android
Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Default Insignia Sport Freezeup?

Hey all,

I just got a sport NS 4V17 for Christmas. It was working quite fine until today. I was listening to a song and it suddenly cut out and started fizzling in the head phones. I looked at the screen and it had a message displayed stating "Rebuilding the library, please wait..." and it's been that way for going on 5 hours now. I can't turn it off at all. Any ideas all?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This will take patients, try waiting until the battery goes dead completely, and then charging it again. If that doesn't work I will wait until someone else answers because I don't know much about the insignia players
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 PM

Ok. I was planning on trying that, but I didn't know if this was a common problem or not. Thanks for the advice. It really seems like something that must have happened before though, so we'll see if someone else has some familiarity with this issue.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you try holding down the power button for ~30 seconds? I believe that produces a hard reset on the latest line of Insignia players.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:12 AM

Default Insignia Sport Freeze up solution

epithetless is right. I have an insignia sport Mp3 player 4 GB and my mp3 player freezes up as well. I would always wait till the battery died or unplug the battery(which i dont recommend can damage your mp3 player if you mess it up). But if you hold the power button for at least 30 seconds it will turn itself off. Thanx epithetless

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Unhappy Fatal error

I got the same problem but I can't get the player to work even if I reset it. Every time I turn it on it starts building library and counts up to 414, when it freezes. I also can't browse its files, once it don't finish starting.
Can anybody help?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM

I couldn't believe how hard it was to find any information on just resetting the player if it was freezing.

I was modifying the Media Library manually and noticed that folder names had no spaces. I accidentally included a folder or two with spaces. However, I may have copied over a corrupted file too. So when I disconnected it from my PC, I experienced exactly what you good folks described here in this thread. The thing would freeze at Building the Library. I almost took this thing apart trying to figure a way to fix it.

However, I did finally figure it out today and I thought I should post my findings.

Quote:
1) Hold the power button (slider) in the on position for about 15-20 seconds to force the player to turn off.

2) Hold the menu button down and simultaneously hold the power button (slider) to the on position.

3) Do not let go when the device turns on. You will then get a screen message in black and white that reads (with a typo):

WARRING !!!

NAND FLASH MEMORY INITIALIZE......

"WARRING !!!" will appear in red (and probably should read "WARNING". You will have the options of "No" and "Yes".

4) Choose "Yes" to re-format your device.
Yes, you will lose all your music until you synch up again, but atleast the device is now working as if it was first taken out of the box.

I hope this helps!!!

I can't believe I couldn't find this documented anywhere... or maybe I didn't look hard enough. But I'm glad I stumbled across it and can share it now.

Enjoy! Your device is now un-bricked!!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 AM

Oh my god, thank you very much for the help. My player also freeze and I used to disassemble it and shor circuit the internal flash memory (very riscky). But I still can't figure out why that problem happens.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 PM

You're welcome! My best guess as to why it happens is that the player may not like unusual bitrates for mp3 files. Like 128 is fine, but maybe 112 (or something really unusual) give it indigestion?

I went back and made sure all of the mp3 files were at least 128 or 320 bit rate. The library build found all 114 songs with no problem.

I also setup synchronization with Windows Media Player as a back-up. Just in case I have to reset the Insignia Sport player again.

I'm glad I was able to help. I felt your pain!!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 PM

I had same problem with sansa e250r. It would freeze up when updating files and never would unfreeze. I tried all the resetting tricks and updates. I was going to let the battery run out, but if I leave it on it turns off automatically and it seems that the residual charge lasts forever (I haven't put it on charge for about 3 months). I keep checking and it continues that same way. Anybody have a suggestion? I went and bought a sport to have something listen to in the meantime. And now I love the sport's blue tooth feature! But, I would still like to get the sansa working. Thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfs7270 View Post
I had same problem with sansa e250r... I was going to let the battery run out, but if I leave it on it turns off automatically...
Ok..ot and this post has been around for a bit...I know...I know...but....

All you have to do is take the battery out.It's quite simple Just take the four screws out of the back and it's right there..no wires, no problem at all. It's built to pop right out just like most cell phone batteries.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 AM

well coffee-turtle nice idea(I found it quite promising) however mine seems to have problems going through with that, I(occasionally) get to the screen after holding the menu button and power slider in conjunction and even sometimes(if it doesnt freeze in the process of getting to that screen) select yes to format the memory but it still manages to freeze in the process of doing so, and it can't be just taking a long time because I had about 5 songs on it and it's taken the past half hour and still stays on that screen of FORMATTING... ALL CONTENTS IS DELETING... with the WARRING!!! at the top of it...hope you have another solution it's my favorite mp3 player.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM

apologies if I sounded spiteful on that last post, I was outraged by my mp3 player becoming a useless slab of plastic.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 PM

Thanks so much. My player bricked also and wmp would not recognize it. When I tried your method, everything worked fine again. I just had to reload my library.

Thanks again, drewfs7270

Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 AM

Whoo! Unbricked mine, as well!

I so should have checked this place before I bought my replacement a few weeks ago. This thread had previously told me what to do for the light freezes x_x

I got the exact same one as a replacement, too, off ebay. This "new" one seems to have worse range, for some reason.

Glad I have the old one back. I now basically have double the battery life, (5 hours/ player vs 9 hours for headphones)

Old 12-02-2008, 02:00 PM

I am glad it worked for you guys!! That's great news! I was so frustrated when this happen to my insignia sport because I bought it as a gift for my wife. Then it was more frustrating not being able to find a fix after hours of searching on the internet and even insignia's site. (Is this some well guarded secret to force you to buy a new device?) So when I stumbled across this back-door, I felt I had to share with the community!

Enjoy!

sham9, I am sorry it didn't work for you. I guess by now you already replaced the device and I don't have any more ideas. There was a previous post about someone taking the player apart and removing the battery?

Again, enjoy everyone!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 PM

creating folder names with spaces or odd characters may also cause the problem.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:30 AM

now I can't even get it to turn on, and it refuses to recharge, any ideas? tried removing and putting back the battery but no such luck.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 PM

May we all have a moment of silence for the passing of sham9's sport.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 PM

I'm still fumbling about with it, thought about calling customer support but afraid of them being useless as their website.