android
Old 02-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Samsung Moderator

Groover's method has never worked for anyone else that I'm aware. You need to start with either 1.11 or 1.15 to reliably get it to work. The config.dat trick is fixed with Blue Wave firmwares and will not work if you try to go from a 1.xx firmware to a 2.xx or 3.xx firmware with the config.dat file. It won't hurt it, it just won't take. Also, I've heard of people bricking their P2 by using the config file to downgrade, so I wouldn't recommend it. I would just stick with the guide as it's written because it's been proven to work 100% of the time. In fact, if you want lebellium, you could just link to my guide and save yourself the time of writing your own tutorial

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 AM

Got a new question for you. Does changing to KR mode disable me from being able to play subscription-based music? All of a sudden it won't let me put any subscription songs (I have Yahoo Music To Go) and it always did before. In addition, I can still sync to my Zen so it's not anything computer/yahoo based.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Groover's method has never worked for anyone else that I'm aware. You need to start with either 1.11 or 1.15 to reliably get it to work. The config.dat trick is fixed with Blue Wave firmwares and will not work if you try to go from a 1.xx firmware to a 2.xx or 3.xx firmware with the config.dat file. It won't hurt it, it just won't take. Also, I've heard of people bricking their P2 by using the config file to downgrade, so I wouldn't recommend it. I would just stick with the guide as it's written because it's been proven to work 100% of the time. In fact, if you want lebellium, you could just link to my guide and save yourself the time of writing your own tutorial
Yes I could link your guide which is perfect written but most of Frenchs don't understand well english So I will either translate your guide in french or make my own shorter version

Anyway I got a new strange feedback on generationmp3.com:
A guy who buyed a P2 with a 1.16 MTP EU firmware. Then he put the 2 files of the 3.07 EU firmware + the modified config.dat (EU EU UMS) into the P2. And it well upgrated

So, would the config.dat trick only be fixed on the first bluewave 2.08 and would work again in 3.07?!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM

i followed this guide. i tried KR/MTP and my P2 is now bricked.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM

bricked how? if it is on a non ending looping updating process, then try to follow this guide:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=26367

Then you can try to update again.

I wish you luck, laters.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM

yep, worked like a charm...the only reason why i even attempted to change the region again.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Samsung Moderator

Well, this is completely not helpful. If you have any more questions lebellium, ask me in PM. This thread has gotten seriously derailed.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:07 PM

ok i did your steps and it worked but i downloaded the dictionary to put it in and i unziped the folder and droped the 3 folders in and that didnt work so then i opened all the folders and droped that in but that didnt work eithier so i dont know wat to do now

Old 02-20-2008, 06:07 PM

^Create a folder named "dictionary" on your P2 (make sure it's spelled right!) then drop the folder that was extracted in the new folder..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 PM

ok thanks it works now
but know i need help with lyrics i added them to the song and put it onto my p2 but i clicked lyrics on and nothing happend

Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 PM

Noob question - how do you add the .rom and .rsc files in WMP? All I see is Artist, Album, Songs, etc. Where's the root folder, aka Internal Storage?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM

wait i added the lyrics in samsung media studio

Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post
Noob question - how do you add the .rom and .rsc files in WMP? All I see is Artist, Album, Songs, etc. Where's the root folder, aka Internal Storage?
I dont know but you can enter to "My PC" and search for Media Players, the p2 should be there, just double click and copy the files over the DATA folder

Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 PM

i already know how to get to the internal storage
there wasnt a "data" folder so i made one but i cant paste things into it

Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM

Just finished the switch to UMS. Awesome guide!

One thing I'd add to the sticky is that you may need to go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and change the drive letter.

I thought I bricked my p2 until I realized this. Changed the drive letter from M to Y and all is well.

Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfoot10 View Post
i already know how to get to the internal storage
there wasnt a "data" folder so i made one but i cant paste things into it
if you have vista then you have to paste them in the "internal storage" folder

or do like me the first time, paste them all over the folders :P until it lets you do that

good luck

Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Samsung Moderator

Not to be condescending, but the guide specifically states this already:
Quote:
To Downgrade:
  1. Make sure you have at least 50 MB of space on the player, that you've backed up your files and that the battery is charged.
  2. Download the file listed above as Version 1.15.
  3. Unzip the file pack and place the .rom and .rsc files into the root of your P2 (This will either be inside of "Internal Storage" or "Data" depending on your version of WMP)

Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Unhappy This method only works if...

... if you're not already running the P2 in MTP mode (like it does by default when upgrading to 3.15), while using XP 64, OSX or Linux. For those people who don't have access to Windows 32bit, copying ANY file directly to the P2 error's with "unable to connect to remote drive blah...", which is a largely documented but undiagnosed problem on these forums.

For those people, drag and drop does not work for any folder on the P2, as well the SMS does not support copying the upgrade files to the P2. So the downgrade path is not available, the only solution is to perform your steps on a friend's/co-worker's Win32 OS.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Samsung Moderator

Don't blame your P2, it's your crappy 64 bit vista. Just do it on a free public machine (think coffee shop or library) or a friends machine once, and change it to UMS and never have to deal with it again. That's why MTP is worthless.

For the record, all versions of MTP 3.xx or 2.xx will act the same on your computer. If you think that upgrading caused the problem, then you're mistaken or you're doing something wrong. I had an MTP player (as did the majority of the users on this forum) and we upgraded without issue.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM

I didn't blame my awesome new P2 in the above post; I simply said that your instructions don't work for what is probably a small percentage of desktop users. I also didn't blame the upgrade for the crappy MTP preset, but you'd think if they offered the UMS 3.15 firmware instead of pushing an MTS-only one for EN customer's, well I wouldn't have had this problem to begin with, would I?