ABI Founder

Default Clix Review Discussion

iRiver Clix Review

Quesions, comments?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM

So, I'm confused about transfer again.

From the review:

"The Clix transfers media though MTP which means you will need a minimum of Windows XP SP1 and WMP10 or 11. You can also open up the device under “My Computer” and drop files into the music folder, keeping your music organized in folders how you want them. However, if you choose this method, album art will not work."

Does that mean that if you have XP (and WMP10?) you can use drag and drop? Or does it mean you can bypass XP and WMP if you use drag and drop?

Old 05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
ABI Founder

You still need Windows XP, but you can drag and drop to the music folder and the files will play. However, album art will not work. Additionally, you mix the d&d and WMP because all of the tag information will get corrupted.

I aslo updated the review to clarify:

Quote:
The Clix transfers media though MTP which means you will need a minimum of Windows XP SP1. You can either use Window Media Player 10/11 to transfer files or you can also drag and drop files to the Clix music folder. But again, that this is not UMS drag and drop. Windows XP is still needed and album art is not compatible with the MTP drag and drop method.

Last edited by EnzoTen; 05-23-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Two quick questions:

1) How awkward/impractical would it be to operate the interface with one hand?

2) It seems like the Clix would be a little too vulnerable to accidental clicks if the lock button weren't engaged... Is the lock button pretty much a necessity if you put it in a front pants pocket?

Old 05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydini
Two quick questions:

1) How awkward/impractical would it be to operate the interface with one hand?

2) It seems like the Clix would be a little too vulnerable to accidental clicks if the lock button weren't engaged... Is the lock button pretty much a necessity if you put it in a front pants pocket?
If you flip it to vertical mode it works great in one hand. The nice thing about it is that the menus are not comprimised in vertical orientation, it all will adjust.

If you are going to stick it in your pocket, you need to have the hold swtich on. Also to mention that the hold switch locks the buttons so they will not respond or depress/click.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:47 PM

EnzoTen: To clarify, it has a vertical mode, so the menus/ui rotate 90 degrees? I didn't watch all of the UI video

Wow, that's cool. Shame about the MTP =( Here's to hoping for a firmware update for good UMS support. 4gb wouldn't hurt either. I'd be sold with those two things with the screen this sexy little thing has on it.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-17
EnzoTen: To clarify, it has a vertical mode, so the menus/ui rotate 90 degrees? I didn't watch all of the UI video
Correct, it is in the video at about 6:10.

Quote:
Wow, that's cool. Shame about the MTP =( Here's to hoping for a firmware update for good UMS support. 4gb wouldn't hurt either. I'd be sold with those two things with the screen this sexy little thing has on it.
The U10 had the ability to upgrade to UMS by loading the korean firmware. This may be the same... havent tried it yet.

Bigger flash capacities would be great on this. I would even like to see a full on 1.8" 30/60GB HDD.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 PM

The UI seems quite smooth and responsive, including video playback. The UI rotation for horizontal/vertical modes is definitely quite sweet.

One tidbit I did think about was the fact that the 4 main navigational/compass point controls are, by virtue of being on sides of the screen, fairly spaced apart. This can make some intensive navigation potentially slower than it could be or more tiresome, while at the same time perhaps making it easier and less likely to overshoot menus compared to using some tiny joysticks.

I suppose for a small device that can fit into one hand nicely (vertically) using your thumb (right hand) for the East and South controls, index finger for North, and middle finger for West, could be quite comfortable. Would you say that is the case?

Now if only firmware comes out for UMS in the next couple weeks...and an announcement of a larger capacity version also, I'll return my Z5

This device looks like a prime candidate for investing in a cheap invisibleshield/bestskinsever type covering at purchase with the plastic and screen.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 PM

EnzoTen,

How fast does it scroll through long lists?

Is it pocket-friendly?

Can you tune to an FM station manually, or do you have to use the autoscan?

Old 05-24-2006, 03:27 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoz
EnzoTen,

How fast does it scroll through long lists?

Is it pocket-friendly?

Can you tune to an FM station manually, or do you have to use the autoscan?
  1. It scrolls at a good speed for long lists of songs when holding the button down. However, when you take you finger off the button it doesnt stop immediatly, it goes on about three more songs. This could be fixed in the firmware if iRiver is made aware of it and enough people complain.
  2. It is pocket-friendly, but only if you use the hold switch
  3. yes you can tune manually

Last edited by EnzoTen; 05-24-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:55 PM

i have a few questions about the u10 1gb (don't hate i'm not as rich as you guys ):

-what are the differences between the u10 and the clix (besides memory)?
-can i set my own wallpaper?
-is there album art?
-is the battery replaceable?
-about how many ~700mb avi movies can i fit on the u10 1gb?

ot-has anyone delt with geeks.com internationally (Canada)?

i know i ask alot of trivial questions but, thanks guys

Last edited by poo_head; 05-24-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:54 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by poo_head
i have a few questions about the u10 1gb (don't hate i'm not as rich as you guys ):

-what are the differences between the u10 and the clix (besides memory)?
-can i set my own wallpaper?
-is there album art?
-is the battery replaceable?
-about how many ~700mb avi movies can i fit on the u10 1gb?

ot-has anyone delt with geeks.com internationally (Canada)?

i know i ask alot of trivial questions but, thanks guys
  • Much faster, easier, and smoother interface- faster processor- more features
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • 1 maybe two depending on how long the video is.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:54 PM

I wonder why Slydini wants to use a portable video player with one hand.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM

Thank you EnzoTen!

I am going to purchase this player based on your answers and excellent review! I may keep it or give it to someone as a gift.

for anyone interested in purchasing this player use this link to save $30 for a limited time!

http://www.iriveramerica.com/yahoo06

Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM

One more question, does the SIMA USB-AC adapter you recommended a few weeks ago work with the Clix?

Last edited by locoz; 05-25-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:44 AM

locoz, don't you already have an E200? (Did you return it, and if so...why?)

Old 05-26-2006, 03:12 PM

I still have the e200, I will give it as gift if I decide to keep the Clix.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoz
One more question, does the SIMA USB-AC adapter you recommended a few weeks ago work with the Clix?
yes it does... but pretty much any USB charger will work as well

Old 05-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Default few questions...

Hi. I was just few clicks away from purchasing Clix with the -$30 coupon just now but decided to ask few questions before I buy it.

-Will flash games from other sites such as ebaumsworld.com work?
-How many flash games can I have stored total?
-Is there a setting that I can change the menu language to Korean?
-If my mp3/files are named in korean characters, will it show up as gibberish or in korean characters?
-If I'm purchasing this mainly because it has flash game function, should I buy something like PSP instead?

I'm a field technician and take subway to work and was thinking this would be great time killer while on the way to sites. The text/jpg fuction would help me with directions to the locations and now I won't have to print out every night. To be honest, I would never buy these things nor mp3 player but I've recently lost one and thought this has some features that I need and like. I got very interested, especially on the flash game which would be awesome if I'm not in the mood for music and video. Even though it's not such a big deal, I would really love it, if it supports korean characters on the machine. I had more questions but I forgot since I had so many to ask ~_~. I'll ask more later.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:36 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullmind
-Will flash games from other sites such as ebaumsworld.com work?
-How many flash games can I have stored total?
-Is there a setting that I can change the menu language to Korean?
-If my mp3/files are named in korean characters, will it show up as gibberish or in korean characters?
-If I'm purchasing this mainly because it has flash game function, should I buy something like PSP instead?
  • No, the player uses "Flash Lite". Although i have put a few regulart flash videos to work, very few.
  • The amount of games available will not fill more than a few megs.
  • Dont know for sure but the language is changable to Korean and the characters are there. but i dont know as far as reading ID3 tags with korean characters
  • yes