android
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Default *Note: Actual formatted capacity less.

I was just curious. How much space is there on the 2 GB Clip after formatting?

I have a 1 GB Clip and if we assume the device actually has 1 GB then it should have 1024 MB total when I follow the prompts to it after connecting it to my computer. Instead it says 965 MB. That's a difference of 59 MB. Is it the same for the 2 GB?

I plan on returning mine and getting a 4 GB btw, cuz I can!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

this has been discussed alot, i'm not sure EXACTLY how much capacity the 2gb version has...but the difference has to do with a few things...one being the difference in the fact that most manufacturing companies use decimal notation and consider 1gb to be just that, 1000MB...but most OS's consider 1gb to be 1024MB so after formatting and making room for file overhead, you have less than 1000MB and you NEVER actually had 1024...i would say it's safe to assume it has around 1930MB...

Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Which version of the Clip do you have?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

neither...but all drives will be pretty much the same...in general, the firmware resides on a dedicated piece of memory so it does not usually affect the usable storage so the OS size does not need to be accounted for...this generally makes the drives on all players relatively the same...it's just the formatting/file overhead that needs to be accounted for and most 2gb players will be the same when it's all said and done...

Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 PM

Is file overhead stuff like folders and ID3 tags?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
Is file overhead stuff like folders and ID3 tags?
No that's the files and folders itself, its the spot that shows the device where the file is

On another note, it also depends on how the chip was made
For example my 1GB M200 969 MB actual size. So it really depends on how the particular chip in your unit was made
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 PM

Actually, when there are no files on the 1 GB Clip it also says 969 MB on the unit itself. This is different from what the PC says and I just assumed that people didn't want to erase all the music off of their 2 GB just to answer a question here!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When it is in MSC mode, right click on drive, then click on Properties. If you look at bytes by Capacity, you can see the space in reality.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Let me see if I can clear up this confusion here...

Hard drives capacities are typically given in decimal bytes, meaning 1GB=1000MB=1,000,000,000 Bytes. This has been a point of contention for a long time, since memory within a digital computer system is always accessed in binary units, not decimal, so expressing capacity in decimal units is deceptive marketing.

Physical memory, on the other hand, is always packaged and marketed in terms of binary capacity, and is one of the reasons why you often see memory sold in odd capacities (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 ... 512, 1024, etc). Unless a manufacturer is engaging in the same deceptive marketing practice considered normal among hard drive manufacturers, a 2GB flash-based player will have 2GiB, or 2048MiB of storage.

The reason you cannot actually use all 2048MiB of storage space is because of what's known as filesystem overhead, which affects any type of memory formatted for use as file storage. As is nearly always the case with MSC players (and MTP/MSC hybrids and MTP players capable of exposing all or part of its filesystem to the host computer), the storage area is formatted using FAT16 or FAT32. Just like the name suggests, FAT works by setting aside a block of space for the File Allocation Table (essentially, a map of the entire storage area). The higher the capacity, the larger the table. The 59MB that appears to be missing from your 1GiB player is most likely this file allocation table.

FAT16/32 also has additional overhead that won't be immediately visible when you query the device's free space, but still has to be considered. In order to make FAT work on large-capacity media, the sector sizes have to be large - generally set at 32k blocks. A block cannot have more than one file in it; if a file (or part of a large file) does not completely fill a 32k block, the unused space is wasted. This waste adds up very quickly with small files, and can still have a notable effect even with typical music file sizes. Lastly, for every file saved to the storage area, FAT allocates extra space for metadata -- basically, scratchpad space where the host OS can store notes about the file, such as creation and modification dates, access dates, file attributes, and so on. This metadata area is not to be confused with metadata that is contained within a media file, such as ID3 data, as this metadata is contained within the file itself.

Hopefully this helps explain the reason why "actual formatted capacity [is] less".

Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM

There is also the fact that the available capacity may vary somewhat from unit to unit due to flash blocks that have been marked bad (at time of manufacture of the device). I have 2 otherwise identical 2GB Clips; one reports 1921MB, and the other 1949MB.

How about a little census from the community? Mind if I hijack this thread? OK, thanks:

Just post the number as reported in the Clip's Settings/System Info menu...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM

Mine shows 1949 MB

Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
There is also the fact that the available capacity may vary somewhat from unit to unit due to flash blocks that have been marked bad (at time of manufacture of the device). I have 2 otherwise identical 2GB Clips; one reports 1921MB, and the other 1949MB.

How about a little census from the community? Mind if I hijack this thread? OK, thanks:

Just post the number as reported in the Clip's Settings/System Info menu...
2GB Clip:
Version - V01.01.20A
Memory - 1949 MB
Free - 46 MB

Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Mine also says 1949 MB

Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Mine also says 1949 MB
same here.