android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega52 View Post
I have the latest firmware (v0.1.01.18A) & I can turn the unit off while charging through the USB to PC cable. I am assuming that it is still charging.
This seems to work for me on Windows 2000, using MSC. However the display only stays blank when I brutally turn the Clip off, not when I do the "safely remove hardware" dance. With safely removed hardware, the display turns on again after a second, and the Clip reconnects to the PC.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM

it will happen eventually, but also look at the positive side, longer battery life

Old 01-27-2008, 10:48 AM

I just had an idea about what would possibly be the best for charging the Clip while being easy on the OLED:

Display totally turned off, and the wheel's LEDs blinking. When the Clip finally is fully charged the blinking should stop and display continuous light.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I just had an idea about what would possibly be the best for charging the Clip while being easy on the OLED:

Display totally turned off, and the wheel's LEDs blinking. When the Clip finally is fully charged the blinking should stop and display continuous light.
Good idea.

Somewhat similar to the Sansa Connect, which pulses the on/off button while charging.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

Great idea! But rather than have blinking while charging, why not have it start when fully charged.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Details, details...

Blinking/pulsing while charging and steady light when finished seems to be the more logical way, the way it's implemented in most devices I know.

It's logical (at least to me) - "blinking" means "working" (the player does something - charging, in this case), "steady" means "finished". That's at least what I think would be good human interface design.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Depending on how it is implemented, I could see some people finding anything blinking distracting and annoying (such as the current screen). I have heard some say that about the wheel light generally. However it's done, it would be nice to have a "Charging indicator off" option in the settings.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 AM

Haha details indeed. How about a soft, pulsating (via PWM of the LED). I've implemented this "heartbeat" approach into a few commercial products I've developed - and the customer reaction is "hey that's cool!". Doesn't annoy anyone, and it is almost mesmerizing.

Then it can turn ON solid, when charging is done. Or flash maniacally. Whatever

Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That would be sweet ...

Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Let's not forget we're talking about highly hypothetical stuff here...

Yeah, I don't like flashy stuff as well. I'd rather have no blue LED ring at all. I was just being practical, since I believe the Clip LEDs can only emit blue light.

My Nintendo DS has a constant orange LED while charging and turns off when finished. Same with my Clie TH55. My Cowon X5's LED glows red while charging and turns green when finished. ... So yes, there are less obnoxious options, indeed.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
Haha details indeed. How about a soft, pulsating (via PWM of the LED). I've implemented this "heartbeat" approach into a few commercial products I've developed - and the customer reaction is "hey that's cool!". Doesn't annoy anyone, and it is almost mesmerizing.
That's what the Sansa Connect does with its power button. That pulsating look has always reminded me of the way a person breathes while asleep. Probably intentional.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 AM

I guess that pulsating light is something Apple came up with first, in an earlier generation of their laptops... at least that's where I saw it first in a tech gadget. Sure looks nice.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Samsung Moderator

It's pretty. Like a heartbeat. It makes your piece of electronics personal. Later, you could name it and take it out to a movie.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM

sansa is the best

Old 02-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The clip does not support mp3 files below 64kbps. Hopefully this will change with a new firmware release, or the 4 gig version might support lower bitrates.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

JK98, why do you need lower then 64kbps any way?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Samsung Moderator

Some people still use mp3 for spoken word recordings. 64 kbps tends to be getting towards overkill for spoken word if properly encoded. It's too bad that the clip doesn't support the SPEEX protocol.

If you're listening to music below 64kbps, you're an R-Tard.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"JK98, why do you need lower then 64kbps any way?"

Some podcasts are at 32 kbps. Some of the lectures I listen to are at 16 kbps. 16 kbps sounds fine for voice recordings if the original recordings are decent quality. I wold hate to have to go through the step of converting 16 kbps files to 64 kbps, then having them take up 4 times as much room on the player. Most mp3 players by other brands besides Sandisk support 32 kbps. Some brands have models that support mp3 files as low as 8 kbps. Someone who posted on this thread said he wants a player for podcasts and music. If the podcasts he is interested in are at 32 kbps mp3, then he would have to convert them to 64 kbps to play them on the player. I found out about this by reading the player manual since I was considering buying one. I suggest to people to download the player manual for the player they are considering before buying it. That way you will be much less likely to later find out that the player doesn't do what you want it to do.

I wish mp3 player makers would list the supported bitrange range in their player specifications. Usually they only mention the high end, not the low end of the supported bitrates.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It's too bad that the clip doesn't support the SPEEX protocol.
... or any other player besides rockboxed ones (to my knowledge). Speex would be very nice for my audiobook needs.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98
Someone who posted on this thread said he wants a player for podcasts and music.
That was me. I have never done podcasts before as I don't really want to sit at my computer to listen to them. Since I'm getting a DAP anyway (mostly for music) I figured I could use it for podcasts too. I had no idea that the bitrate was different or could be an issue. That info never came up in all the research I have done. Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I just checked on the ones I am interested in and they are 64kbps. Seems odd to me that ANY player wouldn't support the lower end, whats the harm?? But what do I know....(not much)