android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The clip does not support mp3 files below 64kbps. Hopefully this will change with a new firmware release, or the 4 gig version might support lower bitrates.
While that is what's stated in the manual, I've downloaded several podcasts to my Clip that are 48 and even 32 kbps and they all play fine. Perhaps the mode one uses affects this. I always use MTP with my Clip.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Were the 32 kbps podcasts that played on the Clip mp3 files or WMA? I seem to recall the Clip manual mentioning mp3 support at 64 kbps and above, but WMA support starting at 32 kbps. If 32 kbps mp3 files played fine on the clip, I wonder if 16 kbps mp3 files will also play okay. I think even Apple has made the lower end for mp3 files at 16kbps for its newest flash based players. In the past it was 32 kbps. Not that I want to buy an ipod, however Apple does influence the whole industry.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Were the 32 kbps podcasts that played on the Clip mp3 files or WMA? I seem to recall the Clip manual mentioning mp3 support at 64 kbps and above, but WMA support starting at 32 kbps. If 32 kbps mp3 files played fine on the clip, I wonder if 16 kbps mp3 files will also play okay. I think even Apple has made the lower end for mp3 files at 16kbps for its newest flash based players. In the past it was 32 kbps. Not that I want to buy an ipod, however Apple does influence the whole industry.
MP3. In fact, all the audio files on my Clip are MP3. I don't do WMA if I can help it.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The clip does not support mp3 files below 64kbps. Hopefully this will change with a new firmware release, or the 4 gig version might support lower bitrates.
I just found this inconsistency in the Clip's online User's Manual. Both of these statements are on page 20 (Section 10 - Tips & Troubleshooting):

"Which bit rate will the Sansa Clip player support? The Sansa Clip player will support 64-320Kbps for MP3 and 32-192Kbps for WMA."

This was followed just a little farther down the same page by:

"Is the player compatible with podcast? As long as the podcast are in MP3 format and an appropriate bit rate (32-320 kbps), then the player should be capable of playing these files."

The Clip's manual is not the finest example of English literature I've run across lately. I guess we get to take our pick as to which statement to believe. But to repeat, my experience is that podcasts at 32Kbps play just fine on my Clip.

Anyone want to rip a music CD at 32Kbps and see if it plays on the Clip?

Edit: I just made an MP3 test recording of a song at 32Kbps and loaded it onto my Clip. It plays. The sound sucks. But it plays.

Last edited by DapperDan; 02-05-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Adding additional information

Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks Dan. As long as you are in the mood to experiment, you could take some voice files and make them into 16 kbps mp3 files and see if the Clip will play them. You could also hear for yourself that voice recordings at 16 kbps mono will sound quite good if the original recordings are good(or if they sound very good at 32 kbps or 64 kbps). Going to 8 kbps mp3 for lectures in my experience produces files that are not pleasant to listen to.