android
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Assigning functions to individual buttons

Hey, after using the D2 for awhile, I realized that it would be much easier to use if the + button was pause/play, the - button was next track, and the menu button was last track. Since the buttons are relatively seamless, its difficult to tell where each one is when you are feeling the D2 through your pocket.

Might have to wait for Rockbox, it doesn't look like this is possible, but this has become a huge personal gripe for me.

Thanks in advance for replies

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Hey, after using the D2 for awhile, I realized that it would be much easier to use if the + button was pause/play, the - button was next track, and the menu button was last track. Since the buttons are relatively seamless, its difficult to tell where each one is when you are feeling the D2 through your pocket.
Do you mean that the configuration of the upper buttons that the D2 gives you (at least my FW 2.50 does it) is not the one your looking for?

Or would this fit your needs (you need to perform all three steps)?

1. Menu > Settings > General > User defined button > MENU Button Long > Play/Pause

2. Menu > Settings > General > User defined button > Set Hold State > Use upper buttons (FF/REW)

3. Menu > Settings > General > Skip length > Track

This gives you:

the M button is pause/play, the + button is next track, and the - button is last track

I believe that the M button always performs play/pause. Although you do not choose the option Menu button "long" to be play/pause.

bwprius

Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Pretty much.

No, that is how it is set up at the moment. The problem it is nigh-impossible to feel exactly where the Menu button is while in my pocket, so I have to guess at the position of the pause button which I use very very frequently. I get it right perhaps 2/3 of the time. Ideally, I would have '+' as pause/play, '-' as next track/ff, and 'Menu' as last track/rw, since I very rarely go to the last track.

Thanks for the reply.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM

You'll get used to it in no time. Hitting the middle of that thing every time took me maybe a week of use...

Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 PM

I'll take your word for it-- I have only used two bars of the battery. I didn't use it while my x3i's were in the shop, so that's all in the last... 24 hours, on the nose! Thats a helluva lot of audio! I am have a feeling I am going to hit 200 hours on my x3i's really fast.

It may not be as usable as sansa, (yet, perhaps) but holy! I am getting attached to this thing very quickly, its very slick, fast, multifunctional, and has killer SQ. I cant wait to get an resistor hookup!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It would be nice if the menu button can be programmed so that one press pauses or restarts the player, while two presses in a row or holding it down for a few seconds brings up the menu. When listening to lectures or podcasts on a portable player, it is important to have a quick way to pause or restart playing without having to remove the player from a pocket. Ideally the best thing would be to have a dedicated pause/restart button on the same side of the player as the the headphone jack, but not too close to it so that a right angle headphone plug would block it.