android
Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default U5 headphone jack on the bottom?

Why would they do that? I just noticed that on their website. I don't want a player with a headphone jack on the bottom. Oh well. I was thinking about buying a U5, however I think this will stop me from buying one. I wonder if any Cowon Iaudio employees read these message boards.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 AM

it is a turn off but i can live with it if i bought one.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"it is a turn off but i can live with it if i bought one."

So one would put the player in a shirt pocket upside down so the headphone jack is near the top of the pocket? When one holds the player, I guess they hold it on the sides and operate the front buttons with the thumb? I guess one could learn to hold this thing, however having the headphone jack on the bottom imo does look ugly though. Perhaps I need to try it out on person to see if the headphone jack on the bottom gets in the way while holding it.

Having the buttons on the D2 on a different side than the headphone jack might be annoying? If it is in a pocket with the headphone jack near the top of the pocket, then the buttons will be on the side of the player. It might not be that easy to press just the center button then? Why isn't more consideration given to ergonomics?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:55 AM

that's how a nano is and you see all the tools around worshipping them...

Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't have a U5, but I like the idea of a headphone jack being on the bottom of the player rather then the top
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 AM
ABI Invaluable

This is ridiculous, top - bottom – side … if that’s what’s important to you, cowon is better off without you

FWIW - I selected my cowon for the great sq, jeteffects, bbe, etc, etc, etc............

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"I don't have a U5, but I like the idea of a headphone jack being on the bottom of the player rather then the top"

I just thought of a possible reason for having the jack on the bottom. Perhaps it is to put the headphone amp as far as possible from the display? On some mp3 players there is audible noise when the screen is on. Perhaps a better way to solve this though is with good shielding, rather than putting the headphone jack in an awkward place.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"This is ridiculous, top - bottom – side … if that’s what’s important to you, cowon is better off without you "

Why riidiculous? Not only does it affect the appearance of the player, it affects how one holds and interacts with the player. Think about a car for example. does it matter if the steering wheel is on the right side or the left side?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"This is ridiculous, top - bottom – side … if that’s what’s important to you, cowon is better off without you "

Why riidiculous? Not only does it affect the appearance of the player, it affects how one holds and interacts with the player. Think about a car for example. does it matter if the steering wheel is on the right side or the left side?
You are ridiculous. Bottom is the best place for a headphone jack in any logical persons mind. That way the jack points up when you shove it in your pocket. Also, its great if you want to make a stand/dock as you can have one without wires. If you dont lik elogic, go buy something else

Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:

• Bottom ftw
  • Appearance much better
  • WTF does side of steering wheel side have to do with jack placement, btw I've owned a car with the steering wheel on the right and left, no change to appearance at all

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"You are ridiculous. Bottom is the best place for a headphone jack in any logical persons mind. "

Is that why most players have the headphone jack on the top?

"That way the jack points up when you shove it in your pocket."

That is if you put the player in your pocket upside down. If the player has the jack on the top, then the player can be put in the pocket right side up and have the jack at the top. When many people hold an mp3 player they like to have at least one finger under the player. This makes it more difficult to accidentally drop the player. Having the headphone jack on the bottom makes it harder to have a finger under the player to help hold it.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Think about a car for example. does it matter if the steering wheel is on the right side or the left side?
If you have any driving skill, it makes no difference where the wheel is...hell, put it in the back seat and i'll drive in reverse, i could care less as long as it's still a car...

Old 02-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
"it is a turn off but i can live with it if i bought one."
Quote:
"I don't have a U5, but I like the idea of a headphone jack being on the bottom of the player rather then the top"
Quote:
Quote:
"You are ridiculous. Bottom is the best place for a headphone jack in any logical persons mind. "

"That way the jack points up when you shove it in your pocket."
Could you please try to quote like everybody else, using the quote button? It's really hard to follow the thread when you just copy/paste quotes without names and reference.