android
Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Samsung S5J MTP to UMS

Has anyone had any success changing the YP-S5 from MTP to UMS? Is there a DFU available? I have attempted to use the Hongkong UMS firmware but no luck.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 PM

i have mtp
what would be best

Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 AM

UMS or as samsung calls it MSC devises can be used as a usb thumb drive on most microsoft, Mac and Linux Computers. MTP devise can can only be used by windows xp with media player 11 or higher and vista .Even with the most current updates, it might not work with XP. I have heared that some people can get it to work in Linux with a media manager but It takes some playing around. On a UMS device, you can plug in the device in to the computer and drag and drop you songs in what ever way you wnat. With a music manager or just stick them in a directory. For example my s5 will not work on my comuputer at work because of it doens't have Media player installed. MY YP-U3 (after finding how to change firmware to ums) works fine. Just like a USB thumb drive. What make me mad is that the UK, Korea and Hongkong models come as ums and the North American Models came as MTP. I still have not found anything that MTP does that UMS Doesn't.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:09 AM

Ok. I found how to get the Samsung s5 into DFU mode. Press the rest button and the power button at the same time, then plug it into you computer. But know what? It is discovered by XP as a Blues usb dfu device. I have been unsuccessful in finding a driver or a DFU for it. any Ideas?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Samsung Moderator

You probably need a DFU loader. There is one for YP-U3 but I don't think it will work with S5.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM

i think you are right. I have a DFU'ed Yp-U3 (currently my favorite mp3 player even compared to my psp and Ipod's) I just haven't had any luck finding one for the S5 or any info on how to build one.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Samsung Moderator

did someone test P2 FWDN with S5?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=26367

It worked also with a T10.
So maybe you could put a UMS firmware

Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 PM

I Just tried the FWDN metioned above. No luck. I can get it in to DFU mode but The FWDN just sits there. How was the original FWDN for the P2 found? on the samsung website? And how was it discovered to use "SDRAM Size to: 32M-32bit-0x20000000"? I have found a Blues USB device driver but that is it.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM

I did this holding the power button and reset the s5 with connecting it to the USB in the same time (you need 3 hands!) and then it was detected as an USB drive (i saw "USB MODE" on the S5 screen)
but the it freezes and I had to bring it back to the shop because no formating or rebooting or doing the same sequence as in the beginning helped me out of this state .....
for me the secret is behind the cryptic parameters in the config file which comes with the firmware ...

regards

Alex9

Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
I did this holding the power button and reset the s5 with connecting it to the USB in the same time (you need 3 hands!) and then it was detected as an USB drive (i saw "USB MODE" on the S5 screen)
but the it freezes and I had to bring it back to the shop because no formating or rebooting or doing the same sequence as in the beginning helped me out of this state .....
for me the secret is behind the cryptic parameters in the config file which comes with the firmware ...

regards

Alex9
IT WORKED!!!
I just modified the config.dat which came with the 1.5 korean firmware in the second line like this:

EU EU UMS (instead of KR KO UMS) and now I have USB-Stick behavier and FM-RDS.

So the secret is in one of the two "EU" - for Europe and in "UMS" for the USB funkionality.
You can modify the config.dat and do a reboot on the S5 as often you like (you have to copy the
firware itself to the S5 everytime, because it disapears after first power on)
till you have the right combination you want.

regards

Alex9

Old 07-04-2008, 04:12 AM

Hmm so Alex9 used:
  • korean firmware + EU EU UMS
I still have not seen confirmation whether
  • european/american firmware + EU EU UMS
would work? I believe someone thought it might, but there was no confirmation?