android
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Bluetooth Stereo Headphones

Okay...I'm buying into the fact that I can answer phone calls etc with my P2.
But I'm starting to dig listening with Bluetooth Headphones as well.
If you've got it, use it. Firmware problems be damned!

My choices are down to: (In order of preference)
1. Plantronics 855
2. Motorola S9 - I might be getting a moto phone soon so....
3. Lubix NC-1

I do have Shure E4c's for regular listening so I'm not expecting awesome SQ from these, but being able to have the P2 in my pocket would be nice.

I've read that the Moto's are getting good feedback here.
Anybody care to recommend/advise further?
Thanks much.

Last edited by D-jump; 01-28-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: wrong Plantronics model!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 PM

Keep in mind that when using BT headphone, you cannot use the EQ.

Also, you cannot answer or make call with your phone through the P2, because you can only connect to one device at a time.

A bummer, I know. When I first bought the P2 I was hoping to do the same thing you were. Hopefully this will change with a future FW update.

Cheers

Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM

How about the plantronics 590E, $10 cheaper than the plantronics you listed and are actual headphones, not ear buds. They sound great with the P2 , I've got some myself.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Bluetooth and P2

I have been watching your comments for sometime, but noticed you guys are extremely on top of things, so I haven't said much. BUT, In response to D-jump, you can answer and make calls using your P2. I purchase a Voyager 855 from Best Buy (to test) and connected via bluetooth to both and viola, it worked. I returned the headset to purchase it cheaper (about 72.00 on Amazon, terrible of me i know).

Now I did buy the Jabra BT8010 and while it does work with both, it will not allow you to make calls from the P2 but the phone overrides the P2 and will allow a call in, but you have to pause you P2.

That being said, the Plantronics Voyager 855 is the way to go.

Also, I have the worst phone in the world, a Nextel Motorola i880.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Samsung Moderator

Welcome to the forums Ryan!

The P2 should support multiple pairing in the sense that you should be able to use wireless headphones and pair at the same time with your phone. Some people have noticed this does not work, and it's likely a bug in the firmware rather than a lack of support. You cannot, however, use a wireless headset to talk through the P2 to the phone call. That's just silly anyway.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM

Maybe I was only recieving the calls on the wireless headset. It's hard to test by yourself. But, I do know for a fact that a wired stereo headset with mic (straight from a new Blackberry Curve) will work from a P2 and phone. I'll have to test out the wireless headset again with the P2 and phone.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM

@Ryan,

thanks for clearing that up about answering phone calls.

How is the SQ on the Plantronics?
My only reservation about those is that it looks kind of goofy with the boom on one side.
I don't mind the in-ear type as I have Shure's.

I'm mixed about the motorola S9's. They look pretty cool but are getting mixed reviews. On newegg, people seem to think the SQ is pretty good. Quality is a mixed bag, but then I don't plan on working out with them. Just around the house and office.

Maybe I'll wait for the 2nd gen headphones.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Welcome to the forums Ryan!

The P2 should support multiple pairing in the sense that you should be able to use wireless headphones and pair at the same time with your phone. Some people have noticed this does not work, and it's likely a bug in the firmware rather than a lack of support. You cannot, however, use a wireless headset to talk through the P2 to the phone call. That's just silly anyway.

You are actually quite incorrect on this one. The P2 does not support being paired up with a phone and BT headphones at the same time. Hopefully this will be changed in a future update, as it is supposed to support multiple bluetooth.
I have tried but it has to disconnect from one to connect to the other. Dissapointing

Old 01-29-2008, 03:21 PM

I have found a way around this problem though. I have a pair of Jabra BT620's that are able to connect to two different devices, so I can connect to both my BT phone and my P2.

The only problem is that it is not very seamless in the transition between player and phone and requires a few button presses to enable it.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 PM

The sound quality on the Plantronics 590E which I have is really good, I've never gotten any of the fuzzy background noise that some people here complain about with certain headphones. Another nice thing about them over the in ear is the mic is built in and retractable, so the talking capability doesn't impair the comfort of them. I've worn them for hours and never had sore ears .

Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM

You are actually VERY WRONG, stevieboy7. I don't post because there is always someone who THINKS they know more, whether it be a junior or a moderator or admin. For the sake of an argument, try it with the equipment I have. As long as you have a 2.0 a2dp Stereo Bluetooth Headset, it will and DOES work. Call the manufacturer. I have done it and I am currently on a Jabra BT8010 with my nextel i880 and P2. The P2 disconnects once a call is received (doesn't pause, which is why I am going back to the 855), once the call is ended you press a button on the 8010 and back to music. No re-pairing or re-connecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy7 View Post
You are actually quite incorrect on this one. The P2 does not support being paired up with a phone and BT headphones at the same time. Hopefully this will be changed in a future update, as it is supposed to support multiple bluetooth.
I have tried but it has to disconnect from one to connect to the other. Dissapointing

Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
You are actually VERY WRONG, stevieboy7. I don't post because there is always someone who THINKS they know more, whether it be a junior or a moderator or admin. For the sake of an argument, try it with the equipment I have. As long as you have a 2.0 a2dp Stereo Bluetooth Headset, it will and DOES work. Call the manufacturer. I have done it and I am currently on a Jabra BT8010 with my nextel i880 and P2. The P2 disconnects once a call is received (doesn't pause, which is why I am going back to the 855), once the call is ended you press a button on the 8010 and back to music. No re-pairing or re-connecting.

I have the Motorola S9's and LOVE THEM, it can pair with BOTH phone and p2 at the same time, it wil pause when you get an call and unpause then you hang up, it also has AVRCP (Audio VIdeo Remote control Profile) so that you can change tracks and pause, also you can control the VOlumn, but it is only independent to the headphones not the player. I.E you can have an friend with BT headphones using the p2 at one Volumn adn you can have you headphones pluged in and both have different vol settings.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM

You go P2 man. Thanks for backing me up. Point is, there are so many configurations and bluetooth headsets and phones, that you have to get the right match. I'm not saying that there is only one, but with the newer technology, you probably won't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 Man View Post
I have the Motorola S9's and LOVE THEM, it can pair with BOTH phone and p2 at the same time, it wil pause when you get an call and unpause then you hang up, it also has AVRCP (Audio VIdeo Remote control Profile) so that you can change tracks and pause, also you can control the VOlumn, but it is only independent to the headphones not the player. I.E you can have an friend with BT headphones using the p2 at one Volumn adn you can have you headphones pluged in and both have different vol settings.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM

That's the first I've heard of success with the Moto S9 (which I have) and paring with a mobile phone at the same time.. good news for those that get the right combination of headset and phone..

Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utew View Post
That's the first I've heard of success with the Moto S9 (which I have) and paring with a mobile phone at the same time.. good news for those that get the right combination of headset and phone..
i have done it with many phones. just follow the DIRECTIONS (i dont like then either) but it is easy to do

Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM

I'd love to, however I don't have a Bluetooth equipped phone.. though many others have had little success.. glad yours is working fine..

"DIRECTIONS"? I'd have never thought of that....

Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 AM

I hardly ever did read directions, but i decided to suck it up and take advantage of my new EXPENSIVE toy. LOI

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Here are my primary concerns and pro/cons with the two headsets.

@Ryan - How long have you had these? I'm not sure about the wire pieces and having to insert the stereo piece into the boom portion.

@Utem - How long have you had the S9's? I'm concerned about their durability. A lot of people have complained about it failing after a few months.
And how is the SQ for you?

I do like however that the S9 is a single piece. I wear glasses so they may not be as comfortable, but I'll probably only be wearing them a couple of hours a day.

Maybe I'll just wait for the S9 HD that are coming out.

Decisions, Decisions!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 AM

I've had my S9's since the first week in December (07).. use them almost everyday.. have had no problems with build quality. My head is medium-sized, I guess and I wear glasses also.. but they fit me fine.. though I'd suggest trying them on first to see if you're happy with the fit.

As has been mentioned numerous times... ad nauseum, they are not *audiophile* quality.. but then.. neither is lossy, compressed music (ie mp3 etc).. but I think they have a rather nicely balanced sound minus bass response.. mid-bass is not bad.. but very low sounds are lost. As long as you are aware that they can't possibly compete with a good set of wired earphones/headphones you'll be happy.

I bought them for portability (sans wires).. and I am pretty fond of them overall...no buyers remorse at all. I too am looking forward to the new S9 HD too and the improvements Moto has specified. HTH

Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM

D-jump, Like i was saying earlier, I bought the pair to test out from best buy for $140, knowing I could get them through Amazon for $75. I paired them tested out the music and the calling feature, but never spoke to anyone. So, them seemed to be comfortable. I think you'll have to bend the ear piece to get a proper fit. It was lightweight. I also mentioned that I purchased the Jabra BT8010. Doesn't seem to work EXACTLY the way the Voyager 855, but I think it is more stable on the ear, more comfortable and the volume is excellent. My 855 should be in the mail when I get home today. I will mess with them and give you more feedback.