android
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Default request for help with getting playlists on Rockbox

Hello,

I've got Rockbox on my Sansa, but I can't quite figure out the best way to get a playlist from my computer to the Sansa, along with the associated music files.

I've read about how you can create playlists on the fly pretty easily with Rockbox, but I'd like to create a playlist on my computer and then transfer that playlist with the songs in it to the Sansa.

Can someone give me the detailed steps, or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

rockbox uses standard m3u playlists. You can make them in foobar or winamp or whatever.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:10 AM

Default Playlists

Personally I use Playlist Creator 3.5
http://www.oddgravity.de/
Makes .m3u lists where you want.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the replies.

But, how do I get the playlist and the songs on the player? Where do I copy the playlist to on the Sansa under Rockbox? How do I make it so the songs copy over too? It seems that if I make a m3u playlist and copy it over, that I would just have the playlist file and not the associated songs.

Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
Thanks for the replies.

But, how do I get the playlist and the songs on the player?
drag and drop

Quote:
Where do I copy the playlist to on the Sansa under Rockbox?
where ever you want to play them from

Quote:
How do I make it so the songs copy over too?
m3u files are just a list of file paths, so as long as you preserve the directory structure you had when you made them, they continue to work.

Quote:
It seems that if I make a m3u playlist and copy it over, that I would just have the playlist file and not the associated songs.
Yes this is true, so make sure to also add music to your player or else the playlist files won't be very useful.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks again for the info.

Where specifically do I want to copy the playlist and songs to on the Sansa? So, there's no way to automatically sync the playlist and associated songs with Rockbox? I was used to doing this in the original firmware through WMP.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
So, there's no way to automatically sync the playlist and associated songs with Rockbox? I was used to doing this in the original firmware through WMP.
There is a way. You can use for example Media Monkey an then you have to manage the settings the way yozu want it. E.g. you can manage auto-sync options for one specific playlist in MM (you can set the pathes for the music files and for the playlist file). You can auto sync this playlist to the player and it will copy the playlist and the music files of the playlist to your player.

Upps, sorry I didn't read the post proberly
I think, you can just still use WMP for syncing and then you reboot to rockbox, browse to the .mu3-file and just start it

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaus View Post

Upps, sorry I didn't read the post proberly
I think, you can just still use WMP for syncing and then you reboot to rockbox, browse to the .mu3-file and just start it

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that method will work fine for the Original firmware and give the player a set of .pla files. You would then need to load up rockbox and convert the .pla file to a .m3u8 file. Correct?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that method will work fine for the Original firmware and give the player a set of .pla files. You would then need to load up rockbox and convert the .pla file to a .m3u8 file. Correct?
I'm not working with WMP, so I don't know which format the playlist are, but I think that Rockbox got an intern playlist-converter.
And if that's not working, than you can use one of the programms for playlist converting in this forum.
If you use Media Monkeys, you don't have this problem and you can make much more settings for syncronisation.