android
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM

For those wanting to stick with free software, but don't or can't spend the time going through my method (links in signature), you can use DVDFab HD Decrypter (free version) and then Handbrake. I've tested this method with perfect results, although AVI on Zen often suffers from A/V sync problems. One method I've haven't tested, but looks promising, is an app called DVD-WMV. The download link on that page is broken for the moment. :-( And yet another app that looks promising but that I've never tried is AutoMKV, which can encode decrypted DVD rips directly to WMV.

Just some suggestions. :-)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
One method I've haven't tested, but looks promising, is an app called DVD-WMV.
Yeah, the download link is still broken. If you get a chance to try it out, lt me know how it goes. I've been wanting to try it out as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Yeah that's a bummer. Google does not pull up any mirrors or forwarding URLs. However, in the About section of the website is a link to Yahoo! Groups.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/moviepro/

Looks like members-only access to posted files there but...."there may be gold in them thar hills!" :-)

Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Saw this link to a torrent file for the program in the forum on the site. It works good.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 PM

First-time converter question: My 30-day trial on DVDFab 5 has expired, so I'm using DVDFab HD Decrypter for the first time. I've asked it to rip the biggest VOB file (which is the movie itself), which it did successfully. Now I'm trying (for the first time) to use Any Video Converter to format the file for my Zen, but when I locate the folder that contains the file, I'm surprised to see six indivdual VOB files. When I preview the files in AVC, it's apparent that the movie has been broken up into six pieces. When I convert them, will they remain as six pieces, or is there a way to join them back together into one complete movie? I'm trying to avoid the $50 cost for DVDFab (which worked perfectly in the 30-day trial, BTW). I don't mind doing two steps...can anyone help?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM

I don't mean to throw you off course from AVC, but good things are always said about AutoGK converting multiple VOB files to Zen-friendly XviD with little effort. It might be worth a lookey-lookey.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:27 AM

AutoGK is excellent for "layman's" DVD conversion needs. There is usually no reason to pay for a converter app... ever. There is enough freeware around that beats most payware by far.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From what he posts, it doesn't sound like his problem is with AVC, but with DVDFab HD Decrypter creating multiple VOB files. bodotdot, have you ripped this DVD before with DVDFab 5 and it didn't give you multiple VOB files?

You can always use a program (like VirtualDub) to join the multiple (AVI) files once converted.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Full-length movies are often spread across multiple VOB files. According to DVD-V standard, a VOB file cannot be larger than 1GiB, so movies that require more space than that are bridged across enough VOB files to fit the movie.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, hopefully he can clarify. I couldn't tell if he didn't know he would have multiple VOB files or if he did it before and didn't have as many.

Quote:
No VOB file is to exceed 1GB in size, with a maximum total of five VOB files in sequence on a single layer disc (DVD 5) and no more than nine on a dual layer disc (DVD 9). VOB files have a naming standard: where VTS_xx_yy.VOB
From here.

I'm thinking maybe the DVDFab 5 program he used may have combines all VOB files into one like the older DVD Decrypter program could do.

So, I guess 3 ways comes to mind currently.... the first is either use a program that can decrypt the VOB's and combine them into one VOB file. Second, use a vob joiner program like JoinVOB or VOBMerge (both free). Third, use a program like VirtualDub (or other variants like VirtualubMod or VirtualDub-MPEG2) to join the encoded AVI files.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-11-2008, 06:47 AM

I'll throw out a fourth for the hard-core!

After I rip a DVD, I demux (separate) the audio and video into elementary streams using DGIndex; an AC3 file and a video index file that AviSynth uses in a script to pass the video on to a video encoder.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 AM

Bobby--Your first guess was right--I didn't know I would have multiple VOB files (thanks for the info, ZenChick). On a side note, I attempted to convert the individual VOB files with the DVDFab HD Decrypter (I'm trying to use all free software), but the audio had an annoying buzz in it that happened sporadically throughout each of the files (I used the "Basic" audio setting because it was a DVD--I'll try again with the "Default" setting). I'll also try the other free software you mentioned above (JoinVOB or VOBMerge) until I get it. Obviously, there's a really simple solution--the DVDFab 5 program I used for the 30-day trial worked perfectly, and combined all of the VOB files automatically--I would just load in a DVD and let it convert it overnight (the process takes several hours on my much-older PC--Win2000, 667mhz PIII processor bought in 2000). But I'll keep trying the free stuff--I don't have $50 to spend on this.
Thanks for all the tips--I'll let you know which combination works.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, thanks for clarifying. You may want to take the time to check out AutoGK like mentioned above to convert the multiple VOB files in one playable video file for the Zen. I don't believe AVC (at least the free version) will do this.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I'll try AutoGK. I used JoinVOB, then AVC to convert the joined VOB file. It took AVC (no lie) sixteen hours to convert with the suggested settings...but the file was still over 5GB. This isn't right--the converted file was almost the same size as the joined files! I tried a different DVD and conversion speed was trending the same. I chose not to wait another 16 hours and bailed. I'll try AutoGK and let you know how I did.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Really check your settings (resolution and bitrates). It shouldn't be taking that long (unless your computer is really under-powered) and the file size should not be that large.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have often had problems when converting individual .VOB files (which are really nothing more than container files for MPEG-2 and AC3). It is best to simply use a converter that can read the master .IFO file and convert/join the relevant .VOBs on its own.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Default DVD decryption and conversion issues

When decrypting a DVD, I use the free version of DVD Decrypter. It, of course, decrypts the movie files and saves them as (a ton) of .VOBs. But .VOBs aren't compatible with the Zen Media Explorer software, so how am I to get these decrypted files on my Zen?
SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8GB (black)

Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM

What you ask is a loaded question. There are many forks in the road after ripping a DVD. The path of least resistance would be to refer you to applications like AutoGK, SUPER, or Any Video Converter.

Also, check the sticky posts here. This has been covered like nothing else.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can use the pay version which, I believe, has a setting to output to 1 VOB file or (as kevo said), use a program that can handle converting them into one output file. You may want to check out the Zen FAQ as well for information. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 PM

Default DVDx encoding as I type..

I am using DVDx to encode to XviD/MP3 AVI as I type, Cast Away (I own the movie) was ripped to HD with DVDShrink, then opened the directory with DVDx, setup for 16:9 (320X180) and started encoding.

Encoding speed is 63fps, it should take 1 hour 10 min to encode a 2 hour 20 min video.

So, the resulting short I did, did in fact play on the Zen, video looked a lot better than with Any Video, I will post back as to whether the sync is right, and seeking also.

I am using Ver 2.9
You can download from here and check your results, YMMV.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=71998

The last time I used this software was Ver 2.1 or so, and IIRC there were a few bugs, however that was a LONG time ago, Id guess most if not all issues and new features also has been incorporated in Ver 2.10.

Andrew