android
Old 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Conversions in Linux

For all those of us who use Linux there are a lot of command-line options to transcode videos, but not many GUIs.

I suggest you install MediaCoder, which works pretty well under Linux (using Wine, of course).

However, it seems that Mediacoder running under Wine won't be able to create MP4 containers (at least I can't), but a workaround I could find is to transcode to H.264 inside an AVI container.

I can't try the result, because I don't have the View yet, so if anyone out there wants to try and post their results...

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Ok, I've just tried my own suggestion above, and... scratch that!
Unfortunately the View won't consider H264 files in an AVI container as a valid format, and will refuse to play them.

If you use KDE, I've found this program, which basically is some kind of GUI for FFmpeg that also integrates in Konqueror Menu (servicemenu) for one-click conversions:

Avi 2 iPod / PSP

Required dependencies are:
kommander
ffmpeg

mplayer <- Optional

It's very easy to use:

1) go to the 'iPod' tab
2) choose the input file
3) choose output directory
4) choose bitrate for video and audio
5) select aspect ratio of the original file (4:3, 16:9 or 2,35:1)
6) in the 'Resolution' field
- select 'iPod' to encode files optimized for being viewed directly on the View (output file will be 320x???)
- select 'TV' to encode files optimized for being viewed using the TV-Out function of the View (output file will be 640x???)
7) DO NOT check the "Use H264 instead of XviD", otherwise the encoded file won't be recognized by the View
8) click on the iPod picture and let the program do its magic

That's it! (and this works...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avi3ipod.jpg (75.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Sciamano; 02-05-2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: added info for TV-Out encoding

Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Help Anyone using ffmpeg (Linux, command line) to convert various videos to Sansa View?

Is anyone out there converting videos using ffmpeg on the command line? I'm trying to sort out the correct options to use to perform a simple conversion of Sony-generated .mpg files to Sansa View-correct video format. Can anyone provide working command line examples of an ffmpeg call? I'll post what I find.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Try this:

ffmpeg -y -i "inputfile" -r 29.97 -vcodec xvid -b "bitrate"k -acodec aac -ab "audiobitrate"k -bufsize 4M -qmax 51 -mbd 2 -flags +4mv+trell -aic 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -ar 48000 -g 300 -s "targetresolution" -aspect "aspect" -ac 2 -f mp4 "destinationfile"

Change the words between quotes to the desired value (for example, substitute "aspect" with "16:9", "targetresolution" with "640:352" and so on).

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM

Hi all,

I just got mvPod (http://mvpod.sourceforge.net/) and converted a 20 min clip. Seems to work fine for me, and it's easy because it has a gui.

Only thing I'm not that happy with is a small audio delay. But I saw this with videos vonderted with the Windows Sandisk software, too. It might be a problem of the source, being a DivX with VBR audio...

Have fun!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 AM

I tried the latest mvPod build, and my View reacts with an "Unsupported Video Format" error.

Last edited by Sciamano; 03-17-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 AM

I've found out that converting with ffmpeg via command line is not that hard.
First of all you have to compile ffmpeg in order to enable most of the restricted formats. Chance are that the version of ffmpeg that can be easily downloaded and installed via the different distros repositories won't work, because it has been compiled not to include such formats.
You should easily find info on how to compile ffmpeg on your distro, by googling.

That said, be sure to install (and enable ffmpeg to use them) the following libraries:
libxvid
libfaac
libfaad
libx264

(sometimes you can find them with different names, such as without the "lib" prefix. Remember the name these libraries have on your distro, because it's going to be useful in the next step).

Once ffmpeg is correctly compiled and installed, with all the necessary libraries, here is the command you should give to convert files for the Sansa View:

ffmpeg -i <inputfile> -r <framerate> -vcodec <videocodec> -b <videobitrate>k -acodec <audiocodec> -ab <audiobitrate>k -bufsize 4M -qmax 51 -mbd 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -ar 44100 -g 300 -s <videoresolution> -aspect <aspectratio> -ac 2 -f mp4 -y <outputfile>

All the parameters in italic need to be changed to what you desire. A quick explanation:

<inputfile> is the file you need to convert, for example /home/user/videos/video.avi
<framerate> is the desired framerate for the video, expressed in fps, for example 25, 30 or 29.97
<videocodec> is the video codec you want to convert the video into, for example libxvid or libx264 (I had no luck with x264 though) (use the name of your distro's library!, see above)
<videobitrate> is the desired bitrate for the video, for example 700
<audiocodec> is the audio codec you want to convert the audio into, for example libfaac (use the name of your distro's library!, see above)
<audiobitrate> is the desired audio bitrate, for example 128
<videoresolution> is the resolution you want the file to be converted into, for example 320x240
<aspectratio> is the aspect ratio of the input file, for example 4:3 or 16:9 (this must be coherent with the chosen <videoresolution>)
<outputfile> is the path (optional) and name of the file after the conversion, for example /home/user/videos/convertedvideo.mp4

Therefore, if you wanted to convert video.avi to a convertedvideo.mp4 using a framerate of 30fps, xvid as video codec, with a video bitrate of 700k, a resolution of 320x240 (and therefore an aspect ratio of 4:3), aac as audio codec with an audio bitrate of 96k the command should be:

ffmpeg -i video.avi -r 30 -vcodec libxvid -b 700k -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -bufsize 4M -qmax 51 -mbd 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -ar 44100 -g 300 -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 -ac 2 -f mp4 -y convertedvideo.mp4

Hope this helps!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamano View Post
For all those of us who use Linux there are a lot of command-line options to transcode videos, but not many GUIs.
I use handbrake in linux with a gui. FFMpeg was just too much work. See my thread on transcoding with handbrake:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=37070

Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 AM

If you use Gnome you can create scripts to call with your mouse within Nautilus (the file browser).
So you have both the power of your own dedicated script and the so-called ease of the mouse. See the G-scripts Gnome site.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 PM

Ok! Just confirmed that Handbrake works great to convert video to the View. Just use MP4 output, select the Ipod Legacy Preset, and click on "Picture Settings". Then unclick the "Keep Aspect" checkbox and adjust the Storage width to 320 x 240

Hit start and you should be good to go.