android
Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM

ill be COMPLETELY HONEST with you.

the zune is a great device, and its perfect in what it does.

if you are lookin for something that has a gripload of features and apps, you are lookin in the wrong place.
get an iphone or ipod touch.

but if you are lookin for a simple player, that does what it said it will do well, then dont worry, get a zune.

i got zune 4gb a couple weeks ago, and let me tell you i really like it.

1- first of all the zune device interface, is absolutely beautiful.
SIMPLE, but elegant.

2- the software, was EASY to set up. Not only that, i had absolutely no problems setting it up.
Just read the instruction manual, which is only a measly 4 pages long, and you should have no problems.
The software is download only, but you just follow the directions, and you should have no problem whatsoever.

3- once you get the software up and running, the first thing you will notice is, DAMN that looks NICE! the software looks very nice, everything is well organized, and its very eye pleasing.
Also it has this cool feature, where it takes ALL your album art and makes it into a giant wallpaper thing that fills up your whole screen. Pretty nifty!

4- Going back to the device, the sound quality is clear, the volume is loud, i usually keep it at 8-10 out of 20.

5- Features, my favorite feature is the Radio. i love radio, and having it builtin to the device makes me happy LOL. its also got podcast support, pictures, and video (wmv, mpeg4)

i hear alot of people complain bout the software or the zune in general. but i dont see the problem at all.
its easy to use, well made, and very eye-pleasing.

**as for the software, i think it looks better and is easier to use than itunes!
(i used itunes for a whole year, was an ipodtouch owner previously)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Lightbulb Sony beats both zune and ipod

I am tired of this zune versus Ipod crap.
(1)Both are locked into proprietary software.
(2)both have average battery life(sony nwz or d2 i hear anyone say??)
(3)Both don have best SQ(zune is better than ipod but only by a small margin)
(4)Equalizer is a crap in both(purists can go hang urself. All of us dont own a 500$ cans or IEMs and eq goes a great way in solving the problems.)
(5)don bash ipod just coz the site says so. Zune is equally bad and notorious.social?? sharing?? Please tell me how many of u ever even use t?wifi is nothing but a drain on battery.I don live in US but it is a big joke to go to a wifi spot to listen to free internet radio. i can do it from my pc only.
CONCLUSION:
I have a ipod 30 gb and zune 30gb.
was a great fun initially using both but once the novelty wears off u begin to see the true colours.

Ipod sucks: no drag and drop, average battery, over hyped,useless EQ,click wheel is useless for a 30gb collection,Average SQ(Not bad by any standards)
Zune sucks: bigger than a brick not at all sleek,below average battery,No drag drop,NO Eq in 80 gb and a useless EQ in 30gb,Have to upgrade constantly,Bad radio reception(sony is exceptional).
i currently own a NWZ A728 sony player and why it rocks:
(1)Drag Drop Supported.
(2)Brillliant EQ and a host of cool audio filters(i don use them except clear bass but many can find use to it).
(3)Superb customizable eq.
(4)36 hrs of audio and 10 hrs video.
(5)Great UI and awesome screen.
(6)Great SQ even with included ear buds and Completely blows away competition with my Ultimate Ears.Ipod and Zune cant even hold a candle to these Sony boys in sound quality.
(7)Its small sleek and really light weight. Hold one u will know the difference.Made my ipod totting friends jealous when i pulled something so sleek and sexy off my pocket.

other good options are
(2)Cowon d2: BBE is great, nice touch screen, lots of updates, themes, good SQ and looks cute if not cool,touch screen,upgradable memory using cheap SHDC cards(a great cheap way to increase ur player cpacity and don underestimate how important this feature is)
(3)zen and fuze: both have good SQ and offer gr8 value for money.But both are a bit buggy so be ready for a few resets.both look like toys but hell for that cheap don expect andonized aluminum,upgradable memory using cheap SHDC cards.(zen does not integrate mory card with its player memory and has to be accessed seperately which is a pain in the ass).

Before zune fanboys start bashing me think over what i said and please give rational replies.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswin View Post
Before zune fanboys start bashing me think over what i said and please give rational replies.
I'm getting to the point where it's a moot issue to bash ANY player. Let's move on and enjoy your Sony,........ I do.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I am tired of this zune versus Ipod crap.
(1)Both are locked into proprietary software.
(2)both have average battery life(sony nwz or d2 i hear anyone say??)
(3)Both don have best SQ(zune is better than ipod but only by a small margin)
(4)Equalizer is a crap in both(purists can go hang urself. All of us dont own a 500$ cans or IEMs and eq goes a great way in solving the problems.)
(5)don bash ipod just coz the site says so. Zune is equally bad and notorious.social?? sharing?? Please tell me how many of u ever even use t?wifi is nothing but a drain on battery.I don live in US but it is a big joke to go to a wifi spot to listen to free internet radio. i can do it from my pc only.
CONCLUSION:
I have a ipod 30 gb and zune 30gb.
was a great fun initially using both but once the novelty wears off u begin to see the true colours.

Ipod sucks: no drag and drop, average battery, over hyped,useless EQ,click wheel is useless for a 30gb collection,Average SQ(Not bad by any standards)
Zune sucks: bigger than a brick not at all sleek,below average battery,No drag drop,NO Eq in 80 gb and a useless EQ in 30gb,Have to upgrade constantly,Bad radio reception(sony is exceptional).
i currently own a NWZ A728 sony player and why it rocks:
(1)Drag Drop Supported.
(2)Brillliant EQ and a host of cool audio filters(i don use them except clear bass but many can find use to it).
(3)Superb customizable eq.
(4)36 hrs of audio and 10 hrs video.
(5)Great UI and awesome screen.
(6)Great SQ even with included ear buds and Completely blows away competition with my Ultimate Ears.Ipod and Zune cant even hold a candle to these Sony boys in sound quality.
(7)Its small sleek and really light weight. Hold one u will know the difference.Made my ipod totting friends jealous when i pulled something so sleek and sexy off my pocket.

other good options are
(2)Cowon d2: BBE is great, nice touch screen, lots of updates, themes, good SQ and looks cute if not cool,touch screen,upgradable memory using cheap SHDC cards(a great cheap way to increase ur player cpacity and don underestimate how important this feature is)
(3)zen and fuze: both have good SQ and offer gr8 value for money.But both are a bit buggy so be ready for a few resets.both look like toys but hell for that cheap don expect andonized aluminum,upgradable memory using cheap SHDC cards.(zen does not integrate mory card with its player memory and has to be accessed seperately which is a pain in the ass).

I'm buying a Zune for the Screen, and it's capacity. Yes, it has an average battery, but it has the storage capacity I need. It's been slimmed down from the original Zune, so it's much more tolerable. Zune's UI is well done as well, along with a decent set of IEMs that come with it. Also, would everyone be satisfied with only a few gigs? No, of course not. I can't stand watching movies from a small screen, because all I pretty much watch is anime, and stuff like that, so subtitles are critical for me to even understand what's going on. My brother has around 109 gigs of movies, shows, music, pictures, etc, and he's planning to get a harddrive based, since it'll be cheaper, but still gets the job done. Do you think with that much stuff, it'll satisfy him with only 16 gigs? I think the answer is obvious.

Sony players are excellent, but from what I've seen, the newer players don't have much capacity to fit my stuff, and it's price tag is high, even if the players are great. In fact, the Zune 80 is cheaper than the Sony 16 gig model.

I'm certainly not saying this is better and that sucks. All I'm saying is that everyone has their own preferances. There are people who prefers Ipods over Mp3 players (Even though those kinds of people are fanboys, and no, that wouldn't be me), etc. In fact, I bought a Sandisk Sansa 2 years ago, because it was cheaper, and actually was able to play videos.

Everyone has their own standard, and from what you've wrote, it's just the requirements you have, and stuff like that. As for me, I need the space, and the screen. I don't care about the EQ, since I'm planning on getting a Sleek Audio SA6, along with the FiiO amp. I don't care if it's like a brick or not, since I've used it before, and it's size is fine by me. I'm already aware that Sony players are superior in most of the places, but since my budget is limited, but still need the space, I'm going with a harddrive player over a flash based.

As much as I would love to get a Cowon D2, I can't, since getting a 16 gigs card will cost me (Canada's expensive, you know) quite a bit more. No, Amazon, or Buy.com, Newegg, or those kinds of places do not ship internationally (Which angers me, sicne the prices over there are damn cheap.)

Before YOU label me as some Zune fanboy, to let you know, I has a Sandisk Sansa E260 since two years ago, and sold it just recently to save up the money to buy a decent mp3 player.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 AM

any hard drive player is a land mine. my old 5gb ipod died the first time i dropped it from a table(luckily it was after two years). i am sick of handling these players with velvet gloves always.Warranty does not cover accidental drops. and hard drive plyers are a dying breed.

@joyounghoon
ya for ur needs zune suits but i don think most people have 109 gb worth of videos and need to carry them all at the same time. Filling up *gb should last for atleast couple of weeks with even high usage. Is swapping songs every two weeks such a pain for getting a technically much superior product which u can be sure wont break on the first drop.
Ipod sold in droves because it looks good. Not all people wolud be happy carrying a brick like object around.

But as the saying goes each one to his own hope u enjoy ur zune joyounghoon.Sony cost more as they are made to last. a1000 of my sis is going strong even now.No buggy software and no stupid constant firmware updates.bascally peace of mind gr8 Sound quality, excellent packed ear bods, crisp big screen, sleek and light weight,, well u need to pay for it mate.. a728 is 150$ with free shipping in amazon wen i last saw it so its still notthe most expensive player around..

Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
any hard drive player is a land mine. my old 5gb ipod died the first time i dropped it from a table(luckily it was after two years). i am sick of handling these players with velvet gloves always.Warranty does not cover accidental drops. and hard drive plyers are a dying breed.

@joyounghoon
ya for ur needs zune suits but i don think most people have 109 gb worth of videos and need to carry them all at the same time. Filling up *gb should last for atleast couple of weeks with even high usage. Is swapping songs every two weeks such a pain for getting a technically much superior product which u can be sure wont break on the first drop.
Ipod sold in droves because it looks good. Not all people wolud be happy carrying a brick like object around.

But as the saying goes each one to his own hope u enjoy ur zune joyounghoon.Sony cost more as they are made to last. a1000 of my sis is going strong even now.No buggy software and no stupid constant firmware updates.bascally peace of mind gr8 Sound quality, excellent packed ear bods, crisp big screen, sleek and light weight,, well u need to pay for it mate.. a728 is 150$ with free shipping in amazon wen i last saw it so its still notthe most expensive player around..
Hahaha. With the materials used to build the Zune 80, it won't break from a drop. A have a friend saying he dropped it a few times, but it's perfectly right now.

Another thing. Canada.

According to a few sites, they go for $199 online for 8 gigs. So around here, it isn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive. Still, more expensive than a Cowon d2.

As much as I'd like to order loads of stuff from Amazon, they don't ship to Canada. Nor does Buy.com, Newegg, or any other places that sells stuff for cheap. What about Amazon Canada, you say? The Canadian Amazon is a waste of time, with only books, games, clothes, and stuff like that. Barely anything related with technology, and etc. No Headphones, Mp3 players, and not much stuff to look around for.

The "constant" firmware is optional, and it's already stable as it is. Besides, doesn't it update just by syncing the Zune, doesn't it? I don't think it's that much of a pain.

The Zune has a decent sound quality. May not be as good, but it's decent enough. And the IEMS that come with the Zune is good as well, so nothing to complain about.

Sure, Sony's products are better, but the Zune isn't as bad as you may think it is.

Still, everyone has their own opinion, and I respect that.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 AM

fair enough.. I too don live in US. In india 4 gig model costs 220$.. i got this thru a frnd for 150$ in US.. man wonder why every thin is so cheap there.. Prices are sky high in my country.. sad man.

Frankly i lost all confidence in any microsoft product after x360 and zune...one buggy hardware with gr8 s/w another great hardware crippled brutally by software.. I Think zune hardware is same as toshiba giga beat which is greatly repected by many..(zune is made by toshiba)..but hell gates or steve jobs i don care they cant force me to use any proprietary software.zune aint bad.. it just above it.. but a could have been as gr8 as sony or cowon .. why even better than them but is being forcibly crippled by microsoft