Zune could TRANSMIT it's audio over FM, the dock could play the music without the Zune needing to plugged into it. Yes, I know there are add-on FM tranmitters. The Zune just looks so UGLY all added on to. For that matter, EVERY mp3 player should come with FM transmission by default. JMO.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 PM

I am irked by the battery life and the video quality.
The amount of pixels on display on the Zune 80 should be higher, even though it looks better than expected. Also, the amount of colors displayed should be higher, since different shades of black on the Zune look horrible up close.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
4DThinker . . . .
I'm bothered by a device that has wifi but no internet. With no other Zunes around my poor Zune has no one to share with, and refuses to sync wirelessly with my VISTA PC.

I'm bothered by a device that has FM reception but not FM transmission.
While internet is a nice feature, keep in mind this is a DAP and not a smart phone type. The main purpose is to play music, anything else you are catering to a different industry.

Quote:
royel91 . . . .
I am irked by the battery life and the video quality.
The amount of pixels on display on the Zune 80 should be higher, even though it looks better than expected. Also, the amount of colors displayed should be higher, since different shades of black on the Zune look horrible up close.
I also agree to the low colors vs iPoo or the Cowon hamper the Zune, though I am surprised at how good it is with what it has to work with.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP62 View Post
My gripes, which you others have mentioned along with ones not mentioned:

- BIGGEST PROBLEM: No DRAG-N-DROP aka MTP aka portable HD
- Can't edit ID tags
- No EQ
- Can't play directly from Zune when connect via USB
- Create multiple playlists directly on Zune
- Can't delete specific tracks on playlist directly on Zune
- Multiple video codec support (divx, avi, mpg)
- Can't 'play all' from selecting a specific genre (can only 'shuffle all')
ADD:

- No track title scrolling
- Can't play from last location after powering on

Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP62 View Post
While internet is a nice feature, keep in mind this is a DAP and not a smart phone type. The main purpose is to play music, anything else you are catering to a different industry.
Thanks for stating the obvious. No audio player technically needs wifi, unless of course there is your music collection being shared off your home network via wifi. No audio player needs wifi unless it lets you access seeqpod.com where you can sample almost any artist for free without needing to download them. No audio player need access to the internet unless it lets you access a (any) online music store to purchase and download music directly.

If they had left wifi out I wouldn't complain. They (Microsoft) put it in, and then they crippled it. I'm a product designer. I HATE it when I see products fall short of the hardware's potential. That's what I saw when I bought my iPod Touch, and Apple has finally agreed that it's wifi could be much more useful. They've upgraded the firmware several times, and each time it makes better use of the built-in wifi. That's what I see with the Zune. They have this incredilble technology built into it, and they aren't using it.

I play with my iPod Touch every day. When I can't listen to music it provides other distractions so I keep it with me. My 80gb Zune remains docked in my kitchen where we occasionally watch downloaded video clips on the kitchen TV or listen to music while cooking. If Microsoft wants to steal some of Apple's market share, they need to make the Zune something everyone wants, and something everyone will carry with them wherever they go. It doesn't have to be a phone. It just has to have every other feature we want to have access to while we're on the go.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 AM

Wink The point is Zune can grow large in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
I play with my iPod Touch every day. When I can't listen to music it provides other distractions so I keep it with me. My 80gb Zune remains docked in my kitchen where we occasionally watch downloaded video clips on the kitchen TV or listen to music while cooking. If Microsoft wants to steal some of Apple's market share, they need to make the Zune something everyone wants, and something everyone will carry with them wherever they go. It doesn't have to be a phone. It just has to have every other feature we want to have access to while we're on the go.
Well I play with my beautiful unit everyday. So there!

The unit pretty is what I have expected except a irritating bug (new for me) that disables saving in Adobe Illustrator. Reinstalling Illustrator does not correct the Zune conflict. You need to reinstall the entire Creative Suite = 2+ hours approximate effort and time wasted. Then the very inaccurate battery life specs. But as far as the Zune being everything everyone wants most likely would have persuaded me towards a different player. I would not rather follow all the Wilda beasts (just more of a lone predator). Following the crowds is not enjoyable for me personally unless I get one of you iPod Wilda's to eat! I would never look at getting an iPod. I hate following the crowd except for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Anything but iPod! Now that is a statement I wish to standby.

As far as an MP3 Player I love the Zune with a few caveats.

The term 'everyone' never REALLY means everyone.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

It's OK to be a loan wolf. I stayed away from Apple until I saw the Touch. I would never have bought an iPod since if all I wanted was a music player there were many other options out there. Apple is the only one with the Ipod Touch, and it is easily a different product altogether, despite being able to play iTunes songs.

I bought the Zune 80 for it's potential too, and am not seeing it evolve fast enough. As such it's become the single player I own that can hold my entire collection. Primarily a storage device. I also own a Samsung P2, and it has become the device I'm usually listening to music from. Samsung is at least exploring the potential of the P2 with periodic firmware updates. Bluetooth is finally becoming the prevelant short range wireless technology it was promised to be. The P2 also lets me record off of FM radio. Not used all the time, but great for getting the last 5 minutes of a close NCAA game for replay and discussion, or a new song that is not yet available in a better quality for download. They play Beatles songs on the radio, but you can't (legally) buy them online.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
It's OK to be a loan wolf. I stayed away from Apple until I saw the Touch. I would never have bought an iPod since if all I wanted was a music player there were many other options out there. Apple is the only one with the Ipod Touch, and it is easily a different product altogether, despite being able to play iTunes songs.

I bought the Zune 80 for it's potential too, and am not seeing it evolve fast enough. As such it's become the single player I own that can hold my entire collection. Primarily a storage device. I also own a Samsung P2, and it has become the device I'm usually listening to music from. Samsung is at least exploring the potential of the P2 with periodic firmware updates. Bluetooth is finally becoming the prevelant short range wireless technology it was promised to be. The P2 also lets me record off of FM radio. Not used all the time, but great for getting the last 5 minutes of a close NCAA game for replay and discussion, or a new song that is not yet available in a better quality for download. They play Beatles songs on the radio, but you can't (legally) buy them online.
Well, one thing I must admit is that my experience with small devices pales to yours so what you say has a lot of actual knowledge and use behind your statements. Thanks, that's very helpful.

Aside from that and the downsides of the Zune. Were you impressed with the second generation Zune anymore than the first? Because if you were not then what you are saying MS is not doing enough fast enough for the Zune to gain any traction against the iPod's marketshare is 100% on the spot.

I am thinking you are correct, even though there could be an outside chance for a Hail Mary.

Peace

Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM

The thing that drives me crazy about the touch is the price and lack of function. If I wanted a touch that held half of what my Zune can hold, it would cost me near twice what I paid for the Zune. Plus, when would I use the wifi? I can't use it on the road (I'm driving and there's no open wifi). I can't use it at work (no open wifi). It would be pointless you use it at home when a computer is just a few steps away. The only time I would really use it is if I was at Tim Horton's or some restaurant where there's open wifi. That's not worth the extra $250 to me. Esp. when I already have a Windows Mobile phone with wifi. And personally, I perfer there isn't any internet on the Zune. It is not designed by it's nature to do internet. Just because it has wifi in it, doesn't mean adding any and all wifi functions is a good idea. A regular BT cell phone usually won't work with a BT mouse and keyboard. But I doubt anyone would say that's crippling. It's like the people complaining for a browser on the 360. I would perfer there isn't one. It would be pointless.

And as far as battery life not being the same as advertised, how often is it? I've owned half a dozen MP3 players in my life. Not one ever got the advertised battery life.

To be honest, there's only 1 thing I would change about my zune:
The ability to load up ATSC recorded broadcasts. They added support for Media Center in the latest update, but only for NTSC. The problem there is all NTSC broadcasting will be terminated by this time next year. Plus I want to record all broadcasts in ATSC anyways since I perfer the digital over analog when I'm watching it on my HDTV.

Outside that, support for BT headphones would be great, but I have an external device that works well for this. So that's no big deal for me.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM

The one thing I hate about the Zune is its lack of extensive media format support. Since it's a media-centric device, it would make sense to support as many different types of media as possible right? But yeah, that kinda irks me.

The screen could use some improvement too. It's big and bright, but the resolution needs to be bumped up, seriously. Other than that the Zune is pretty damn awesome.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

I hate the *internet* community.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

Media center will record ATSC if you have an ATSC tuner in your PC. I record HD content from my Over-the-air local channels regularly.

The Zune's don't have a screen with enough resolution for useful internet browsing. It's the same reason why most cell phone users with internet rarely use it. The wifi, however, could easily use internet access to get to a specially formatted Zune store, or a Zune formatted Amazon music store, etc. That same connection might let you download songs or videos you just purchased right to the Zune. There is also the possibility of specially formatted web pages for weather, stocks, email, and such. You don't even need a web page if you have an app on the Zune that simply pulls the data off the web. The Amazon Kindle takes advantage of the Kindle's network connection to sell books. You can search for, find, pay for, and download a book all on the Kindle. Amazon keeps making money from kindle owners, even if they don't have a PC. Put the same cell-based networking in the Zune instead of the limited wifi, and imagine how much more music Microsoft would sell. You're on the bus. You hear a song someone is playing on their boom box. You access the Zune store on your Zune and with one click have it downloaded right to your device. You spent 99 cents for a song and you didn't need to be anywhere near a PC. If you're on the subscription plan the song was already covered.

Yes, if you have no easy access to wifi then a Touch or a Zune with similar features would not be any more useful than devices with no wifi. I have wifi at home and at work (a state university) and despite having a computer in every room of my house except the bathroom, I love using wifi on my Touch to stream music off my home server. I can be out on the deck or mowing the yard, and listening to music that lives on my server and not on my Touch. I can even listen to music I don't own as there are web sites with free streaming music to try, and videos available from Youtube. I can check my email without booting up a PC. I can check the weather before getting dressed for work in the morning, without booting up a PC or turning on a radio or TV. I can check my stocks on the Touch, again anywhere I am, regardless of how close to a working PC it is. You can see, I hope, why I might like more features on the Zune to take advantage of the wifi I have.

4D