android
Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks. That sounds like it might be complicated though. Do the D2, i7, and U5 all have the same basic sound quality? I realize that the output power differs somewhat between them but is the sound generally the same? Anyone here have at least two of these who can comment on how navigation differs between them. Sorry for all the questions, however it is so hard to try to understand these devices. How fast does the D2's battery lose power with disuse? Or put another way, if the player will play uninterupted for 48 hours on a full charge, how long will the battery last playing it 2 hours a day? Will it last close to three weeks, between 2 and 3 weeks, or under 2 weeks? if the player is fully charged and left off, how long can it sit idle and still have half a charge remaining?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2008, 04:18 PM

It is always very hard to make a decision like that. I have been thinking for around a month (i am a very cerful person when it comes to purchasing stuff, i dont like to waste money for stuff i wont use) and i chose the Cowon D2. There is actually no reason to get any other player.
There were actually 2 players that i took into concideration - iAudio 7 and cowon d2. After going to a shop where they had both, fully charged and with some sample music and video loaded there was no more hesitation for me. The D2 felt better in hand, has a much more clear display (bigger), is louder than i7 (though the i7 is also very loud). TBH i dodnt like the i7 touch buttons - they felt pretty unsure.
When it comes to sound - there is actually no sound quality difference in these two players. Some golden ear audiphile may tell you that D2 has more bass, but its a niuanse.

The D2 will play really long. Listening around 2 hrs a day will make you charge it very rarely. I listen to it around 5-6 hours a day, and I never actually plugged it to charge the battery because the battery charges when you upload music via USB. So the battery is great and makes the D2 exploatation very comfortable.

The navigation in D2 is not very intuitive but you will get the swing of it after a few days and there will be no problems.

The main inconvienience in D2 is the firmware that is pretty buggy. But firmware is a thing that is a work in progress (should it really be like that? :[ ) so mabby one day the iAudio programmers will manage to make a good firmware or rockbox will be ported to the D2.

If I were to buy a player now, jump back in time and have to make all the hard consumer decisoons again, I would go for the D2.

But hey why am I writing so much? Read a nice review from this portal and it might clear some things for you!
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-d2-review.php

cheers,

Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 PM

I have been tracking the 4GB D2 black price on amazon since christmas when it was 145. All of january it was 171 and only recently dropped to 145. During this period I have never seen it below 145 bucks. The white and red go for a little less.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks. I looked at that review before. A detailed review comparing the three players I mentioned would be nice. Even a photo of the three of them next to each other while playing would be helpful to see how the different screens compare. I guess the best comparison is a demo of each, but few stores will give a good demo. I like each of them for different reasons.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 PM

My D2 arrived at the start of January and it's been an almost-perfect player for me, besting my Zen Vision: M. It has a myriad of customizability options, amazing sound quality, and a very in-depth equalizer. I've had more troubles with it than with the Zen due to firmware (some corrupted album art, some weird mp3 feedback sounds), but overall, also thanks to a quite longer battery life, its smaller size, and good SDHC integration (with FW 2.51), it's been awesome.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks. I am starting to think that a D2 might not be a good choice for a player to do plenty of walking around with. I reread the review on this site, and they claim the player is not so easy to operate, especially while it is in a pocket. I might buy a D2 anyway since it looks like a cool gadget, but may get a simpler to operate player such as the U5 or i7 for my walks around town. I guess I will keep tracking the prices on these and see if they will decline in the next month or two. I wonder if ipod Nano prices drop, will the D2 price drop in tandem?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I reread the review on this site, and they claim the player is not so easy to operate, especially while it is in a pocket.
I wrote the review almost a year ago, running on a very old firmware. A lot has changed in the meantime, and the D2 got a lot easier to use, due to the key-mapping options.

That topic comes up fairly often, we should really make a sticky FAQ thread. Read more here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=25589
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=25235

Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 AM

JK98, did you try using this?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/compare/

Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"JK98, did you try using this?"

What I meant by a comparison between them is ease of use, and relative satisfaction by someone who has used the three players. Just seeing the raw specifications, or even reading reviews that don't compare the three wouldn't be that helpful. Typically I listen to an mp3 player while walking rapidly. I am also often carrying things, so I need a player I can easily control using one hand while it is in my shirt pocket. After reading reviews I am starting to get the feeling that the D2 might not be so good for this, and perhaps a U5 might be better? I might buy a D2 eventually anyway, since it looks like a great gadget. If I do buy a D2, I might use it mostly at home. is the U5 so new? I haven't found any reviews on it. The i7 looks good except for its tiny screen and thickness. I like the long battery life on the i7, but prefer the form factor of the U5. Why couldn't they have made the U5 a bit thicker but with the battery life of the i7? The slide control of the i7 is a mystery to me. It looks like it could either be hard to use, or a fast way to navigate. The i7 reviews I read seem to imply that one can learn to use it well. I wonder how it compares with the ease of navigation on the U5. Since I am confused, and I do have a working mp3 player (Creative n200 1 gig), I will spend more time thinking about this, and hopefully the prices on these players will drop quite a bit while I am waiting. It seems like flash memory prices will probably be declining quite a bit in the near future due to the RAM glut. Typically the same equipment can be used to make ram or flash memory.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The compare feature seems nice, however it is missing two important and hard to find specs, the bitrates supported(both the low end as well as the high end), and the power output in mw per channel into 16 ohms. Hopefully these will be added at some point.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Play speed-variable speed playback?

This is important for playing lectures, podcasts, books, etc. I noticed in the U5 and i7 instruction manuals that it is not supported for files with sampling rates under 44 khz. That is a major disappointment. Is this also the case with the D2?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 AM

I merged your recent threads. No need to start a new thread for each question.

The D2 supports vari-speed just fine for any bitrate. I just tested it for you with a 32kHz 56kbps VBR MP3. Newer firmwares can even do vari-speed on video files.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Why do you like the Samsung t10? It is only $20 less than the D2. The t10 also doesn't even come with a charger or have an SD slot. At $130 for the 4 gig version, the t10 doesn't seem at all interesting when compared to the D2. I guess if the t10 was priced at $70-80 then it would look intereting. The P2 is $30 more than the D2. The P2 doesn't even come with a charger. I guess those players sell at high prices due to the bluetooth, which I have no interest in. The 4 gig Zen at $90 does look interesting. Granted it is not as good as the D2. Perhaps it pays to just wait a few months and see if Cowon gets more aggressive on pricing. Many people don't want to spend over $100 for an mp3 player.
because the t10 plays any mp3 file I throw at it. even files at lower bitrates. I apologize for taking so long to respond, it seems I have come down with bronchitis.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Don't the D2, i7, and U5 also play low bitrate mp3 files? I guess the Creative Zen also plays low bitrate mp3 files.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 AM

Yes, they all do, but the samsungs are so dead sexy.

edit: I actually didn't mean to make that first post at all, I apologize. I just ran with it after that. I actually have both and I prefer the d2.