android
Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 AM

Default Rockbox on e260r

Will someone tell me if I can install rockbox on my e260r?

If so post the link please!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you can install Rockbox: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...0RInstallation

Welcome to ABi>>, bduffy4j.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Rockbox

what is the e200patcher.exe?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That is if you have a normal e200.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 PM

Default Umm

It tells me to run the e200patcher.exe though in the steps?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It says to use the e200rpatcher.exe, not the e200patcher. There is a difference.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 PM

oh, cummon help him out, you could have said that in your last post!

if you look at step one it tells you were to download it, it's the program to patch your sansa with the bootloader.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by pienose View Post
oh, cummon help him out, you could have said that in your last post!
Its not his job to predict people's problems, and comments like that are just stupid

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Ty

Thanx for all your help

Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Man

When I go into manufaturer mode. I plug it in and the driver thing dosent come up?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check in the Device Manager. Plus what OS are you using?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Check and make sure it's actually in manfacturer mode - basically, thats a blank screen with the scroll wheel lit up. It should show up in Device Manager as unrecoginized (I assume you are using XP?). You need to extract the "e200-manufac-driver.zip file" to a local temp folder, mentioned in the Rockbox instructions, and install this as your driver.

Just make sure you follow the instructions at the Rockbox site for the R series, to the letter. I have an E280R, and Rockbox definitely works on it. There are different instructions for the non-R and R versions, so you don't want to use the wrong one. Another thing to keep in mind is that the original firmware .bin file needs to exist in the SYSTEM folder. I'm pretty sure that it has to be there permanently, which the instructions don't really mention. So, if you ever get Rockbox working, and down the road you reformat your Sansa drive, make sure you put that OF.bin file back into your SYSTEM folder before you restart your Sansa, or else you won't be able to get back into the OF.

UPDATE: It's the OF.mi4 file in the SYSTEM folder, not the OF.bin. Sorry about that.

Last edited by roebeet; 01-12-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: incorrect information

Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that the original firmware .bin file needs to exist in the SYSTEM folder. I'm pretty sure that it has to be there permanently, which the instructions don't really mention. So, if you ever get Rockbox working, and down the road you reformat your Sansa drive, make sure you put that OF.bin file back into your SYSTEM folder before you restart your Sansa, or else you won't be able to get back into the OF.
Untrue. OF.bin isn't even searched for unless the firmware partition gets messed up, and if the firmware partition did for some reason break, I can't really imagine Rockbox even booting..

Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
Untrue. OF.bin isn't even searched for unless the firmware partition gets messed up, and if the firmware partition did for some reason break, I can't really imagine Rockbox even booting..
When my 280R boots up to the OF, it loads the OF.mi4 in the SYSTEM folder. (My bad, I was confusing the OF.bin with the OF.mi4). But my point was that it looks like this file (OF.mi4) is required to exist, to boot up to the OF on the R series. I've never tried to remove it to test, as I'm not that brave. I mentioned it because someone could easily reformat their R drive and then forget about adding that file back.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM

I have an e260R version 1 (the original helix DRM version, the new ones are version 2) and I have Rockbox installed. I just wanted to mention a couple of things that anyone with a Rhapsody Sansa e200 series should know before they install Rockbox.

First, putting Rockbox on a Rhapsody unit is not for the inexperienced. If you do not know your way around a file system and have some basic knowledge about programming then you run a high risk of screwing up your Rhapsody Sansa. I can't stress this enough. Don't go crazy just clicking stuff to get Rockbox set up because when you brick it ... well, you'll probably have to go to school to learn how to recover. You might as well buy a new unit. You've been warned.

Second, after Rockbox is on your Rhapsody Sansa DO NOT FORMAT to clean old songs off your unit. Instead, use your file manager to clean out the /music folder. The reason for this is because the files that run Rockbox and Rhapsody are all fully exposed in unprotected directories after Rockbox is installed. Formatting will erase them all except your boot loader and then you'll have to rebuild. Not for the faint of heart.

Third, keep backup copies of all your setup files and the current instructions for installing Rockbox. Sansa is changing their hardware and things might be different the next time you have to recover.

Rockbox is fast, efficient and it plays OGG, too. I really like it and I hope you do, too. Good luck on your setup.