android
Old 02-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Default P2 extreme test; Utah Skiing

It passed the test. 3 Days of skiing in Utah in extreme conditions including; high winds, near 0 temps, dropped in the snow 3 times and being pulled out of my pocket to discover it being completely engulfed in moisture. Not once did it fail me and did a fine job protecting itself against moisture and the elements without a crystal case. The screen itself seems to be pretty scratch proof without a screen protector. It sat if my pocket without one moving all about through feet of powder and movement in some of Utah's deepest most difficult trails and some good crashes, not a single scratch. Its safe to say I was pretty impressed with its performance in these conditions.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by term8r View Post
It passed the test. 3 Days of skiing in Utah in extreme conditions including; high winds, near 0 temps, dropped in the snow 3 times and being pulled out of my pocket to discover it being completely engulfed in moisture. Not once did it fail me and did a fine job protecting itself against moisture and the elements without a crystal case. The screen itself seems to be pretty scratch proof without a screen protector. It sat if my pocket without one moving all about through feet of powder and movement in some of Utah's deepest most difficult trails and some good crashes, not a single scratch. Its safe to say I was pretty impressed with its performance in these conditions.
That makes me more proud of the P2 .

@appleboys
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM

near zero temps? lol my P2 gets subjeted to around -44C (-47F) and I have dropped it in the snow about twice. still working good. I bet my friend could not say the same thing about her itouch though (wifi is basically useless) Ah, gotta love Saskatchewan!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 AM

-44C cant be good for it. the manual says dont go below 0 somewhere lol.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 AM

My laptop's been in -40C before. Comfortably under my arm playing music before I got the P2 as my new mp3 player. Tell that to the Dell guys :P

I've not subjected my P2 to any "tests" yet though.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

The usual reason companies warn against very cold temps is not for the cold, but instead for the condensation that happens when you bring the cold device into a warm space. Moisture in the air will condense on/in the device and it's the moisture that messes with functioning.

Extreme changes in temp can also create stress among parts, as different parts expand/contract at different rates depending on what material they are made of.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Wow had never thought about that 4DThinker. But when you live where it is cold (really cold this week) you can't much help the tempurature flux if you are going to use your player.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM

4DThinker is correct. Pretty much anything with PCB (Printed Circuit Board) will have that temperature caution/warning. Laptops and some iPods will also have it because if you're not careful, you can freeze the hard drive. Either it is frozen when you start it up, or moisture/microscopic impurities freeze and damage the platters and/or heads.

Usually, you can get away with this by putting your item in a ziplock bag or similar and allowing it to adjust to the temperature/humidity that way.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM

I wonder if you need extra cooling when overclocking a comp in -44 degrees ^^

Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
Wow had never thought about that 4DThinker. But when you live where it is cold (really cold this week) you can't much help the tempurature flux if you are going to use your player.

yupp.. itz really cold this week in canada... well i do like winters...:d & especially snow dayz:d

Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM

We almost never get snow days in Saskatchewan. Only on this one day when it snowed like 4ft!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinzhitan14 View Post
-44C cant be good for it. the manual says dont go below 0 somewhere lol.
Don't worry nothing happens to it :P It's constantly 10-35 here in edmonton and not a single problem with my p2. And I listen to it everyday (I have to walk to the bus stop)

Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 PM

wow!!! that's reliability 2 the core. my cousin's ipod 30GB got messed up after falling ont he floor ONCE . the only one nice thing the ipod's have:APPLE'S POPULARITY

Old 04-14-2008, 02:17 PM

I also went skiing in Utah with my P2 in my backpack and my moto s9's on my head. No problenms at all! My girl friends iPod 60GB literally "froze" after 1 hour. Gotta love Crapple ipods. P2 rules!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubmarkman View Post
I also went skiing in Utah with my P2 in my backpack and my moto s9's on my head. No problenms at all! My girl friends iPod 60GB literally "froze" after 1 hour. Gotta love Crapple ipods. P2 rules!
Amen to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjt View Post
wow!!! that's reliability 2 the core. my cousin's ipod 30GB got messed up after falling ont he floor ONCE . the only one nice thing the ipod's have:APPLE'S POPULARITY
Give your cousin a P2 instead.

John 3:16

Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM

I can't imagine anyone making a better quality unit than samsung. I treat my samsung players so poorly and they've always worked for me. I dropped the unit(t9) 25 feet and it landed into a puddle. it still works 100%.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by term8r View Post

A few pics of the extreme Utah Skiing might be nice

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM

i once had a older ipod 30gb vid 4th gen i think droped in a puddle still worked fine dropped it on a carpet and it quite literaly fell apart lol

Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>YeppBoy <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_239367", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
iSheep deserve to be put out to iPasture!

then to a iButcher shop

Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 AM

Yea! Samsung makes good Players!
I went for a trip with my Old Z5 to Niagra Falls droped it like 6 times from 7 feet while climbing some piles of snow :P, and it's ok! works good!