android
Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
Creative also has a lot of unfixed bugs and the SD slot is essentially useless since it doesn't integrate with the library. Again, easily fixed with a firmware update
Sorry but I doubt that the problem can be fixed with a firmware update. More like a hardware change. This is the Sansa Clip we're talking about here. It doesn't have an SD slot, and I don't think one is coming with the 4GB version.

Steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Sorry but I doubt that the problem can be fixed with a firmware update. More like a hardware change. This is the Sansa Clip we're talking about here. It doesn't have an SD slot, and I don't think one is coming with the 4GB version.

Steve
Is it reasonable to just talk about the 4 gig Clip in isolation, or instead to compare it to what is available that is close enough in price? I am obviously interested in the Clip since I am posting here, however I am also interested in some other models of players. I might even buy a 4 gig Clip at some point, however I doubt that I would rush to buy one if its initial price is $80.

As for the SD card slot in the Creative Zen, its implementation is not ideal, however it is still much better to have it in its current state than to not have an SD card slot at all.

There is no perfect mp3 player.One can find imperfections in all mp3 players, especially those priced under $100. The important thing is to discuss what different players offer, then for each person to decide which mp3 player they find most appealing.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

JK98:

I agree with your recent post.

However Skinjob's post in a thread about the 4GB Clip implied (at least to me) that there was a problem with the SD reader in the Clip because which Creative model(s) have the problem was not specified. In fact the only model specified by name is the Clip.

JK98: you mention a problem with the SD in the Creative Zen. If skinjob had said that Creative's SD problem was with the Zen, I would have muttered "interesting" and not responded. As it was, I didn't want someone less knowledgable than me thinking that the Clip has a malfunctioning SD slot.

This thread is getting altogether too political.

Steve

Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 AM

This is getting confusing... what SD reader in the Clip? Did I miss something?

This thread is about the 4GB Clip, not about comparing it to the Zen or any other player. For such comparisons please refer to the "Compare" subforum. Or our comparison database.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM

I think you guys might need to read my post again

Quote:
Creative also has a lot of unfixed bugs and the SD slot is essentially useless since it doesn't integrate with the library. Again, easily fixed with a firmware update
I was commenting on the Creative Zen mentioned in an earlier post. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I agree this has gotten way off topic. Sorry if I added to that.

So back on topic - anyone know if the 4GB Clip is really going to be available tomorrow? Sandisk's site still says 2/15 but you'd think it would start showing up at a few other sites at least for preorder. As far as I can tell Amazon is the only site listing it and they have no ETA.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM

Bummer. Amazon is still pre-order with no ETA. Sandisk is still says pre-order despite listing a 2/15 release date.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM

I've already got a 2GB Clip and having two more GB would be nice but isn't a huge deal ... so I guess I'm not really jonesin' for the 4GB too much, but I have to say, I'm interested in seeing how it looks in silver. All the pictures makes it look like it should be owned by Superman or some other shiny super hero.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM

I e-mailed Sansa and asked them about the 4 GB clip and they responded SUPER FAST. Here's what they said.

"In response to your inquiry, please be advised that SANSA CLIP 4 GB
SILVER US STILL HAS NOT BEEN RECEIVED IN OUR WAREHOUSE. We do apologize
for the delay as the release date was 02/15/08. Please note that we are
at the mercy of the manufacturer. As soon as the item becomes available
for fulfillment we will send it out to you immediately in the event you
you place an order."

Old 02-18-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roony View Post
I e-mailed Sansa and asked them about the 4 GB clip and they responded SUPER FAST. Here's what they said.

"In response to your inquiry, please be advised that SANSA CLIP 4 GB
SILVER US STILL HAS NOT BEEN RECEIVED IN OUR WAREHOUSE.
Well, that's one warehouse, right?

I hope that Sandisk is appreciative of the fact that customers are going out of their way to contact them and ask about a product they're releasing. I mean, it's not like they're McDonald's and they can just assume customer loyalty without earning it.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:40 PM

Default My plan! :D

I figured it out! When the 4Gb Clip comes out, I'll go and buy a second 2Gb model. They may lower the price too, or I buy from an upgrader.
Then, I'll have two different music collection with me, and double the battery life!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:46 PM

When the 4GBs come out, you're gonna see a whole bunch of 2GB and 1GB Clips hit eBay ...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
When the 4GBs come out, you're gonna see a whole bunch of 2GB and 1GB Clips hit eBay ...
And the price for new ones will also drop, but I can't imagine how much. I got my 2gb for $34 & change just after black friday

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
Well, that's one warehouse, right?
I figured that meant they have 0 in stock so far in all of their warehouses. And you're right I'm glad they're answering customers! And if anyone wants to send me your old clip... lemme know .

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
And if anyone wants to send me your old clip... lemme know .
Yeah, good idea... I'll gladly make a nice home for a slightly used BLUE 2GB Clip. Golly, I'll even pay postage, and you can keep the earbuds.

Ain't that nice of me???

More seriously, I partake in forums in three different hobbies. One question that is consistent across the board deals with "WHEN will it be available?". Our current lifestyle (and yeah that sometimes includes me) doesn't seem to allow any patience. Oh well.

Steve

Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 AM

Default 4GB Clip won't be here until March

Quote:
"In response to your inquiry, please be advised that SANSA CLIP 4 GB SILVER US STILL HAS NOT BEEN RECEIVED IN OUR WAREHOUSE. We do apologize for the delay as the release date was 02/15/08. Please note that we are at the mercy of the manufacturer. As soon as the item becomes available for fulfillment we will send it out to you immediately in the event you you place an order."
Well, I just got this e-mail reply from San Disk answering my inquiry about my backordered 4GB Clip:
Dear Calif_Clipper,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your order
recently placed with Shopsansa.com.

We apologize for the delay in fulfilling your pre-order for Sansa Clip
4 GB Silver. This item is now on backorder pending its arrival from
the manufacturer. We anticipate the delivery of most backorder items
within 2-3 weeks. Your backorder item will be shipped out promptly upon
its arrival, and you will not be charged until it is shipped to you.

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you.

Sincerely,
Maria Fernandez
Go.ShopSansa.com
Customer Service
866-744-1444
csv@shopsansa.com
So I guess we have to wait now until March 3rd...or maybe even until March 10th. Oh, and my account was charged on February 3rd, the day I placed my order, so the "and you will not be charged until it is shipped to you" is bunk.

I can't say that I am very happy with SanDisk at the moment.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Oh, and my account was charged on February 3rd, the day I placed my order, so the "and you will not be charged until it is shipped to you" is bunk.

I can't say that I am very happy with SanDisk at the moment.
Unless, of course, you are accidentally charged a second time when it ships! *yikes* I was going to pre-order, but I think I will wait until it's available in a normal fashion.

Thanks for the info, Calif Clipper

Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't put too much blame on Sansa for the delay. Mid February is risky timing for any new product release...I'm guessing the delivery issue revolves around Chinese New Year (began Feb 7) and the production shut down that happens there every year. They don't enjoy many holidays in China and the New Year is their biggie, where workers go home for a couple weeks...home sometimes being a rural location hundreds of miles from the industrialized areas.

Hopefully there's a container ship full of 4GB Clips steaming it's way to a Southern California port right now!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 AM

Default 4GB Clip delay

The delay in delivery of the 4GB Clip may be due to the self-discharge issues seen with some 2GB models. I would hope that, with the apparent high number of 2GB samples that report this problem, that Sandisk has implemented appropriate screening of all newly manufactured units. I don't recall that Sandisk has officially acknowledged that there is a problem with certain 2GB Clips, but it would be prudent for them to insure that the 4GB model is problem free. It doesn't take much bad press to scare away potential buyers, especially with the number of choices available at this price point. I know that it is larger, but I just picked up a Toshiba T400 4GB for $79.99. I will still get a 4GB Clip when they are available 'cause it is relatively unmatched in "blind" usability & cuteness.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I doubt that is the reason. More likely, your basic manf. and delivery delays ...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 AM

And I guess all that snow in China made things a great deal worse.