android
Old 01-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Talking $25 Thrift Store Speakers

I was at Goodwill the other day looking for props for my brother's school play. Now there are some things I like to look for at thrift stores like big ugly ties, CD's, and speakers. I found a pair of Pioneer Speakers for $25 bucks. They have minor scratches on the outside, but underneath the grill, they look flawless. Pics and Questions below:

So I have some questions:

1. As you can see one of the clips is broken, I found this after I bought it is it fixable?

2. It says the impedence is 6.3 ohms. What does this mean? I have a cheapo amp that I bought that says only use 8 or 16 ohms but it seems to work with the speakers. Will I ruin my speakers/amp?

3. Power= 40W, Max Music Power = 120W. What is the difference? If I buy an amp with 75 Watts per channel will these speakers work/Not get ruined?

4. What do ya think about the speakers? I have 9 days to return.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2008, 12:27 PM

1. That can get fixed. You will probably need to get the speaker box open
2. It is a measurement of resistance. They should work with your amp just fine. Just be careful with the volume, I need specs to tell you how much you can output to it.
3. I recommend to always look at the "rated power" or RMS. This is the real continuous wattage the speaker can handle. "max music power" means peak wattage ( not continuous) this rating is for very short periods of time, for eg 0.5 sec.
4. They look nice considering what you had to pay for them. What is the size of the main speaker cone? is it 6.5" ?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 PM

should the cone be measured from the diameter or radius?

I can't seem to find the RMS rating on the speaker or on the net.

Also, 6.3 ohms seems like an odd impedance. can't find many speakers with this impedance

Old 01-27-2008, 03:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Speaker drivers are measured by diameter. The RMS for the speaker, according to that label, is 40W (120W max). 6.3-ohm should not harm your amplifier, but it will cause it to run a bit hotter, so keep an eye on that. The odd impedance suggests that these speakers were once part of a set coupled with an "all-in-one" stereo rack.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:18 PM

those speakers are Perfect for Dj's....

Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 PM

What I hope is to make the po' man's 5.1/7.1 surround sound system using mostly goodwill speakers.

maybe a new amp and sub (pretty rare at GW but I have seen good ones)

Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM

So my amp runs warm, but it has a fuse on the back. If the speakers turn out to be too much to handle, will it pop, or just destroy the amp?

oh, and by the way diameter measurement of the largest cone (woofer?) is about 10 inches

Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 PM

The fuse is most likely for mains power protection, not for protecting the amp from speakers with mismatched impedance.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM

As I understand, if I were to get an amplifier that supports 4 ohm speakers, that should cover me regardless of impedance, 4 6.3 8 16 right?
what are some reasonably priced amps for this price ~300

Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 PM

NAD, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Creek, ... those make good amps for a reasonable price.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:25 AM

wow thats actaully a steal for what you paid.

the round cable hookup box can be purcahsed from electronic stores for about $2-$5
you should be able to find one that is the same size, they are usually glued in so you have to smash it out. if you cant find one thats the same size, just get a square one and dremel the wood out, make sure you glue it good so its air tight.

your 6.3ohm impedance is fine if you run it on an amp thats 6-16 ohms, 8-16 ohm amps should handle it ok if you get a good quality one. i run my marantz amp rated for 6-16 ohms at 4ohms and it doesnt even get hot, just BARELY warm

Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM

Do they always sell speakers like this at thrift stores?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkshot View Post
So my amp runs warm, but it has a fuse on the back. If the speakers turn out to be too much to handle, will it pop, or just destroy the amp?

oh, and by the way diameter measurement of the largest cone (woofer?) is about 10 inches

no its not... generally 12"

Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 PM

@ beteks
You can find em if you look. A lot of times the cones are busted, so I only buy the speakers if I can take off the grille to see the condition of the cones. I also only buy from thrift stores that allow me to return them for a refund.

BTW, I recently bought a pair of Jensen tower speakers for about $35 from an ARC thrift store. I'll post pics soon.