android
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Several questions

I often listen to lectures that are at 16kbps mp3. Will the D2 play these? When using the variable speed playback on the D2 at 1.5X for playing voice recordings, is the sound pleasant? Who sells the adapter cord for the D2 that enables recording through an external mic? Does the D2 make high quality voice recordings using an external mic? I do want to use this player to play music, but also want to use it for playing and possibly recording lectures.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I convert my audio books to LAME -v8 (around 56kbps VBR, 32kHz), and have no problems at all. I suppose even lower bitrates would work as well.

I never tried the pitch control, so I can't say anything about it.

For external mic recordings you would need a powered mic, the input on the D2 is line-level, as on almost all other players. The recording quality then would depend on the mic you use, but in almost any case it would sound better than the internal mic.

You can get the line-in cable here.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thank you for the reply, however you didn't answer my main question. Will the D2 play 16kbps mp3 files? I don't want to convert the files to a higher bitrate, as I want to avoid going through this step, and I also don't want the files to take up more space on the player. Keep in mind that I do want to put plenty of 256 kbps mp3 music files on a portable player together with many hours of lectures, many of which are at 16kbps mp3.
If it doesn't support 16kbps mp3 files then I might buy a Creative Zen instead, or I might wait for new models of mp3 players to appear.

What I really want is a player that runs on one AA battery, has a decent sized display, has an SD card slot, fits in a typical shirt pocket, supports 16kbps mp3, has decent volume(perhaps at least 18 mw per channel into 16 ohms?), variable speed playback, and a microphone jack. I would also like having both AM and FM radio. i currently use a Creative n200 (similar to the Nano Plus), which runs on a AAA battery. It plays my 16kbps mp3 lectures, however it is only one gig. It also has a very small display that is hard to see, and for some lectures that were recorded at a low level, the player volume is inadequate. Does the Creative Zen have a higher output per channel than the Nano Plus, or is it the same? Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the Creative Zen will copy the contents of an SD card to the main memory of the player, while the D2 doesn't have this capability? The Zen is also cheaper at $100 for the 4 gig verson vs arond $150 for a 4 gig D2.Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the Zen uses id3 tags for the main memory filing system, and uses folders for the SD card files. I would prefer to have everything sorted by folders. What happens in and id3 system if the id3 tag is missing?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I tested it for you. 16kbps/16kHz/mono MP3 works fine. So yes, every other bitrate will work on the D2 as well. (I used LAME -b 16 -mm --resample 16 for testing.)

The D2 certainly is a way better player than the Zen. With the D2 the internal memory and the external SD card are integrated, which the Zen doesn't handle (no cut/copy/paste on the D2, but at least the two memories are integrated). The D2 can do both, ID3 and file/folder browsing. It is way more flexible than the Zen. Not to mention MSC and MTP support. The output power of the D2 is also way higher than the Zen.

To my knowledge, there is not a single MP3 player with AM radio available.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"I tested it for you. 16kbps/16kHz/mono MP3 works fine."

Thank you. Good to know.

"To my knowledge, there is not a single MP3 player with AM radio available. "

There is a 1 gig Pogo Radio Your Way Mini that has AM and FM radio, and a microphone jack. It is only one gig though, and $100. I don't know how the sound quality is. In any case, I want a player with much more memory. I also don't like the fact that it uses two AAA batteries. Why couldn't they make it use one AA instead, and have at least 4 gigs of memory?

http://www.pogoelectronics.com/ryw_mini.html

There are also mp3 CD players that have AM and FM radio. I bought one by Panasonic a few years ago. The sound quality is great, but it uses two AAA batteries(or two AA batteries in an external battery case that is included with the player). It also only gives track numbers, not track names. So annoying. Being CD based, it is not shirt pocket sized though.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I should have rephrased that, to make it lawyer-proof: "There's no flash memory or HDD MP3 player from any reputable company with AM radio."

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default D2 price?

I have been researching the D2 and it appears to be a nice player, however imo it seems quite expensive! Around $150 for the 4 gig version? Has anyone here been charting the price? has it been dropping over time? When I discussed the player with some friends, they said they might be interested in the 4 gig version when the price drops to $100. How long do you think this will take? If you had to buy a player now, what would be your choice for a player under $100? How about for a player under $50? Under $75?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You get what you pay for. Build- and sound/screen quality, and the battery life of the D2 are worth the price. Get a 2GB version and put a 8 or 16GB SDHC card in it. Not worth paying the premium for higher capacity D2s, when SD cards are so cheap, IMO.

For (very) cheap, the Sansa Clip is a player I really like.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 AM

dftk is exactly right: The D2 is a tad expensive, but it is definitely worth it. The SDHC slot really sets it apart, since you are never tied into the player's original capacity. And since the cards are so cheap these days...

Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was considering the Clip and almost bought one, but before doing so I downloaded the instruction manual. In it, surprise surprise was stated that mp3 bitrates supported are from 64 kbps and up. I listen to many lectures that are at 16kbps and don't want to have to bother converting them, then having them take up 4x the space on the player. The battery life on the clip is only rated at 15 hours. I noticed the Clip got high ratings for sound quality. I was looking at the Creative Zen, but heard comments that the player's battery may lose significant power when the player is off. Some people bought the player thinking they could recharge it once a week and listen for 2 hours a day, and instead the player was out of power mid week. I was considering the Sony 615 or 616, but found out it doesn't support mp3 files below 32 kbps. The low end mp3 spec for many players is very hard to find. I guess this goes with the notion that mp3 players are for music only. The Creative Zen would be nice if only the battery drain problem would be resolved. Yes, I know that the memory on the SD card is separate from the main memory. That doesn't bother me though. AFAIK, the Zen supports 16 kbps mp3. I giuess iaudio has given up on their AA battery models. That is a pity, as I like the idea of using a AA battery.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"You get what you pay for"

I hate that expression. It makes no sense to me, since imo if one is not careful, they often get much less than they pay for.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:11 PM

4 gigs for $150??? where you buying from? for an additional $29 you could buy the 8 gig version(like me) and spend $39 for an 8gig sdhc card. you need to look around for the best deals. btw, i got mine directly from jetaudio. for $179 that was a steal. cause i paid $200 for the creative zen with the same amount of memory.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I was considering the Clip and almost bought one, but before doing so I downloaded the instruction manual. In it, surprise surprise was stated that mp3 bitrates supported are from 64 kbps and up. I listen to many lectures that are at 16kbps and don't want to have to bother converting them, then having them take up 4x the space on the player. The battery life on the clip is only rated at 15 hours. I noticed the Clip got high ratings for sound quality. I was looking at the Creative Zen, but heard comments that the player's battery may lose significant power when the player is off. Some people bought the player thinking they could recharge it once a week and listen for 2 hours a day, and instead the player was out of power mid week. I was considering the Sony 615 or 616, but found out it doesn't support mp3 files below 32 kbps. The low end mp3 spec for many players is very hard to find. I guess this goes with the notion that mp3 players are for music only. The Creative Zen would be nice if only the battery drain problem would be resolved. Yes, I know that the memory on the SD card is separate from the main memory. That doesn't bother me though. AFAIK, the Zen supports 16 kbps mp3. I giuess iaudio has given up on their AA battery models. That is a pity, as I like the idea of using a AA battery.
have a look at the samsung t10 or p2.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Why do you like the Samsung t10? It is only $20 less than the D2. The t10 also doesn't even come with a charger or have an SD slot. At $130 for the 4 gig version, the t10 doesn't seem at all interesting when compared to the D2. I guess if the t10 was priced at $70-80 then it would look intereting. The P2 is $30 more than the D2. The P2 doesn't even come with a charger. I guess those players sell at high prices due to the bluetooth, which I have no interest in. The 4 gig Zen at $90 does look interesting. Granted it is not as good as the D2. Perhaps it pays to just wait a few months and see if Cowon gets more aggressive on pricing. Many people don't want to spend over $100 for an mp3 player.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any thoughts about the U5? I noticed that a 4 gig U5 is under $100. It is half the thickness of the i7, but only has 24 hour battery life. It isn't that much cheaper than the i7, but it has a 1.8" screen vs only a 1.3" one on the i7. Am I correct in thinking that the i7 screen might be hard to read, and the screen on the U5 much easier to read? Any insights? I have not seen these players in person, just on the net. it would be nice if the screens on these players could be customizable, having just what you want on the screen and in the sizes you want it.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Does the SD card stick out significantly from the D2?

Or does the edge of the card just barely stick out? Why can't I find a photo on the net of the D2 with a card inserted?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, it doesn't stick out. It's almost flush with the body of the player. I'm upping some pics so you can see.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here are the pics.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks. The D2 is so cool, but so is the U5 and i7. I guess I want all 3. :-). Are there any high quality mp3 players that allow customization of the display? I find that certain things may be too small on the display, and stuff I don't want to see may be on the display.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's information on how to change font-sizes in this thread.

With newer firmware versions, the "Now Playing" UI on the D2 can be customized by applying flash skins. I haven't tried using them, though. There's a thread about them on iAudiophile. Some are really cool.