android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Need instructions to mount a new HDD in my Samsung YH-J70

Hi all!

Some months ago, the (20 GB) hard disk of my Samsung YH-J70 (battery had been recently replaced) broke.

I have now received a new 30 GB hard disk (Toshiba MK30006GAL) and would like to know what I must do to correctly format, mount and do whatever is necessary to make the YH-J70 work again properly.

Has this been explained anywhere? Is the procedure similar for all Samsung players? Has anyone done this before and can give me valuable hints?

Thanks for your help and advise!

bwprius

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwprius View Post
Hi all!

Some months ago, the (20 GB) hard disk of my Samsung YH-J70 (battery had been recently replaced) broke.

I have now received a new 30 GB hard disk (Toshiba MK30006GAL) and would like to know what I must do to correctly format, mount and do whatever is necessary to make the YH-J70 work again properly.

Has this been explained anywhere? Is the procedure similar for all Samsung players? Has anyone done this before and can give me valuable hints?

Thanks for your help and advise!

bwprius
Well, today I connected the new 30 GB hard disk to the Samsung. It was recognised immediately and also played correctly one music file. However, I might have to open another thread because I was not successful in copying music folders given that the copying process fails after one or two folders have been copied and the player disconnects itself. I also see messages like "No system files" or "No font file". I guess I might have to reinstall firmware or even format the new disk.

bwprius

Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Samsung Moderator

You will have to format the new disk and throw a complete firmware on the drive, almost guaranteed.

To format the disk from XP, right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage." Go to the tab called "Disc Management" and select the drive that your computer has assigned to the Samsung. Right click on it and select format. You will want to format in FAT32. When it's done, you'll have to follow the Samsung instructions for adding a firmware.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 PM

Default Formatting and firmwaring does not remedy the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You will have to format the new disk and throw a complete firmware on the drive, almost guaranteed.

To format the disk from XP, right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage." Go to the tab called "Disc Management" and select the drive that your computer has assigned to the Samsung. Right click on it and select format. You will want to format in FAT32. When it's done, you'll have to follow the Samsung instructions for adding a firmware.
Just to make sure, I followed this order. I formatted the player. Then I put firmware 2.07 on it. Tried to copy a folder with a bunch of subfolders and some hundred songs on it. But the same problem continues to occur. Error message saying the a certain file cannot be found and player automatically disconnects itself from the PC.

This looks like a hard disk error, doesn't it? I will try to copy files from a laptop to the player on Monday. But I am pessimistic about the possible result.

Only solution: return the hard disk to seller?

bwprius

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM

Hi bwprius et al.
Just wondering if you ever did manage to get your YH-J70 going again? You seem to be the only person on the whole internet who has even tried to install a new HD.

Well I'm going to have a go - can't bare (bear?) to throw 100 thing away just yet, so will instead throw good money after bad...
Have just ordered new (refurb) HD from ebay - it has exactly same codes on as existing one so here's hoping...

By the way , I think I saw somewhere that you got yours from 'Techsplosion' - so did I.
Cheers
md

Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 PM

Default I have still not finished the refurbishment of my YH-J70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartm View Post
Hi bwprius et al.
Just wondering if you ever did manage to get your YH-J70 going again? You seem to be the only person on the whole internet who has even tried to install a new HD.

Well I'm going to have a go - can't bare (bear?) to throw 100 thing away just yet, so will instead throw good money after bad...
Have just ordered new (refurb) HD from ebay - it has exactly same codes on as existing one so here's hoping...

By the way , I think I saw somewhere that you got yours from 'Techsplosion' - so did I.
Cheers
md
Hi!

Yeah, it's really strange that there are not loads of YH-J70 refurbishing their players with new hard disks.

I myself however am still in the middle of the process.

By the way, in the end I did not a hard disk buy from Techsplosion. Months after my Techsplosion plans I bought a 30 GB Toshiba hard disk from a Canadian e-bay seller. And making the new hard disk integrate into the player and the software was very very easy. It worked directly. And I succeeded to put around 15 GB of music on the player. BUT not everything was in order since the ID3 tags did not show correctly and I could only search music folder by folder not by artists or titles. And when using the library restoration from the Samsung Studio it always stopped at certain songs and disconnected safely by itself. Thinking that the disk (I don't remember whether it was supposed to be new; anyway, it did not look completely new) would be defective I sent it back, but the dealer said that he tested it and it worked fine and he reimbursed my money (less the 7 euros I had to pay to send it back to him, shit!).

Well, I am now waiting for a Toshiba 20 GB hard disk which I bought from an Irish e-bay dealer. I do hope that this will finally work fine with my good old YH-J70 which I believe I love more than when it worked fine (and had short battery duration although the battery was replaced for free by Samsung's technical service here).

Hope you and me are lucky and will have smoothly working YH-J70 players soon. I plan to use it in the office with the mains cable so that battery life would not be an issue for me any longer.

bwprius

Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Great to hear from you bwp,
Yes i saw that Canadian supplier on ebay too, he sent friendly but ultimately not really helpfull reply to my query for info/help.

I bought from a London seller; high-ish price on buy-it-now but I paid it because it matches exactly my original.
There seem to be a lot of variations in the letters on the line below MK2004GAL: After the bit that says HDD1442 mine says C ZF03 but I have seen (on ebay photos) P instead of C etc - I don't know what these mean.

Actually it was the player itself that I got from Techsplosion - a refurb unit, Christmas before last (its my daughter's really).

Many thanks for all the information from your experiences, I hope the next drive works out for you.
Did you format the drive with the format menu in Samsung Media Studio? I would have thought that that would set it all up properly. But what I am worrying about is whether that program will recognise the drive as a samsung device in the first place.

Anyway, we'll see... & I'll let you know.
Good luck with yours.
md

Old 03-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Thumb Up Done it.

Hey diddley-i-o ... It's done Here's how, in case anyone wants to know:

HD arrived this morning - pretty bloody good considering i just bought it at 2:30 yesterday afternoon!
But it is not the one pictured on ebay - it is MK2004GAL / HD1442 allright but after that; P ZG01 not C ZF03 as was my original. Also this one is Apple branded.
So I ground my teeth, emailed seller & tried to distract myself by actually doing my job while waiting for reply. He phoned in early eve & expressed opinion that they are exactly the same.
So I went ahead; charged battery first to make sure it wouldn't run out while setting up etc.

Opened player, took out HD, removed 50 pin board on little cable, untaped HD from rubbery surround, put in new one, taped, connected, etc & screwed it back shut. (I always have a little trouble getting the black back on - have to engage the little hooks at the bottom first and swing shut, but top doesn't go in easily).

Against better judgement I turned it on - got message saying "No system folder" but then it went on to (apparently) boot up - the 'Music' screen appeared. I switched it off.
Went to computer and plugged it in with USB cable.
It seemed to connect straight away but 'My Computer' window froze and 'Samsung Media Studio' didn't seem to see it.
It did appear in 'safely remove hardware' window though so I safely removed it - it took a little while but it worked.

Assuming it was working on Version 3 I then did the usb connect thing: Switched onto 'Hold' and held in the record button while I plugged in the usb cable.
It worked this time! 'My Computer' opened and showed it as a removable drive and it appeared in 'Samsung Media Studio'.
So I went to 'Device' menu in S.M.S. and to 'Format Device' - and formatted the drive. (I left the 'Volume Name' line as the string of odd symbols that came up, which I now regret).
After that i checked in 'My Computer' and all of the folders, including 'System' were there. I safely disconnected.

Then a funny thing - I thought I should copy in the firmware 2.07 files so tried to connect again with the Hold & Record technique - but after a few seconds the player lit up with the 'Hold' screen. I tried a couple more times - the same result. I then tried without Hold & Record and it seemed to work - showed up in all the right places including the 'safely remove hardware' as 'USB bulk storage device'. So I disconnected again.

Time to turn on properly - it started up all fine - menus all there, no 'no system' warning - looking good!
So I cheched the 'about' under 'system' menu and what the... it is working on version 2.07, even though I never put the files on the drive!
I guess that when I converted to 2.07 on old drive that must transfer data to flash memory on the motherboard(?)
So have now put a few tracks into 'Music' folder and rebuilt library - all working fine... so now must hand back to daughter ...

So it can be done ...
I paid a bit more than I needed to for the drive I think - bought that one because I thought it would be exactly like original; it wasn't but it doesn't seem to matter.
Those drives are sold for '3rd and 4th generation ipods' whatever they are. So mine was formatted for those, which is why, I think, that the player showed a Music folder before I Samsung-formatted it.
The latter operation put all the necessary folders on to the drive.

Now, is it possible to take apart and fix the old drive???

Hope this is of use!
all the best,
md

Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi all and especially "dartm":

Unfortunately the 20 GB Toshiba disk (from Ireland) I received today is not behaving the same way the 30 GB Toshiba disk (from Canada) did which worked right from the start.

This time, the YH-J70 gets stuck
- at the Data transferring screen, when connected to the PC
- at the blue System Loading screen, when just switched on.

So, what does this (from dartm's post) here mean and what is it good for?

"the usb connect thing: Switched onto 'Hold' and held in the record button while I plugged in the usb cable."

Will it help any "frozen" YH-J70?

For the time being I am charging the battery overnight. Although I believe the battery was full when I last used it (and returned the 30 GB HDD to Canada because of what I described above in an earlier reply).

Thanks for your help!

bwprius

Old 04-05-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Unable To Make Yh-j70 See New Hard Disk !!!

Quote:

Assuming it was working on Version 3 I then did the usb connect thing: Switched onto 'Hold' and held in the record button while I plugged in the usb cable.
It worked this time! 'My Computer' opened and showed it as a removable drive and it appeared in 'Samsung Media Studio'.
Hi,

I had hoped the above would work with my replacement hard disk but it does not seem to work.

I put it on Hold, I keep the Record button pushed and I plug in the USB cable. Although I get the blue System Loading screen and then the "Transferring Data (Do not Disconnect) screen, the PC does not recognize the player and it just stays like that. Nothing more happens.

Is there a way I can get the YH-J70 to recognize my new hard disk? It is a MK2006 GAL. Below it carries the Apple design mark.

bwprius

Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM

Hi bwprius, sorry it has been a while since I looked at the forum.
I don't have much to offer I'm afraid...

The "the usb connect thing" is the way to get players using firmware rev. 3.0 to connect as USB driver rather than the other strange protocol (MTP? something like that) that was the default.

When connecting with the hold switch on I found I had to keep the 'record' button held in for some time - first came on the "Transferring Data (Do not Disconnect)" screen, but I continued to hold and then the USB connect screen came on. I didn't let go of the button until this came on. By the way, I was plugging in with the player switched off - it comes on by itself soon after plugging in.

Do you know if the drive was formatted for ipods? I think mine was and that still worked to get me connected, then I could reformat with the Samsung Media Studio, but perhaps yours is not formatted at all? Perhaps you could ask your supplier. I am not sure what you could do if it is not formatted.

From what I have read the MK2006GAL should be fine - there is a phot of a dismantled YH-J70 on some other forum which shows that disc installed.

Are you using Windows XP by the way?

All is not brilliantly well with my daughter's now... she has loaded a pile of tracks onto it and now it doesn't always "build the library" all the way through - but hangs up partway then disconnects itself - sounds like what you were getting previously.
But she has put all the tracks into the music folder without subfolders, so I might get her to change that; I know there is a limit of 1000+ files for any one folder.
There are probably answers to this in those huge long threads but I haven't got the energy to go through them all again!

Sorry not much help, good luck!
md

Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Still not got to the happy or sad end of the story ....

Quote:
Hi bwprius, sorry it has been a while since I looked at the forum.
Hi dartm, no problem with the "delay". Do not feel obliged to answer and/or try to help.

Quote:
I don't have much to offer I'm afraid...

The "the usb connect thing" is the way to get players using firmware rev. 3.0 to connect as USB driver rather than the other strange protocol (MTP? something like that) that was the default.

When connecting with the hold switch on I found I had to keep the 'record' button held in for some time - first came on the "Transferring Data (Do not Disconnect)" screen, but I continued to hold and then the USB connect screen came on. I didn't let go of the button until this came on. By the way, I was plugging in with the player switched off - it comes on by itself soon after plugging in.
I have tried this (more or less, I believe). However, I might not have had the same perseverance than you and may not have pressed the Record button long enough.

Quote:
Do you know if the drive was formatted for ipods? I think mine was and that still worked to get me connected, then I could reformat with the Samsung Media Studio, but perhaps yours is not formatted at all? Perhaps you could ask your supplier. I am not sure what you could do if it is not formatted.
Well, it was announced as an ipod replacement but I have no information about its possible format. I have taken the drive to my neighbour's computer shop and have asked him to test/format the drive. I have not yet got it back.

Quote:
From what I have read the MK2006GAL should be fine - there is a phot of a dismantled YH-J70 on some other forum which shows that disc installed.
I believe the MK2006GAL should be fully compatible, at least, I remember having been told that the GAL letters were the most important compatibility criterium.

Quote:
Are you using Windows XP by the way?
Yes, Windows XP.

Quote:
All is not brilliantly well with my daughter's now... she has loaded a pile of tracks onto it and now it doesn't always "build the library" all the way through - but hangs up partway then disconnects itself - sounds like what you were getting previously.
But she has put all the tracks into the music folder without subfolders, so I might get her to change that; I know there is a limit of 1000+ files for any one folder.
There are probably answers to this in those huge long threads but I haven't got the energy to go through them all again!
What you describe appears to be exactly the same thing that happened with that 30 GB drive I bought and returned just because of this problem. I also had lots of folders but I don't believe I got beyond the file number limit. But I just did not want the player not to show artists, albums and tracks. But as you say, you need a lot of energy to read all those threads and then sit down and load files, unload them, format the player and so on.

(By the way, my daughter has a 2 GB iriver clix. I also had to ask for help when she started using it. Myself, I also have a Cowon D 2 which I fucked up last week and was able to reconfigure with the help of the corresponding forum.)

Quote:
Sorry not much help, good luck!
md
Don't worry. You did help with all your posts here on the thread. I believe I now have only two alternatives: or the new disc can be formatted and properly used or you will see my Samsung YH-J70 on e-bay soon, possibly with 2 broken hard discs.

bwprius

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Sorry I'm not helping a whole lot here but i just thought i would tell you that this drive definitely works as this is what mine came with when i bought it. And also when i had to format my YH-J70 one time i had to format it first through my computer by right clicking the device, then selecting format, then un-ticking "quick format" and then clicking start. Once that was done i had to then format it again through media studio. So if yours becomes recognized through my computer but not media studio, like mine was, try this process.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:41 AM

Thanks XJ3F3Y... that is definitely helpful...

BWP, I hope that when you get your drive back from your friend that your computer will recognise it.
I imagine that your friend is formatting it using Windows formatting? In that case the first stage of XJ's instructions are done and you should just need to do the Media Studio bit, but his whole process is worth remembering.

For what it's worth I read somewhere else that the GAL bit means that it is a single-platter drive, which means that it is thin enough to fit in the YH-J70 case.

Re rebuilding the library - I told my daughter to put her tracks on a bit at a time, rebuilding the library in between so that it wouldn't have to do it all at once. I think she started doing that and everything was fine, but I suspect she - or boyfriend - got impatient and dumped a whole lot on at once. I also suspect that some of them might be dodgy in ways I don't quite understand (something to do with permissions?).

I bought younger daughter a Sansa 8gb more recently - it is easier to use - you can just drag & drop files into it; the library is re-built automatically by the player & there is no hard drive to wear out. Less capacity of course, but you can add more with mini-sd cards, now available up to 8gb.

Anyway, thanks for your comments & good luck again! I will let you know if I sort out latest probs. - (but the player is otherwise working, she seems to be able to access all tracks).
md

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth I read somewhere else that the GAL bit means that it is a single-platter drive, which means that it is thin enough to fit in the YH-J70 case.
Yes, drives ending in GAL means that ther is one platter, means the drive is 5mm high instead of the height of 8mm if it were dual platter, these drives that in GAH. However this only applies to Toshiba drives, other companies have different codes. But seeing as how Toshiba is the only company that make the drives with pin connections you don't need to worry about that, just something useful should you need it with another device.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Unhappy Last try

Hi all,

here I am again. Just want to update on my current situation.

I am now at Attempt No. 3 with my YH-J70.

I returned two hard disks (one 30 GB and one 20 GB) because I had the above problems (lost "only" some euros).

I now have a factory brand new 30 GB Toshiba MK3006GAL.

I packed it with music (and more fils until no space was left) and "reconstruct library" with the Samsung Media Studio works fine now.

I also threw firmware 2.07 on it. And charged the battery overnight.

BUT: the YH-J70 gets stuck at the System Loading screen.

I will carefully read all the above posts from you folks and try to fix the problem over the weekend or later.

See whether I will be able to fix it once and for all times!!!

bwprius

Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM

Good luck. Hope it does get working for you.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Thumb Up The THIRD Toshiba MKxxxxGAL hard disk works !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwprius View Post
Hi all,

here I am again. Just want to update on my current situation.

I am now at Attempt No. 3 with my YH-J70.

I returned two hard disks (one 30 GB and one 20 GB) because I had the above problems (lost "only" some euros).

I now have a factory brand new 30 GB Toshiba MK3006GAL.

I packed it with music (and more fils until no space was left) and "reconstruct library" with the Samsung Media Studio works fine now.

I also threw firmware 2.07 on it. And charged the battery overnight.

BUT: the YH-J70 gets stuck at the System Loading screen.

I will carefully read all the above posts from you folks and try to fix the problem over the weekend or later.

See whether I will be able to fix it once and for all times!!!

bwprius
Finally, finally I have a working Samsung YH-J70 player again. And with 30 GB (actually about 27 GB) of hard disk space.

I formatted the player with Windows and with Samsung Media Studio (although I believe they use the same Windows utility), named the volume "YH-J70" and am now copying music on the disk. I do hope that like it did before it will store about 20 GB of music correctly and execute the Samsung "reconstruct library" function correctly.

It took me a lot of time, two hard disk returns (I can now say: Beware of anything that is not a new Toshiba MKxxxxGAL drive!).

The US dealer on e-bay where I bought the disk is one called DISI or sth like that. Here is the link to the shop (hope it works): http://search.ebay.es/_W0QQsassZdisi...e_drive_source

They are selling 30GB disks labeled MK3006GAL and also MK3008GAL. I guess there should be no difference and problems with the size and fitting in the YH-J70 as long as they have the GAL letters at the end.

bwprius

Last edited by bwprius; 05-29-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 AM
Samsung Moderator

Do you think a MK6028GAL 60gb or a MK8025GAL 80gb would fit?
I don't know if there is a capacity limitation.
60gb I'm sure, I know someone who put a 60gb HDD into the YH-J70 but I'm not sure the YH-J70 is able to recognize 80gb

And another problem is that the MK3006GAL is ATA-6 whereas the MK8025GAL is ATA-7...?!