android
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Amplifier for Grado SR60

Hello,

I've completed the huge job of ripping all my CD's to FLAC lossless (which can be played by the rockbox on my sansa e250). I bought a pair of grado SR60's and the next logical step seems to be a headphone amp. There's a shop nearby that sells a lot of audio equipment, and it has these an amplifier in stock for a price I can pay (I don't want meier for 200 euros (more than I payed for grado+memcard+sansa.)) this is the amp.

Tbh, I have no idea if this thing runs off batteries or takes ac/dc from wall. However it's 12 volts so adding a battery should be easy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM

This is a low end professional headphone amp. I don't know how it sounds though. It works with a 12V power supply (probably the wall wart type). If you can get 12V with a battery, it should work. I never shopped for a portable headphone amp, but I saw this one at a decent price, I don't know if it's worth it: http://www.headphone.com/products/he...e-mobile-line/

Behringer has lots of inexpensive (and interesting) pro audio stuff, but I don't know anything about their quality or how they sound.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 PM

Hi, this is not a hifi amp.

Behringer make studio gear like mixers and stuff. My son has a mixing desk made by them and it is well made gear.

This looks like a line monitor for use in a studio set up. It should be well made and able to handle cans with a big 300 ohm resistance. It seems to have a gain compensation for the mic line thro and a volume for the headphone out.

How good it is as a hifi stereo amp is anyones guess. See if they will let you demo in store before you part with hard earned. Any decent B&M store should extend you this courtesy.

The Meier Corda Headsix does work very well indeed with Grado SR60s and adds extra everything. So if you ever feel flushed, this would be a good move.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, my Move works wonders with my Alessandro MS-1's. Since the HeadSix share the same amp of the Move, it should work great with Grados or Alessandros.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Behringer is the best known lowest-budget manufacturer for semi-professional audio gear. They usually rip off better brands (Line 6, Mackie, etc) and make some cheaper versions in China.

I've heard another version of that Behringer phone amp (the one with 4 independent phone outputs) - and the only thing it does is make the sound louder.

You're probably better off getting a CMOY, a PA2V2, or a Go-Vibe... even if those also don't come close to a proper amp like the Corda, they're most likely better (and cheaper) than the Behringer... and they work with batteries by design, no workarounds/mods needed.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Samsung Moderator

Adding to dfkt's post, I would recommend you search on ebay for Chu Moy or CMoy (same thing) and see if you like those prices. These are generally decent, inexpensive amps that will add to your music and won't break the bank.

Why do you NEED an amp? The SR60's are really easy to drive and actually sound pretty good unamped. I've got a set and I've listened to them amped and unamped and the only difference is a slightly heavier bass presence.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 PM

yeah, you don't really need an amp for SR60. If you are looking for an cMoy on eBay, I will suggest one with an opa2227 (instead of the more common opa2134). If you want something different from the above two, you should do a search on the opamp's SQ first. Different opamp sounds very different from each other.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:50 AM

Thank you for the helpful replies. The PA2V2 seems nice and so does the headroom. I want the amp because I have other headphones too that isolate sound quite good don't deliver a quality sound like the grado does. (sennheiser HD202 and philips SHP805). I'm using these two in the traffic as I don't want to kill my easr with the grado that lets pass all sound. The main problem is that Belgium is utterly undevelopped on the domain of stuff like that, I'm quite sure I won't ever find a decent portable headphone amp in a store around here and since I don't have visa/paypal/whatever, a bit of a bummer . Oh well, seems like I'll do some design work and if I find enough clients go for the meier and if not for the PA2V2 or headroom.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just a little addendum - here's a nice fansite for CMOY amps: http://tinamps.com/ ... the "Biosciencegeek" CMOYs seem to be well respected.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, the M&M CMOY is very funny looking.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Purchased a CMOY amp that was made by some guy in Latvia. He does a good job with his amps. Except that he doesn't use the opa2227 for them.

He sells them here on ebay if anyones intrested: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=016

Good enough for me, and personaly like the plastic housing over the kind put into tins... Have been thinking of getting the headsix for some time, but I'll just stick with the CMOY untill it breaks. Or untill someone that has one shows how mind blowingly awesome it is on my headphones in person

Although I do like how biosciencegeek offers so much customization on his tin amps.