android
Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 AM

Help Playlists in Linux?

Hello,
anybody know how to create playlists for the Express in Linux?
I've used the converter I've found in a discussion in the e200 section of the forum (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?p=64891) but it does not work: the Express does not seem to recognize the playlist.

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 PM

Have you had any luck with getting playlists in msc/linux for the express ?

I am also unable to create playlists for the express in linux. Followed the steps to converting and m3u to pla in this forum, even downloaded this that USED to work with my C250, I even ID3 tagged all my files, but nothing worked!

But now I'm getting a weird behavior. They show up tagged in nautilus audio properties and easytag, etc. but in the express they just show as "unknown artist", "unknown album" :S

So now my next step would be to strip the tags completely and hope the express goes by file/folder structure, as it allegedly does when no tags are present.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: I noticed you recently posted you now have mtp (mtpfs), did this solve the issue?

Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM

I've not found any solutions yet.
Playlists in the express are not in pla format, nor m3u.. they are somewhat "written" in the database, and there is no way to create them in linux. Windows is needed, AFAIK.
MTP does not help, because there still is no software able to "emulate" what WMP10+ does when it creates playlists

Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etereo View Post
But now I'm getting a weird behavior. They show up tagged in nautilus audio properties and easytag, etc. but in the express they just show as "unknown artist", "unknown album" :S

So now my next step would be to strip the tags completely and hope the express goes by file/folder structure, as it allegedly does when no tags are present.
You are probably using a wrong id3 format.
I used Kid3 to tag my files, and they all show up correctly in the Express.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM

Default Amarok is the answer

Have spent ALL night trying to work out how to add playlists to the Sansa Express without using WMP or Winamp (which crashed XP continually) and the answer is to avoid MS altogether and use Amarok on Linux.

So long as you have the libmtp and libusb (newer than vn 1.12) libraries installed it works brilliantly, recognising the SE as an MTP device and creating .zpl (NOT .pla) playlists in the /Playlists folder properly. Thus I have decided not to crush the SE but fall in love with it again:-).

Is there another way to create/edit .zpl lists more directly - anyone know?

Old 06-15-2008, 02:31 AM

ID3V2.4 is not supported by the Sansa Express. First make sure you have the latest firmware, then in EasyTAG go to Settings->Preferences, click on ID3 Tag Settings, make sure "Write ID3v2 tag" box is checked, and from the version dropdown, choose "ID3v2.3". Worked for me.

Last edited by SiaFhir; 06-15-2008 at 02:41 AM.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Default Amarok problems

Having succeeded with Amarok initally - it's now gone on the blink but I did discover (eventually) that the Windows / Winamp crashing was dependent upon specifically which powered USB hub I was using (it also crashed without one at all). I read somewhere else that devices require more power in MTP mode than MSC. So now I'm back to managing all playlists / transfers etc via Winamp running in a virtual Windows machine under OpenSuse 10.2. All seems stable and co-operative at the moment.

Amarok recognises the device in MTP mode but immediately I click the "connect" button I get a message saying ther device has been removed (without being "disconnected" i.e unmounted). Is this something to do with libmtp? Any ideas?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Have you found a way to create playlists manually? I tried to create .zpl playslist using this: http://geekswithblogs.net/mikedopp/a...to-create.aspx
template, but when I saved the playlist in /Playlists folder in my SE it didn't even showed up in Playlist menu (only Go list is available).
I'm starting really dislike SE.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Default ridiculous!!!

Yes! I don't like "media organaizers", nor "libraries"
I use my own folder structure, and don't use ID3 tags.
and I don't wana change it!!

But now, I need a playlist on my sansa express...
and it turns out, that I CAN'T make one manually!!!

deeply disturbed, and deeply unhappy.