android
Old 02-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Still unsure about D2...

Alright, now that I got chased out of the Zen forums for inadvertently derailing a thread, I'll continue the discussion over here where it's proper

So, the D2. I really, really like the device itself but I have a lot of issues with it that may prevent me from buying it. I'll give up my search for a high capacity player if I can balance it out with other features, which the D2 certainly has no shortage of. Here's a quick rundown of things I'm not sure about, for anyone who wants to drop in and lend a hand.

1. 3000 file limit. I'm aware it's per format, e.g. 3K mp3 files, 3K OGG files, etc, but a large portion of my library is in 256-320k mp3. I could do some converting I guess.

2. Cowon yanking 16GB SDHC support. I read a couple posts about this, anyone care to clarify what's going on? Do I just not upgrade to the latest firmware to avoid that?

3. Juggling multiple cards. I like to have most of my tunes with me, so I'd most likely have at least two 16GB cards that try to split up my library by genre. I don't like the idea to start with, but if I could find some sort of low profile case that has a card sleeve I could cope.

I have a feeling that if I just suck it up and make some personal concessions I'll get talked into buying a D2 eventually, but for now I'm still not convinced. It's the top of my list though, and as a player it has everything I could ever hope for except storage capacity.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1. Have you check how many of your files there are for about 16GB? Because I can only fit 1600 on an 8GB card, and they're mostly ~192 VBR, so I doubt you'd even be able to reach the limit on with 256-320kbps MP3s on a 16GB card.

2. I believe a number of people had problems with x.53, other versions definitely support 16GB card, there don't seem to be as many problems with x.54 firmware versions.

3. Swapping is easy, just pop a card out whenever, pop another one in, and wait for it to rebuild the library. I use the Noreve case, it has an SD card slot, and other cases do also.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 PM

I don't think the file limit is per file format (3k for mp3, 3k for wma, etc), i think it's 3000 OVERALL for the player, plus another 3000 on the sd card, for a total of 6000 with sd card.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopScribe View Post
3. Swapping is easy, just pop a card out whenever, pop another one in, and wait for it to rebuild the library. I use the Noreve case, it has an SD card slot, and other cases do also.
I just have a bad habit of misplacing memory cards. I've lost three or four SD cards in my years of using PDAs, phones, cameras etc. If the case has a pocket for cards that should prevent me losing things so often.

I think, were I to buy a D2 right now, I would use the 8GB internal for my OCRemix collection (about 6.5GB right now, 1500 files) and split my other genres between two 16GB cards. 40GB is certainly an upgrade even if it does involve switching cards occasionally.

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely leaning towards buying a D2 if I go through with a new player purchase in the next month. I'll see how the hard drive replacement on my X5 goes (out of warranty DIY fix), but regardless I've been planning on a new player for awhile.

...I told you I'd get talked into it eventually.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The D2 is still expensive though. Perhaps some might say it is inexpensive compared to an A3 or Q5. It would be interesting if Cowon could drop the retail price of a 4 gig D2 to $100 before the summer. Perhaps that might happen if Apple drops the price of its 4 gig Nano to $100 or less. Flash memory prices seem to still be dropping rapidly.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The D2 is still expensive though. Perhaps some might say it is inexpensive compared to an A3 or Q5. It would be interesting if Cowon could drop the retail price of a 4 gig D2 to $100 before the summer. Perhaps that might happen if Apple drops the price of its 4 gig Nano to $100 or less. Flash memory prices seem to still be dropping rapidly.
I see it on the net all the time for around $150.00 and sometimes even cheaper, for $50.00 why wait. By the summer, there will always be something bigger and better you’ll want. Sooner or later you have to take the leap.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I see it on the net all the time for around $150.00 and sometimes even cheaper, for $50.00 why wait. By the summer, there will always be something bigger and better you’ll want. Sooner or later you have to take the leap.
Perhaps we might see a 16 gig D2 by the summer? It would be cool if a 16 gig D2 becomes available for under $175 by the end of June. The difference between $100 and $150 is tremendous for many people. If someone doesn't have a working mp3 player then they might want to rush out and buy one now and pay more, but many others have a working mp3 player but are thinking about buying one with more capacity and more features than what they have now.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Perhaps we might see a 16 gig D2 by the summer?
I very much doubt that, considering Cowon's already working on the D3, the successor of the D2.

Quote:
The difference between $100 and $150 is tremendous for many people.
Cowon always was expensive, and probably always will be. It's a fact (and the U5 should probably be the exception to that rule). If someone's not willing to pay this premium, there are still other brands around. You might not get the features, build- or sound quality, but that's what you pay the premium for. FWIW, I see no alternative to players like the X5, D2, etc. However, people that don't need the BBE enhancements, stellar battery life, totally open approach (codecs, file browsing, and connections) can certainly look elsewhere. But, if you want to play your APE/FLAC/Vorbis files (which you selected via a file/folder list) with Mach3Bass for 40+ hours then you probably don't have many other choices besides Cowon. There's always less expensive brands like Sandisk or Creative for people that don't need these features or that level of quality.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Perhaps we might see a 16 gig D2 by the summer? It would be cool if a 16 gig D2 becomes available for under $175 by the end of June. The difference between $100 and $150 is tremendous for many people. If someone doesn't have a working mp3 player then they might want to rush out and buy one now and pay more, but many others have a working mp3 player but are thinking about buying one with more capacity and more features than what they have now.
yea and if you wait long enough you'll see the D3

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Default iAudio unsure to buy...have questions

i was quite impressed with the specs of the Cowon iAudio D2 but would like to know a little bit more: 1. how many playlist (of your mp3's) can you create? 2. is the touchscreen as sensitive as the iPod touch or the samsung p2? 3. can you easily upgrade the firmware just like any other player? 4. can you "bookmark" or "queue" as song so it can play next to the current one playing? 5. it worth buying the d2 now coz ive heard the "D3" is apparently to be released this year

Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino_76ph View Post
i was quite impressed with the specs of the Cowon iAudio D2 but would like to know a little bit more: 1. how many playlist (of your mp3's) can you create? 2. is the touchscreen as sensitive as the iPod touch or the samsung p2? 3. can you easily upgrade the firmware just like any other player? 4. can you "bookmark" or "queue" as song so it can play next to the current one playing? 5. it worth buying the d2 now coz ive heard the "D3" is apparently to be released this year
I don't have a D2 myself (well, not yet) but I can field some of your questions.

2. From what I've read the D2's touch interface is at least as good as the P2's if not better.

3. Cowon players tend to have simple and quick firmware upgrade processes, and judging by the ton of modded firmwares (themes) and frequent official updates the D2 is no different.

5. I wouldn't count on it. The only real evidence we have is the D3 will be revealed within 6 months. That could mean announced in Korea in 6 months, which translates to quite a long wait elsewhere in the world.

About question #4, the feature you're referring to is the Dynamic Playlist I believe. I'll venture a guess it's included on the D2, but would a D2 owner clarify that for me? I really love the DPL on my X5

Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In MTP mode you can create as many playlists as you want AFAIK, but there's only one Dynamic Playlist (that is, you can't save the DPL and then make another). You'll always have to add or delete songs from the DPL, or wipe it and begin from scratch.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Just wanted to drop by and say that I ordered my 8GB D2 today. Thanks to the posters who helped me make the decision; I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get it next week!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great to know, Apex_. I hope you'll like your D2 as much as I like mine. Welcome to the club!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
Great to know, Apex_. I hope you'll like your D2 as much as I like mine. Welcome to the club!
I got my D2 yesterday and after a day of use I have to say I'm very, very impressed by it. I do wish it had 32GB or so, but I definitely believe the player makes up for quantity with quality. There are only a handful of minor issues I have with it, like the cover art being kind of small and the write speeds when copying tracks seem a tad sluggish...but all in all they're totally outweighed by the huge list of good things.

I'll post a detailed user review if anyone is interested. I could read reviews all day and not be convinced, but it never hurts to have more input.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM

Get a $60 SDHC card to bump it to 24gb, like me! ^.^

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Get a $60 SDHC card to bump it to 24gb, like me! ^.^
Way ahead of you my good man, I ordered both at the same time!

I'm absolutely in awe of the screen. The touch screen is smooth and easy to use, and using the top tactile keys to change songs in hold mode is brilliant. I encoded SNL's Best of Christopher Walken using JetAudio and put it on the D2 to test video playback and WOW. Blown away by the quality. Even my iPod diehard brother was impressed (which is saying something, since his grudging approval of a non-Apple product is high praise).

It's too bad my current music library mostly fills both the internal and 16GB card as it is. All in all I think taking a hit in memory for the sheer quality of the device (sound, video, interface...the works) is definitely worth the trade. I'd have liked an 80GB player, but I couldn't live without the EQ and sound enhancements Cowon has standard. Sorry Microsoft and Apple, looks like this round disk space alone won't win over this picky music lover.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Next step: if you haven't done it, get a protective skin from DX for your D2. I received mine today and can say it's great. Application is easy and fast.

About memory, 32 GB SDHC cards should hit the market soon, and their prices will drop as with 16 GB SDHC cards. The first 16 GB cards I looked at were around $180, and now you can get one for $60.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM

But what about file limits? Aren't 16gb cards pushing the D2's limit as is? 3,000int + 3,000ext?

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM

@ Almoxil: Aren't 16gb cards pushing the D2's file limit as-is? 32gb cards would require files over 10.92 megabytes to avoid the restriction of 3,000 files....

@ Apex: Oh, I hear ya man. If the D2 didn't hit the buzzer with build, sound, and feature quality, I would gladly take a player large enough to fit my favorites from my 164gb library. The D2 is also very nicely sized! ^.^ Everyone thinks its a camera when they first see it, too.

You really should get some nice IEM's or a really good portable headset to do its SQ justice, though. If you are really pressed for a budget, get some XBi or X3i's from Jaben. AFAIK, unbeatable (sound, not build) quality for a $57 phone. (Free shipping).

Also, build quality was stepped up in the 2nd revision. Apparently the cable is far more durable. If you have even a little DIY experience though, I wouldn't worry. Its easy to fix any cable damages... but not as easy as with UE's or other cable-replaceable phones!