android
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Default D2 battery, in search of detailed specs

Howdy,

We all know the rated battery life of the D2. We all know that the battery is big and huge and great. I'm looking for really specific specs on it, though.

From the dissected pictures, it appears to be a single-cell Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery, 3.7v (nominal... should be closer to 4.2v hot off the charger) and (again from the pictures) I'd have to guess it's somewhere between 2000mAh and 3000mAh.

However, I haven't ordered mine, so I can't take a peek in for myself. On IRC I was told to check the Cowon Global forums, but that yielded nothing. Does anyone know the actual capacity rating of the battery (in mAh, Ah, Wh, or J, or whatever)?

I'm interested primarily because I am also an RC hobbyist, and I have LiPos of various sizes and configurations lying around. For me, any battery is "user-replaceable", and "user-upgradeable" too. Curious what it would take to replace your aging D2's battery? Or to enable 20hr video playback, or to make field battery that you could optionally plug in to drain in parallel to the internal? I am!

Either way, I'll promise to crack open mine and check for myself and post the result. If you're interested (I am!), I'll pull out my multimeter and record the power draw at the battery terminal under various conditions (idle, music playback, low bitrate and high bitrate video playback, using internal or SD memory, etc) and get some real numbers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Redneck Moderator

Alright, some one with the same questions as me. Yes, it does look like a single cell LiPo. I've also got alot of batterys kicking around(My bro is the RC addict). That would be nice if you did measure it out, I don't have a D2 yet, but I've thought about doing a battery upgrade for my A2. Share your findings, it could be interesting.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:17 AM

It's very common for the ratings to be printed on the battery; I'd figure someone to have seen it. If not, I'll have to just drain it and see what it does. :-/

Old 01-19-2008, 05:15 AM

Alright you guys, what is RC?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinwalker View Post
Howdy,

We all know the rated battery life of the D2. We all know that the battery is big and huge and great. I'm looking for really specific specs on it, though.

From the dissected pictures, it appears to be a single-cell Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery, 3.7v (nominal... should be closer to 4.2v hot off the charger) and (again from the pictures) I'd have to guess it's somewhere between 2000mAh and 3000mAh.

[...]

I'm interested primarily because I am also an RC hobbyist, and I have LiPos of various sizes and configurations lying around. For me, any battery is "user-replaceable", and "user-upgradeable" too. Curious what it would take to replace your aging D2's battery? Or to enable 20hr video playback, or to make field battery that you could optionally plug in to drain in parallel to the internal? I am!

Either way, I'll promise to crack open mine and check for myself and post the result. If you're interested (I am!), I'll pull out my multimeter and record the power draw at the battery terminal under various conditions (idle, music playback, low bitrate and high bitrate video playback, using internal or SD memory, etc) and get some real numbers.
Finally, someone who will do what I'm always speaking of! Please keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONES129 View Post
Radio Control, usually cars, but also planes, helicopters and stuff like that.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:37 PM

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/CowonD2Info <-- more info... and if something's missing there, it would probably be good to add it for the developers.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONES129

Radio Control, usually cars, but also planes, helicopters and stuff like that.
In my case, scratchbuilt foam planes. To fly the things, the only real option is LiPos, which are light relative to their capacity enough and can discharge very quickly. So, I have a small arsenal of batteries, chargers, and odds and ends.

Thanks for the link, dfkt. That's some good info, especially on the charger. When I get my numbers, I'll post them to the wiki. I doubt it'll help any for their development, but at least it'll be there for others to see.