android
Old 01-08-2008, 01:33 AM

Default A recent battery life observation

Hi,

Have there been any changes to rockbox recently which could have increased the battery life on the Sansa E200? Has anybody else noticed a large increase in battery life?

I've been playing around with LossyFLAC and I've also been reading about the battery issues that the Sansa View seems to have.

Bearing the above in mind, I've recently tested an album encoded in LossyFLAC (approx average 380Kbps), I've kept all the default settings except bass which is up to 7db and I've turned down the LCD brightness to 1. I've also used my own text based WPS. My findings – FLAC is now giving me 16-17Hrs. OGG & MP3 used to be around 11.5/12.5Hrs. I've done 2 battery benchmark tests but both times the file has been corrupt (I think its because I've only got 1.89Mb space left).

I will do more testing and try and get some decent battery benchmark files comparing MP3/OG & FLAC but has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 AM

did you test mp3 with the same brightness setting, the same wps and the same release?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

There has not been any battery life increases as far as I know. If you want more detail, you can look on www.rockbox.org.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

flac is going to use very little CPU power verses mp3 or ogg, so you will get extra battery life, though your mp3 numbers seem a bit low.

We'll probably commit some extra power saving features when FS8379 is done. They'll be the first for the Sansa since frequency scaling and mp3/wma optimizations over the summer.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM

OK, I've freed up some space and now performing the same test using mp3. I'll be back again when its done.

saratoga - I've just had a look at FS8379, it sounds promising. If I get the time I will try the patch and give some feedback.

Edit1: OK, I'm giving up on the battery tests for the time being. The 3rd test (MP3) after freeing up same space didn't work either. The test did run for over 12Hrs with MP3 but I don't know when it finished. For the 3rd time there was no data other than the description info in my saved battery bench file. Its starting to look like a newly introduced bug to me. I will compile my own version and include the battery bench patch for the sansa but I haven't had to do this before to get a decent stats file.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM

saratoga:
Quote:
flac is going to use very little CPU power verses mp3 or ogg, so you will get extra battery life, though your mp3 numbers seem a bit low.
I don't know about that, I thought his mp3/ogg numbers sounded about right, thats what I got before enabling crossfeed and the eq, which gives me about 8 1/2 hours(under normal use, w/o the plugins obviously)

mp3 gave me about 12 1/2 hours before I used the eq and crossfeed-of course in real use I would get about 11 1/4 hours

Quote:
We'll probably commit some extra power saving features when FS8379 is done. They'll be the first for the Sansa since frequency scaling and mp3/wma optimizations over the summer.
Sounds great

Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The battery bench numbers say 16 hours, so unless someone faked the test I think its probably ~ 16 hours for MP3/Vorbis.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Good news

OK, on my last update I posted that I was having problems with the battery_bench plugin. I decided to patch it myself and whilst I was at it I decided to install patch 0.7 on FS8379 as mentioned by saratoga.

I've run the test again using LossyFLAC files and got a really impressive 21:27:51 and this time I've got the battery_bench.txt file to prove it. See part of the file attached.

Edit: I have now performed the same test as above using MP3 192kbps VBR and runtime was 17:05:01. A huge improvement on what I was getting, but still a big difference between loosyFLAC & MP3
Attached Files
File Type: txt battery_bench2.txt (117.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by slawson; 01-13-2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Add MP3 test info

Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Sorry to bump such an old post, but I would be interested to see how much battery life may have improved by when using FLAC'ed output of lossyWAV 1.0.1f (available from the hydrogenaudio site).

My 10 album test set comes in at 275kbps (lossyWAV -q 0 / FLAC -5 -b 512) with this version.