android
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Default The Creative Zen Sleek Startup Issue

So, as it goes, I have lurked these boards unknown scouring for an answer to my plight. As of now, I have not found a solution. I am fairly sure that Creative is a company that was started just to make me lose sleep and time, being said the only thing I have gained in the process of trying to fix my player is that it could be a very nice I.D. case, if hollowed out.

It all started with the low battery screen. When I go to plug it in I accidentally hit the power button first and I am perpetually stuck with a black screen that just says 'Creative' (after the screen that has the copyright and such under a similar looking screen, also saying creative), I go into recovery and manage to shut it down to charge. Now when I try to turn it back on I still get the screen. Tried the disk cleanup, and reformatting, and now, yes now, I went for reloading the firmware. But even though the computer recognizes my player, when I'm running the firmware program it will not recognize my player. I tried running the 'fixup.exe' from the dell site and it hasn't done anything.

The most frustrating thing may be that I had a previous creative player, a jukebox, which did the same thing. So I bought this one instead, which leads me to lose much faith in Creative, because I looked for months when this happened to my last player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you try the Reload Firmware option from the Recovery Mode menu? It makes a huge difference!

Seeing as how you can access Recovery Mode, can perform its disk operations, and seeing as how your computer does recognize it, it seems there's a good chance it's simply firmware corruption causing your problem.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 AM

What do you mean by firmware corruption?

When I try to reload the firmware the firmware dialogue box itself claims that my player is not connected.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Firmware = the operating system running on your player. The firmware file you download is just simply a vehicle for getting the firmware into your player. If the firmware on your player is corrupt, your player won't boot, and may even prevent your player from docking. In such a situation, the firmware has to be completely removed, which can only be done via Recovery Mode.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM

I know what firmware is. But when I completely removed the firmware before, on my jukebox, then my computer recognized a 20gb mass storage device, and I could do nothing from there. Also doesn't the firmware 'program' tell you to access the reload firmware from the recovery mode at a certain time? Right now all I can do is access recovery mode.

As of now, I am where I was with my last player.
  • I select reload firmware from recovery mode.
  • It tells me it is erasing the firmware and that I need to start the firmware application now!
  • I start the application and it either: a) does nothing b) goes to the language menu and then does nothing or c) actually opens the application and tells me that my device is not detected.
Any more help would be greatly appreciated though.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ick. That wasn't supposed to happen. Does your computer still recognize the player as being connected?

If not, you may need to disconnect and reformat your player (yes, I know you did this already), then try again. If so, try running that fixup.exe program you got again.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 PM

How terribly disheartening. I reformatted and restarted my computer and then tried to reload the firmware and it was working great, until it froze up 90% into the firmware upgrade.

Anyone have that problem before?

Does anyone have any advice for getting off of the startup screen?

It just freezes their, and resetting it only takes me back to that screen, no recovery mode .

Am I going to have to dive in and take the battery out or something?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 PM

you should be able to get back to recovery mode after the battery dies(lol) from there you'll have to try and reload the firmware again, however I had a similar issue with a 5gig micro, I had to send it back to the seller, could never get it working

Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 AM

iam having this same problem about the firmware i reloaded it and all it does is it take me to the recovery mode every time its turned on and when i connect it to my computer to update the new one the computer does not reconize it

thou when i tried to reinstall the ZEN with the installtion disk it gave my some little mp3 player in my MY COMPUTER screen with 20MB of space

Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtriviumv View Post
thou when i tried to reinstall the ZEN with the installtion disk it gave my some little mp3 player in my MY COMPUTER screen with 20MB of space
so it is recognizing it now but the player is not working? explain