android
Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Default Using the Clip in MSC mode

I just told you everything I know about MP3 players, syncing, etc. Well, that's an exaggeration, because I've been reading posts here.

My computers run XP with MP10, and I've just ordered my first MP3 player - the Clip 1GB. I doubt I will ever buy music from an online service, and I would rather not involve Microsoft in the management of my Clip more than I have to. And I don't want to upgrade to MP11.

1. So I think this means I should put the Clip into MSC mode, and leave it there. But will playlists work in MSC mode? If they do, what should I use to create them?

2. I have a number of MP3 files with no tag info. In MSC mode, will I be able to see those files by filename? If not, what's the solution to that?

3. I will be listening to some lengthy podcasts - up to two hours long. In MSC mode, will the Clip remember where I left off - not just which file, but exactly where in that file?

4. If I do end up getting some Audible books, would I have to transfer those over in MTP mode?

4. Will the Clip let me store non-audio files on it and use it like a dumb thumb drive?

5. Is there any major downside to using MSC?

Thanks for any suggestions or clarifications.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-05-2008, 02:26 PM

1.) M3U playlists work fine, use mp3tag to make them (it's a free utility and usage is covered here someplace)

2.) See #1

3 & 4 I defer to someone else who listens to these...

4(b) Yes you can. And you'll have the blingest thumb drive, ever. But it will resync the music database every time files are added/removed, regardless of what they are (any time ANY file attribute changes, it appears)

5.) Ask Bill Gates

Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only real downside to MSC mode is that it will not work with DRM'ed music. If that's not you, no issue.

And the Clip only uses ID3 info. right now--no filenames. (Although it would be great if this would change ....)

Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
1.) M3U playlists work fine, use mp3tag to make them (it's a free utility and usage is covered here someplace)
Reeeeally? I couldn't get the M3U playlists generated by MediaMonkey to work on my (girlfriend's) Clip, even with some manual tweaking of the files. They'd show up in the Clip's "Playlists" menu list, but then open to blank screen. I'll have to give MP3Tag a shot...

Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Listening to podcasts, the clip will remember where you left off, just as it does for music, but that place is lost once you select another song.

Audible books (Audible.com or .aa format) are very cool on the sansa, as the device has a chapter mode and variable playback speeds with these files. Audible books have a single bookmark; they will open where last listened regardless of what you do in terms of music listening. Loading the Audible files requires the Audible Manager or WiMP11 to transfer to the device; I believe this is solely via MTP mode-

Bob

Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice if these features worked with other audiobooks as well, in plain mp3 format ...