android
Old 09-23-2006, 04:52 AM

Default Help picking earbuds

I need some help picking earbuds. No, this isn't a lounge anymore.

I've got a small question.
Is there something I should know about the Sennheiser MX500 earbuds before I buy them? Are both splitting cords equal in length?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-23-2006, 05:38 AM

Yes, there is something you should know. The Koss KSC-75's blow them away at the same price point.

Yes, the cords are perfectly symmetrical in length.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:33 AM

That's good to know, fanboyism, but the Koss KSC-75 aren't earbuds. I'm looking for inexpensive earbuds that produce good sound quality. Are the Sennheiser MX500 earbuds worth the price? How's the sound quality?
According to reviews I read about them, they are really worth the price. Anyone here have some personal experience with them?
If someone here owns them, please let me know. I have a few more questions about them.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:18 AM

For earbuds they're sufficient. I have the MX300's (from an old Rio player) and they sounded fine before the left channel started shorting out. Definitely superior to just about any pack-in.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 AM

The MX400 and MX500 have pretty good sounding mids and treble, but have no bass whatsoever. The cables are Y-type, not J, fortunately. I used them for nearly 2 years.

Don't buy the MX550 (the one with the in-line volume-control), it doesn't sound as good as the MX500.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:02 AM

Wait, so you're saying that that volume-control is actually a minus? Damn, that was one of the main reasons I wanted to buy it...
Plus, the white version kind of resembles the new iPod earphones so I can show off to people and say that I got the ALL NEW THAT NO ONE HAS YET earphones, but I'm too good for the actual iPod. :P

I was sure they have bass, too. I can't give up bass... Then I won't be able to bob my head up and down.

Alright, new topic; any earbud suggestions? Preferably not those ear-canal types.
Thanks.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:21 PM

Yes, the cheap resistor in the line-in volume control makes the sound worse. Usually it also starts crackling after a while, when you adjust the volume...

Why no IEMs for you? There's no earbud that comes even close in bass reproduction (and attenuation of external noises). Even my dearest enemy, the horrible crappy Sony EX71 sounds better than most earbuds (the MX's have better treble and clarity, though). I'd take the CX300, best price/value ratio, IMO.

I'd hate to suggest that you buy any Sony product, but the Sony MDR-E888 earbuds might be better in the low-frequency department than the MX's... they're pretty expensive for earbuds, though (~60 Euros - typical for Sony).

Or listen to Fanboyism: the KSC75 are really good (bigger) earbuds for the price. Even the nerds at Head-Fi like them.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 PM

I dunno.. I've always thought of IEMs as not an option because it's probably require the user to have his ears clean pretty much all the time, unless you want Icy Blue to magically turn into Mustardy Yellow.

Isn't it like that?

Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 PM

Just think of it as a good incentive for better hygiene.

Keep a Q-Tip dispenser next to your razor and just give your ears a quick swabbing out after each shower. Besides, if your ears are that waxy, how will the sound from non-iems penetrate to your eardrums?

ZV:M (black)
Zen V (4 Gig)
Zen Microphoto (orange)
Zen Nano Plus (red)
Sandisk Sansa m240 (backup DAP)
PA2V2 amplifier
AKG K240 Studio, Shure E4c-n, Shure E2c, Koss Sparkplugs, Koss KSC75, Creative EP630
BSE, Kroo black silicon case, black Kroo Forza & Melrose cases, i-tec aluminum case, Case Logic WMPC5

Old 09-23-2006, 12:37 PM

All right, fine! I'll admit it! If someone wants to listen to one of my songs, and he uses my IEMs, then they'll get desterilized and picky me won't be using them till they're taken to a NASA office and each and every micro-germ is burnt to oblivion with a jet-packed, alien-killing, tank-smoshing, iron-vaporizing laser.
There, I said it.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM

Have a spare set of silicone flanges or foamies with you - for when other people listen to your stuff.

Or buy yourself the CX300, and buy the MX500 for the other people.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam
All right, fine! I'll admit it! If someone wants to listen to one of my songs, and he uses my IEMs, then they'll get desterilized and picky me won't be using them till they're taken to a NASA office and each and every micro-germ is burnt to oblivion with a jet-packed, alien-killing, tank-smoshing, iron-vaporizing laser.
There, I said it.
LOL! Sounds like me... Nobody else gets to listen to my phones.

ZV:M (black)
Zen V (4 Gig)
Zen Microphoto (orange)
Zen Nano Plus (red)
Sandisk Sansa m240 (backup DAP)
PA2V2 amplifier
AKG K240 Studio, Shure E4c-n, Shure E2c, Koss Sparkplugs, Koss KSC75, Creative EP630
BSE, Kroo black silicon case, black Kroo Forza & Melrose cases, i-tec aluminum case, Case Logic WMPC5

Old 09-23-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Have a spare set of silicone flanges or foamies with you - for when other people listen to your stuff.
Good idea. I'll look into these so-called IEMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Or buy yourself the CX300, and buy the MX500 for the other people.
Sure will. ;P

Old 09-23-2006, 12:47 PM

I keep my pack-in iAudio buds with me for friends to give my X5L a trial. They don't really complain, as I don't think they'd feel comfortable with my Etymotic ER4P's. Besides, ear buds still rest in the outer ear, and therefore they're still fairly dirty in practice.

If you must have cleanliness when sharing, circum- and supra-aural headphones are the way to go. The KSC-75's are where it all starts.

In my experience the KSC-75's are highly superior to my ER4P's in a quiet environment due to their open presence. The ER4P's are much preferable in louder environments or anywhere where ambient noise is present.

I'd consider what matters the most to you in that case, before making a definite purchase.

Remember, when you touch a headphone, you're touching every ear that headphone has ever been put on/in.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:56 PM

Whoa whoa whoa.... According to this image, the CX300 IEMs aren't Y-type.

edit: Uh-oh... another boo-boo. Look at Audiophile's and Groovy Geek's customer reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-...&s=electronics

Why do earbuds have to be so difficult to find? I just want some decent-sounding earbuds with at least some bass, at a fair price.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 AM

CX300 no bass?

That is absurd, in fact it may have a little too much bass- unless you dont get a good seal. That said the creative EP-630 is virtually the same but with a symmetrical cable and a little cheaper.

edit: What is your price range?
edit:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...d-20/ref=nosim

Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 PM

In the few IEM reviews I have read, people have complained about noises when the cord hits your shirt or any other object.
Are IEMs really the way to go? If someone can tell me about IEMs' cord sensitivity, it'd be much appreciated.

I'd like something under 20 USD, but I'm willing to go over if it's really worth it. I don't need earbuds for superb sound for using all the time; I want them to have decent sound and no crackling or fuzziness whatsoever.

I found the MX500's at a fair price, so I might just buy both them and an IEM.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:44 PM

All IEMs make some noise when the cables hit something, I don't find it too bad on my CX300, barely noticeable walking around or during stationary listening.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:03 PM

I see.

I think I'll buy an MX500 and a CX300. I'll look around for good prices first.
Might be a couple of weeks before I actually get them, though. Patience is a virtue, grasshopper.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:32 PM

If you are in the US I would suggest you go with the EP-630, almost exactly the same sound for half the price.