android
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 PM

Default Question about MicroSD card

This may or may not have been answered before... I'm new to the forums, so sorry if this has been asked or if it's common knowledge... I've read/heard that when you use a card to expand your player, it recognizes it as there being music in two different places... So say i had song A on the actual player and song B on the card, would I be able to hear song A on shuffle, then hear song B? Or would I have to switch the source of where I wanted to hear from...? If that makes sense...

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If it is like my e280R, yes, it should shuffle between the internal memory and the mircoSD card.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 AM

Songs are physically stored in different places: internal memory and microSD Card.
But when you turn the player on, it would say "Creating database..."
The database is unique and includes all the songs stored in both the memory "places", and where a single song is stored won't make any difference to it.

In other words: don't worry, it will work.

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View

Old 02-16-2008, 05:12 AM

mandron, welcome to abi >>

BTW, I can attest to the v1 integration … please deposit 25˘ into the meter

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the quick replies everybody

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 AM

The sansa express will not separate the songs from the player and the card.
If you only want to play the song in the player, simply remove the card.
If you want to play songs from the card, too bad, you can't.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:18 PM

Default can't see the songs

I just purchased my Sansa Express a few hours ago, and I'm trying to get music to play from my MicroSD card. It doesn't appear to detect any music from it though. If I transfer some songs from the External to Internal memory, then the player can see them, but not from the SD card directly. I tried creating a "Music" directory to store them on the SD card, but no go.

What could the problem be?

It's a 4GB PNY card.

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiaFhir View Post
I just purchased my Sansa Express a few hours ago, and I'm trying to get music to play from my MicroSD card. It doesn't appear to detect any music from it though. If I transfer some songs from the External to Internal memory, then the player can see them, but not from the SD card directly. I tried creating a "Music" directory to store them on the SD card, but no go.

What could the problem be?

It's a 4GB PNY card.

Thanks.
Did you format the card before starting to use it, as I'm assuming your music is tagged correctly or the player wouldn't see it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

SiaFhir, do you have the latest firmware installed? If not, that might be your issue. Most 4GB microSD cards are microSDHC cards. Those older firmware does not work with the microSDHC cards very well.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:54 PM

Yes I do, that was the first thing I tried after finding out problems with SDHC. Turns out the players on store shelves (at least in Canada's Future Shop stores) now come with firmware version 01.01.05A2. However I did get it fixed, and here's how I did it for anyone else who has problems. Linux may be required, Macs might be able to do it too. Windows sucks.

I fixed the problem by using the Sansa Express to format the card. Then it worked as an MTC device, but then it wouldn't work on Windows XP as a mass storage USB device. Just caused Windows Explorer to hang. That's a problem because the microSD card came with a USB adapter, so I was planning to use it as a USB drive when not using the Sansa. There was no way it seemed to format using Windows or its command line.

Bring Linux in to the picture: that was the other reason it's essential for me to have the card formatted as a USB mass storage device, as I use Linux full-time at home (I started playing with it from work), and MTC support in Linux is weak so far. Again I couldn't read the card, but this time it gave me an error that it couldn't be mounted. I realized then that if the system tried to mount it, it must be registered in the system device list. So then it was a matter of using FDisk to delete the partition, then mkfs to rebuild a FAT32 partition. That all worked, since those commands work with the device directly rather than from a mounting point. The card then worked as a USB mass storage device again.

Then I tried it in my Sansa player. Amazingly, it was also able to detect the songs from it! So my conclusion is only format it using Linux, not Windows or the Sansa Express player (can't comment on Macs because I don't have access to one).

Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Default SDHC working on my SE

I updated my SE to 01.01.05A hoping that it would support larger than 2gb microSD which I already had. My earlier issues with SE not starting went away as I started using that 2gb Sandisk card. So after the new firmware update I bought a 4gb Sandisk SDHC card and straight away, without any formatting of the new card, I transferred my music files from internal 2gb memory and external 2gb memory to the new 4gb memory via the usb adapter which came included with the card. OS by-the-way is Windows XP. When I finally got to test the card I noticed that the files in the internal memory showed normally but the player indicated in the settings that there is a 4 gb card but it is empty which really contained almost a 4gb of music! So it didn't even update the database from the SD at start-up. Next thing was to format the card with SE. After that I plugged the card with the usb adapter to my PC but it stated that there is some kind of an error and it couldn't open it, not even format it in Windows. Still I was able to view and transfer files in and out from the card when using it via SE. Altough it still didn't work when trying to play the files in my SE.

So I came up with an masterplan! I put the microSDHC card to my Canon A590 digital camera with an microSD to SD adapter. I formatted the card using the menus of the camera. After that it worked properly in Windows as an usb mass storage device when using it via the usb adapter. Because of that I was now also able to format it in Windows. After formatting in Windows I transferred some test songs to the card via the card slot of SE, in other words the SE plugged in usb and the card plugged in SE. Then I put it in my SE and during the start up it did, for a pleasant surprise, start to build the database from the SD as it normally should do. The songs were all there for me to play them as they was in the old 2gb card too! The next day I transferred (via SE card slot) the test songs off from the card and filled it with my favourite tunes and it worked like a charm!

My conclusion:Update to 01.01.05A. Use, if possible, Sandisk microSDHC card. Just to be sure, others might still work also, but at least my Sandisk works now. First thing is to FORMAT the card in windows, then transfer your music or whatever to the new card using the SE.

I hope this will help someone out there!

And remember, if allmighty Windows is unable to read and/or format the card, you might still be able to format it in other devices as for example digital cameras which after you might also to be able to format it again in Windows.

Last edited by VictorKilo; 08-06-2008 at 01:43 PM.