android
Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Default 4GB Silver Clip

Due to be released 2/15/08. Aplogize if already posted.
http://go.shopsansa.com/Customers/sa...html/clip.html

duke

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, read about this earlier today. The 2-week period to return my 2 gb Clip expired a few days ago.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 AM

On the front page: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...silver-4gb.php

Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Ok, so who should have it first, Amazon or Best Buy? Amazon states 1-2 months for shipping, but would it possibly be sooner? anyone have first hand expeirience? Or will Best Buy actually have it in stock on the the 15th (supposed release date)?

Update 1.19.08:
Went to Best Buy and they said they may carry it but not necessarily right when it's released, had them call the next closest store, same story. Radio Shack is nearby and they have the 1 and 2 GB, said they didn't think they would carry it. Then tried to sell me a 2GB View. Circuit City (hate that place) dosen't carry any Clips and won't be any time soon. So I came home and ordered from Amazon. Waiting patiently..........

Last edited by HarryHood; 01-19-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: update

Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 PM

the silver 4gb sansa coming out febs gna b a classic all they gta add is a memory expansion . any suggestions ya would like to see add in future sansa clips?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM

Please ditch the "leet" text speak, it's really hard to follow what you're saying.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo View Post
the silver 4gb sansa coming out febs gna b a classic all they gta add is a memory expansion . any suggestions ya would like to see add in future sansa clips?

*WalkGood hands mingo an English dictionary*

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 AM

OK, I have to ask. What's "leet"? I mean, I know it's IM/cramped keyboard typing, but where does "leet" come from? (And why doesn't it have shortened versions of "expansion" and "suggestions" ;-)

Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 AM

Leet = 1337 = "elite"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHood View Post
Ok, so who should have it first, Amazon or Best Buy? Amazon states 1-2 months for shipping, but would it possibly be sooner? anyone have first hand expeirience? Or will Best Buy actually have it in stock on the the 15th (supposed release date)?
If history is any indication...

The 2gb clip was proposed for September 2007, but was only available starting October 15th, both online and in physical stores. It was weeks before reached anywhere else.

I love my 2gb Clip, but would upgrade in a heartbeat. My wife will probably get a belated and slightly used 2GB Valentine's present...

Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Banned

If Sandisk wants to steal a bit of the iPod Shuffle market they should arrange to have the silver Clips displayed right next to the shuffles in stores. $79 for a shuffle with 1gb, no screen, and only a shuffle play option. Or $80 for a Clip with 4gb, OLED screen, FM radio, sort by genre, etc.. These features should be spelled out in large print for all to see. To do a little better, make a few different colors that use the 4gb case design for those who shop for color rather than function.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
If Sandisk wants to steal a bit of the iPod Shuffle market they should arrange to have the silver Clips displayed right next to the shuffles in stores. $79 for a shuffle with 1gb, no screen, and only a shuffle play option. Or $80 for a Clip with 4gb, OLED screen, FM radio, sort by genre, etc.. These features should be spelled out in large print for all to see. To do a little better, make a few different colors that use the 4gb case design for those who shop for color rather than function.
And have the Clip come with a detailed yet pretty and cartoonish and colorful manual, telling computer novices how to load music onto it. And maybe a CDROM containing MediaMonkey.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If the 4 gig Clip comes out at $80, is it worth buying? Instead of comparing the Clip to players that offer the worst value, how about comparing it to other players that offer the best value? There are some dealers that sell the Cowon Iaudio U5 4 gig for under $100. The U5 probably puts out much more power than the Clip, has a 1.8" display, has longer battery life, and has sound quality that is probably at least as good as the Clip. If the price difference between the 4 gig Clip and the 4 gig U5 is under $20, does it pay to buy a 4 gig Clip?Of course the Clip 4 gig might soon be priced well below $80 at some of the discount retailers, but the price of the U5 might also drop from its current price. The U5 can also be purchased with 8 gigs of storage. The 8 gig version is around $120-130. Then there is the Creative Zen. While the Zen's sound quality might be a bit lower than a Clip, it has a 2.5" screen and an SD card slot. Some dealers sell a 4 gig zen for $90 or less. The Zen does have its limitations(most of which are firmware related, so they might be fixed with firmware updates), however at $90 or less for a 4 gig some might find it an attractive alternative instead of buying a 4 gig Clip. My personal feeling is that after the initial demand is satisfied, the 4 gig Clip might be selling for quite a bit less than $80, since there are other interesting mp3 players priced at under $100. It wouldn't surprise me if the 4 gig Clip drops to around $60-65 within a few months after its release, or if an 8 gig Clip is released before June. Of course the 4 gig Clip will sell well even at $80, since many stores don't sell Cowon Iaudio players, or else price the Creative Zen 4 gig at much higher than $90. I wonder if Creative will release a new 4 gig player in the next few months. Some people don't like the Zen and don't need a 2.5" screen.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
There are some dealers that sell the Cowon Iaudio U5 4 gig for under $100
Amazon is selling the U5 *8GB* for $110 right now (before S&H).

Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
If the 4 gig Clip comes out at $80, is it worth buying? Instead of comparing the Clip to players that offer the worst value, how about comparing it to other players that offer the best value? There are some dealers that sell the Cowon Iaudio U5 4 gig for under $100. The U5 probably puts out much more power than the Clip, has a 1.8" display, has longer battery life, and has sound quality that is probably at least as good as the Clip. If the price difference between the 4 gig Clip and the 4 gig U5 is under $20, does it pay to buy a 4 gig Clip?Of course the Clip 4 gig might soon be priced well below $80 at some of the discount retailers, but the price of the U5 might also drop from its current price. The U5 can also be purchased with 8 gigs or 16 gigs of storage. The 8 gig version is around $120-130. Then there is the Creative Zen. While the Zen's sound quality might be a bit lower than a Clip, it has a 2.5" screen and an SD card slot. Some dealers sell a 4 gig zen for $90 or less. The Zen does have its limitations(most of which are firmware related, so they might be fixed with firmware updates), however at $90 or less for a 4 gig some might find it an attractive alternative instead of buying a 4 gig Clip. My personal feeling is that after the initial demand is satisfied, the 4 gig Clip might be selling for quite a bit less than $80, since there are other interesting mp3 players priced at under $100. It wouldn't surprise me if the 4 gig Clip drops to around $60-65 within a few months after its release, or if an 8 gig Clip is released before June. Of course the 4 gig Clip will sell well even at $80, since many stores don't sell Cowon Iaudio players, or else price the Creative Zen 4 gig at much higher than $90. I wonder if Creative will release a new 4 gig player in the next few months. Some people don't like the Zen and don't need a 2.5" screen.
Is it really necessary to post your rants/musings/predictions about prices and price drops in almost every thread, in almost every subforum? Just buy some player already and be done with it... There will always be something cheaper/better/faster/smaller in the future. But that's not now, so deal with it.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 AM

I would say the main reasons to get the clip would be form factor and sound quality. If capacity is more of a concern than form factor, then sure, there are better values out there.

For me however, despite the quality of the hardware from both companies, Cowon and Creative both have firmware problems/limitations that are show stoppers for me. Cowon seems unable to produce stable firmware for any of their current players and unable/unwilling to fix serious problems (broken Ogg playback, etc.) or address major limitations (no playlists, etc.). Creative also has a lot of unfixed bugs and the SD slot is essentially useless since it doesn't integrate with the library. Again, easily fixed with a firmware update

Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Is it really necessary to post your rants/musings/predictions about prices and price drops in almost every thread, in almost every subforum? Just buy some player already and be done with it... There will always be something cheaper/better/faster/smaller in the future. But that's not now, so deal with it.
What is wrong with discussion? Besides which, I will not buy one player and be done with it. Perhaps I might end up buying at least 3 players before the end of the year. If I do buy 3 before the end of the year, it will be a matter of which to buy, when to buy them, and which to buy first. I guess you don't like the idea of discussing price and the price history and relative value of different players, however I find this fascinating, and would still find it fascinating even if I wasn't thinking about buying mp3 players. If the prices on the players I like drop enough, I might even buy some to give as gifts.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
I would say the main reasons to get the clip would be form factor and sound quality. If capacity is more of a concern than form factor, then sure, there are better values out there.

For me however, despite the quality of the hardware from both companies, Cowon and Creative both have firmware problems/limitations that are show stoppers for me. Cowon seems unable to produce stable firmware for any of their current players and unable/unwilling to fix serious problems (broken Ogg playback, etc.) or address major limitations (no playlists, etc.). Creative also has a lot of unfixed bugs and the SD slot is essentially useless since it doesn't integrate with the library. Again, easily fixed with a firmware update
Well, the difference is that the Clip has none of the features the Cowon D2 has (like Vorbis playback), among other things... The features the Cowon and the Sandisk have in common (MP3 playback and radio) work fine on both players.

Sure, that is no excuse for the crappy firmwares in general - what's the use of having these features when they don't work well? I just feel the comparison of the two isn't really that valid, they're in totally different classes.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
What is wrong with discussion? [...] I guess you don't like the idea of discussing price and the price history and relative value of different players, however I find this fascinating, [...]
That's the problem - you don't contribute anything to the discussions with these kinds of posts. They're lengthy monologues/musings (without paragraphs, which makes it even more tiring to read) about how you feel about the prices of certain products. Everybody knows prices will drop eventually on every player - there's nothing new there. But the fact that you go on ranting about it doesn't help anybody, and won't make the prices drop any faster.

Please try to accept the current market prices of the players as they are, or look for used ones on eBay, or something.

OK, back on topic everyone...

Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That's the problem - you don't contribute anything to the discussions with these kinds of posts. They're tiring monologues/musings (without paragraphs, which makes it even more tiring to read) about how you feel about the prices of certain products. Everybody knows prices will drop eventually on every player - there's nothing new there. But the fact that you go on ranting about it doesn't help anybody, and won't make the prices drop any faster.
While prices will eventually be lower, some people might perhaps be thinking about buying a new player now, or perhaps buying one before the end of June. It is interesting to speculate about what will happen to flash memory prices and player prices over the next 3 or 4 months. Perhaps you might not feel this way, but there are others who do feel this way. Of course once someone gets caught in the trap of waiting, they might keep waiting a long time. There are many people who have at least one working mp3 player, so they might not be in a big rush to buy a new one, but instead might have buying a new mp3 player as a longer term goal.