android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi Udi, I can't really tell from the picture, but I assume the red and black parts on the earbuds could be separated? At least I don't think the silver/green SE logo on the back would be an access to the insides. There's probably nothing underneath the silicon tips as well that looks like an access?

They're very likely glued at the red/black parts, so it looks like it would be a real hassle prying them apart without breaking the stem that leads to the cable.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM

I finally got around to doing these mods. My soldering skills are very lackluster but I managed to solder them correctly. I got my cable from some old XB's that had a dead driver and I also got the mesh from there too. I've also mesh modded a new set of X3i's I bought after the right channel died, but having re soldered and knotted, all is fine.

Thanks very much for the tutorial dfkt!

(A little threadjack here but how common is it that for DAP's to have volume balance between right and left channels?. I either have two really unbalanced sets of earphones, or I'm slightly deaf in my right ear..or most of the music I listen to is left channel biased).

Old 05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspr33 View Post
(A little threadjack here but how common is it that for DAP's to have volume balance between right and left channels?. I either have two really unbalanced sets of earphones, or I'm slightly deaf in my right ear..or most of the music I listen to is left channel biased).
Unfortunately, it is VERY uncommon. Only Cowon and rockboxed players seem to support pan/balance nowadays. I don't know what's wrong with all the other manufacturers, but pan/balance always has been the 2nd most important function on Hifi amps, right after volume... There's really no proper amp out there that doesn't have a pan/balance setting - so I really wonder why almost all DAP manufacturers ditched that feature. It's not rocket science (like gapless or similar stuff), it's just pan/balance. Oh, well...

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Now they fell apart while I was cleaning them gently with some cotton and rubbing alcohol.. oh brother. Guess they should be called LOLarone X3i.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Maybe alcohol is a solvent for the glue they use?

Old 05-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No, I don't think so... I clean all my IEMs with alcohol - the Mylars just disintegrate on their own, each one of the 5 pairs I have did it at some seam or another, usually when they're in my ears. They're just really pathetic build quality (but everything can be fixed easily).

Old 05-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Five pairs? Sounds like you have ran quite a few RMA's through Jaben in a short amount of time. I was told mine broke suspiciously fast, and I haven't even bothered to RMA my 2nd dud.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Last edited by Xenodius; 05-31-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Brand new member to this forum, but reading posts and blogs for just less than a year, after googling "best headphones under 100$" i found the mylarone x3i on this site and got them in jan, i was a bit cheesed off with the build quality as the were broken right out of the box, i emailed jaben the next weekend and they sent me a new one, no questions asked, they arrived from japan to ireland in 3 days, which was brill.
The sound quality was superb (much better than the shure ones i had a while ago) but they started fraying about a month after i got them, so i did a quick fix and used superglue and black tape (stupid thing to do) i came across this thread at the weekend and decided to do what dfkt showed us how to, i'm pretty handy with the solder so i thought it'd be easy, i was going to mark where the wires were connected but i ripped them away when i was taking it apart.
I didn't think anything of this till i soldered it back up and it didn't work, and now, since i love these headphones so, and am too skint to buy new ones, i decided to become a member and PLEAD for your help. (i used the old headphone cables for the reconnection)

Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM

Untitled.jpg
this is what i've undone, i've soldered it so many different ways!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM

0.0 Dang man! They have changed since mine!!! I only have 3 connections...

I would suggest getting a better cable for the connection-- the X3i's cable deteriorates *fast* over time and exposure to air. It gets quite crispy IME...

Anyway, it looks to me like you need to burn the insulation off the wires. If you have a butane lighter or butane soldering iron, just use the flame on that to carefully try and burn off the insulating paint on the wires.

Once you do that, plug it into your player & turn up the volume (not too high) and then hold the wires firmly on the contacts in different combinations to find the correct setup, then solder it to those. (With the back piece of the casing you pulled off on the wire, otherwise you wont be able to get it on.)

Make sure you solder the red cable on the right-hand earpiece. Red is red channel, and the blank one is ground.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Last edited by Xenodius; 06-17-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 AM

Do any of you have an any idea on how to attach these two together?

For the left cord(Black) its Red-Gold-Green(Left To Right)
For the right cord(White) its Gold-Red Green Stripes-Green-Red

I got the cord from my friends ipod. The buds are the stock cowon ones. I know, I know; They suck. I getting new ones soon. I'm giving these to my friend.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Another cable job...

Since the cable on my 1st-gen-Vibes became stiffer than a coat hanger and literally broke into pieces, I recabled them. Bought a pair of $4 earbuds from Dealextreme with colors matching the Vibes, they're as good as any other cable. The Vibes were a PITA to crack open, believe you me...
Wow, that's a really nice looking recabling job.
I would love to do that with my Vibes since I'm up to my 3rd broken Vibe already but I can't figure out how to crack it open. Any insights you can share?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, the photo I posted is a bit... deceptive. It doesn't show the mangled side of the Vibes. I took a triangular file to the Vibes, right between the black knurled part and the nozzle to give me some point of leverage to crack them open. The glue used in the Vibes is certainly a lot stonger than the one in the Mylarones.

This is the cable I used: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3376 - It's much better quality than the stock cable, and it's been holding up for months now. I've only been using the Vibes while sleeping, so they sure get a fair share of abuse, but they're holding up perfectly fine with that excellent cable from a $3 earbud.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 PM

My X3i cable started breaking. I'm thinking of repairing them with some heatshrink. Is it a good idea? I'm also a little worried about using a strong glue (epoxy or cyanoacrylate) if I need to redo the job (not being able to reopen them).

Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 AM

My X3i also was repaired once at right cable. why it's so bad quality over air. and i'm considering to buy another product from Crossroads.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Well, the photo I posted is a bit... deceptive. It doesn't show the mangled side of the Vibes. I took a triangular file to the Vibes, right between the black knurled part and the nozzle to give me some point of leverage to crack them open. The glue used in the Vibes is certainly a lot stonger than the one in the Mylarones.

This is the cable I used: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3376 - It's much better quality than the stock cable, and it's been holding up for months now. I've only been using the Vibes while sleeping, so they sure get a fair share of abuse, but they're holding up perfectly fine with that excellent cable from a $3 earbud.
Wow, thanks. I bought them solely from your recommendation and it's not as stiff as the 2nd (crappy) gen stiff Vibe cables.

After nearly two months, I've decided to give this a try on my 1st gen Vibes. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding a tool small enough that won't mangle the buds when I'm trying to pry them open. Any suggestions?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Oh this is crazy. Haha. I tried to recable my Skullycandy Ink'd because they were the ONLY phone I had at the moment. I stripped part of the cable, and thought.. "these things aren't worth the wire I'm using.. I was looking at some Mylars but I'm not one for cable repair or upkeep.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royel91 View Post
Problem is, I'm having trouble finding a tool small enough that won't mangle the buds when I'm trying to pry them open. Any suggestions?
I used a file like this (no, these dirty mitts aren't mine, the pic was stolen from some website ). Should be easy to come by and fairly inexpensive:

Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Martin I have a question is it possible to recable the Phonaks?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, should be fairly easy:

Tags
cable, crossroads, diy, earphone, headphone, iem, in-ear phone, mod, mylarone, soldering