android
Old 01-20-2008, 07:30 PM

Default ZUNE vs everything else?

looking to replace my sandisk 4gb with a 30gb player. looking to spend under $200. i see some zunes on ebay and such that fit my specs. any reason i shouldn't go for it? i see amazon has only 3.5 stars, but the ones that lik eit REALLY like it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

The only negative I heard about the Zune is that the Marketplace software is atrocious. Other thanthat, from what I've heard it's a great player. Some people prefer the 30GB rather than the new 80GB because the EQ was dropped in the later model.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
The only negative I heard about the Zune is that the Marketplace software is atrocious. Other thanthat, from what I've heard it's a great player. Some people prefer the 30GB rather than the new 80GB because the EQ was dropped in the later model.
what's the deal with the software? just not user friendly?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM

the new software was built from the ground up and microsoft removed common features such as auto playlists, batch ID Tag editing, no EQ, among other things.

it's tolerable if you're just using it to sync. even then people have reported problems with the software such as:

installation problems.

upon importing a music folder albums, artists and art work getting mixed up. just make sure your tags are correct before importing audio.

when syncing media people have reported doubles (or more) of certain songs.

when you delete media from your pc and/or media from your software collection (library) those will get deleted from the zune device, so you have to "connect as a guest" in the software.

for alot of people it's a headache. but note that those could be the minority and plenty have no problems at all. i didn't have any problems myself (mainly due to a small library) except the deleting things from my pc/software and those getting deleted from the zune. microsoft released a tool that allows you to connect as a guest which pretty much makes it manual sync. if you prefer automatic sync then you better have a large hard drive.

other than all that there's a cool hack that allows you to use your own image as the software background. you can also change the font colors with a little work. i'm typing up a guide to show how to do that.

i sometimes use the SW as my main media player because all i do is shuffle music, which it does fine BUT the SW is quite bloated and uses up alot of resources due to the Zune Marketplace running in the background. kind of like itunes with the itunes store running. if there was a way to disable the marketplace and if there was more video formats supported i would strictly use it as my main player. it's got the coolest layout i've seen in a player.

i'm very happy with my zune 30 and my only real complaint is battery life. i get about 8-10 hours of heavy use out of a single charge. i love looking at the album artwork when a song is playing so that eats up a bit of battery.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
the new software was built from the ground up and microsoft removed common features such as auto playlists, batch ID Tag editing, no EQ, among other things.

it's tolerable if you're just using it to sync. even then ALOT of people have reported problems with the software such as:

installation problems.

upon importing a music folder albums, artists and art work getting mixed up.

when syncing media people have reported doubles (or more) of certain songs.

when you delete media from your pc and/or media from your software collection (library) those will get deleted from the zune device, so you have to "connect as a guest" in the software.

for alot of people it's a headache. but note that those could be the minority and plenty have no problems at all. i didn't have any problems myself (mainly due to a small library) except the deleting things from my pc/software and those getting deleted from the zune. microsoft released a tool that allows you to connect as a guest which pretty much makes it manual sync. if you prefer automatic sync then you better have a large hard drive.

other than all that there's a cool hack that allows you to use your own image as the software background. you can also change the font colors with a little work. i'm typing up a guide to show how to do that.
Wow, I sure feel like a tool for actually liking the Zune software...

You have to admit that the podcasting functionality is great, especially since the Zune software (and the Zune itself) can play all the video formats an iPod can play, and then some, save iTunes-restricted files of course.

On top of that, the screen is better, and probably not just between the Zune 80 and iPod Classic; the Zunes 4 and 8 school the third-generation fat Nano. The screen is negligibly smaller, but judging from some good comparison shots I can discern that the Zune's screen just looks better. It seems to me like it probably has a better color range, as well as deeper blacks.

Oh, and about the Zune being better than everything else: CNET, which is notably iPod-biased, "tied" the Zune 80 and iPod Classic based on points, even though the Zune edged out the Classic in 4 out of 5 categories. How's that for a tie-breaker?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned

The new Zune software appears to be optimized for Vista. I've got a PC with a minimally working Vista install, and the Zune app was pushing my video card. I had to go into settings and turn off the fancy video features to stabilize it. I haven't been able to install it on my XP Pro machine.

If you watch the sales you might find a Zune 80 for your a good price. Thinner and with a touch/click squircle that is neater than the 1st Zune's interface.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:50 PM

If you buy a new Zune 30, you have the option of keeping the older 1.x firmware and the older 1.x Software (based on Windows Media Player). With the Zune 80, you don't have that option.

Keep in mind that the Zune 30 with the new 2.x firmware does NOT support .mp4 podcasts, only wmv... if you download a mp4 podcast, the new software will re-encode it before syncing.

Keep a sharp eye out on Amazon as well... they change their prices regularly and you might be able to find a 30 for as low as $150. The Zune 80 is NOT worth $250 nor even $200, IMO. It is way too closed and way too proprietary for those prices.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Zune verses others?

I received a zune 80gb for Christmas and spent a whole month trying to use it. I ended up taking it back and getting my money back. I had to keep un-installing and re-installing the software. The only thing I could use was the radio! I couldn't load my own music onto the zune. It doesn't recognize Windows media player. Every time I put a cd onto my pc, the zune software would open up, even when my zune wasn't hooked to my pc. You have to subscribe to zune marketplace for your music. When I would load podcasts onto my zune, they would get erased when I didn't want them erased. They still have a lot of problems with the zune 80gb. The software is really hard to figure out. Go to zune.net and see all of the problems people are having with it. I am now comparing other mp3 players to see which is best for me. As of now, the zune is out!!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, as with everything Microsoft puts their hands on, the Zune is completely closed. Zune Marketplace and the Ecosystem can be good and all, but I ultimately prefer freedom of choice over tight integration or extreme ease of use (as if opening a thumb drive-like device and throwing audio files onto it wasn't easy). And I'm happy to see that some DAPs released recently can connect as UMS devices when no MTP driver or MTP-compliant OS is running.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 PM

OK, here is my Zune story.

I started out with a black Zune 30 a few months after the launch, and I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it for a very long time until, for some reason, the software just stopped working on my computer. It was a problem that they had never seen before (and were unable to fix) so I just ended up ebaying it, and I waited for the Zune 80. I got it off Zune Originals, and it has worked without a hitch since. No problems syncing (with a library of over 4000 songs), great lazer engraved background, I love the screen, and everyone who I show is impressed. I heartily recommend the Zune--just download the software beforehand and see how it runs, and you should be fine.

(>^_^)>~Stropko~<(^_^<)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman11 View Post
OK, here is my Zune story.

I started out with a black Zune 30 a few months after the launch, and I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it for a very long time until, for some reason, the software just stopped working on my computer. It was a problem that they had never seen before (and were unable to fix) so I just ended up ebaying it, and I waited for the Zune 80. I got it off Zune Originals, and it has worked without a hitch since. No problems syncing (with a library of over 4000 songs), great lazer engraved background, I love the screen, and everyone who I show is impressed. I heartily recommend the Zune--just download the software beforehand and see how it runs, and you should be fine.

(>^_^)>~Stropko~<(^_^<)
Given your experience with the 30's software not working, I'm surprised that you would put yourself in another situation where you are locked in to a single application to interact with your player...especially one that is as unstable as the new Zune software.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Keep a sharp eye out on Amazon as well... they change their prices regularly and you might be able to find a 30 for as low as $150.
Last year, just before Christmas, they were selling Zune 30GBs for a bit over $80. I snagged one. I gotta admit I don't use it that often, but I keep it around because I'm curious as to whether Microsoft will release a firmware update that'll do something really cool with the WiFi.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
And I'm happy to see that some DAPs released recently can connect as UMS devices when no MTP driver or MTP-compliant OS is running.
Or even add a UMS (MSC) setting in a firmware update, as Sandisk did with the Sansa Clip a short time ago.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Stay with flash based devices!!! (Sansa, Nano, iRiver) as the larger devices tend to have more problems.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 PM

Never had a problem with my Zune 80 or the software. The software runs fine on my computer and I have never had it crash. I do wish I could just drag and drop files onto the Zune though. That would be my only complaint.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM

I never really owned anything besides a Zune 30 and a Zune 80. I have owned the 3rd Gen iPod Nano, but I didn't like the small size and space.

The Zune just works and I really only need it for two things.
It plays my music (via radio or own collection) and manages my podcasts.

Videos are decent too and I don't mind the software.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Video podcasts REALLY work great on the Zune 80. It made to handle them like a dream.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM

I like the Zune software better than itunes. I have a few basic genres on the left, I select one and then see the artists in the middle with each of their ablums, I select and album and then see the tracks.

I wish it was more customizable like Meedio but there is a trade off between simple ease of use and custom. I like the way Zune manages things for the most part.

I really like the Zune Pass. I search for the new Cold Play album, I can see an AMG review, I drag and drop the album cover to my ZUNE icon and I'm done.

I purchased the ZUNE & ZUNE PASS for use in the car with my FORD/MS SYNC. I plug ZUNE into my USB connection in the center console and then say "Play playlist August" or "Play Artist Cold Play" etc and I have great sound (relative to CD player in car). I control the display, next track and volume with the car stereo.

I manually SYNC by dragging and dropping or deleting tracks off the ZUNE.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

^^
Does Sync works well with the Zune ?
Can you post any photos of it working with your Zune ?
that level of car integration is something I havent seen before.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM

SYNC is why I purchased a ZUNE. I wanted subscription music in the car.

I have my ZUNE with ZUNE PASS in my center console connected with USB. My Ford Fusion with SYNC has Line-in, A/C, and USB connections in the center console. With USB I get power and data to my car stereo.

I hit a button on my steering wheel and use voice commands to play:
Play, artist, U2 --OR
Play, album, Joshua Tree --OR
Play, With or without you -- OR
Play, playlist, drive mix

I see tag info such as ARIST, ALUBM, SONG on my radio display. I push a button to sequence from song name to artist on the display.

I can hit a button on my steering wheel or car stereo to skip to the next song.

The manual says I can organize my music by folders. If I do it properly I can hit the FOLDER button to skip folders (i.e. artists or albums) and the track buttong to skip tracks. This way it would be like a fast & high capacity CD changer. My current dragging and dropping of ZUNE PASS songs to ZUNE doesn't seem to be in the correct folder structure because I can only change songs by voice or next track. The folder button is not responding. On my mp3 CD with folders it worked perfect.

SYNC works with iPod, ZUNE and many other portables. Syncmyride.com has a list of compatible players.

ZUNE PASS works with USB connection. My p2 with Rhapsody did not. I had to use LINE IN/AUX cable. The SYNC side didn't have the p2 listed as "plays protected content" where other players were listed as such.

LINE IN connection requires using the ZUNE/iPod/P2 for song selection, play, skip, etc. On sunny days it's hard to see the screen and it's more of a road distraction. It also didn't seem to sound as good and certainly required turning up the volume a lot more.

I have also gotten BLUE TOOTH Audio to work on my cell phone and P2. I can send a playlist and hit skip track on the car stereo.

Last edited by kjohnsonhp; 08-07-2008 at 08:33 AM.