android
Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 PM

Default faceless rockbox- can this be done

The weak spot of the Sansa e200 series seems to be the LCD, they will all break eventually. Since I've got a few broken ones I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a scaled down, mini-rockbox. No themes, no apps, no games, none of the great Rockbox tasty goodness. Just a way to keep Sansas out of the landfill - 2 menus 1 is for play, other is usb preferences - msc or mts. Thats it no recording, no radio. Just play mp3's or dock it.

Can rockbox be compiled like this, to help all the broken Sansas piling up in the world?

Does anybody think this is a practical option, or should I just add hoops and loan them out as earrings?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 PM

Well... Rockbox come with voice menu so technically, you'll be able to use Rockbox normally without ever looking at the LCD screen.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

why do you say that they ALL break eventually? I've had mine for over 2 years and it's been all good for that time...

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've had two in the past year (I kinda fried the first one, and this one has a crack in the faceplate) but even so, you can always just use the voice menus and turn off the lcd.

Quote:
other is usb preferences - msc or mts.
Rockbox doesn't have USB support.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Is it just a bit that toggles to indicate mts or msc in the sansa prefs? I only use mine as a removable usb drive, so its just for folks that like to use a music manager like winamp or wmp etc. Could the bit be toggled from a 3rd party utility like Rockbox, or is it impossible to tinker with the Sansa native files?

I hadn't thought about the voice menus, have to give it a try. I haven't broke one of my own yet, but I have purchased several off ebay that appeared to have a rough life, one appeared to have been run over by a vehicle, the titanium/aluminum alloy back was warped into a concave shape, needless to say the LCD did not take well to the bending process.

I say they all break because I work with laptops and with present technology the best they can do is a few years before the backlight dies or the address lines pull away and artifacting and banding begin to appear. Also the mobile nature of the device increase the propensity of it being manhandled and dropped.

guess I'll start reading up on the voice interface.

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_rompack View Post
Is it just a bit that toggles to indicate mts or msc in the sansa prefs? I only use mine as a removable usb drive, so its just for folks that like to use a music manager like winamp or wmp etc. Could the bit be toggled from a 3rd party utility like Rockbox, or is it impossible to tinker with the Sansa native files?
It would be possible to toggle the bit that is used to switch between MSC and MTP in the OF. However, it'd require multiple (at least two) firmware dumps to figure out where that bit is, and then a modification to the Rockbox bootloader to set it as it does the bit to disable the database refresh.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 AM

It's a good idea, though, if/when USB support is completed.