android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 12-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Are there speakers that are much better than mine?

I have Logitech X-230 and A.L. vs4121. Are there any speakers in that price ranges(50-150 even) that have much better bass or cord length? Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM

best bass ive heard in pc speakers in that range come from altec's fx4021 set with an dual woofer sub.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
best bass ive heard in pc speakers in that range come from altec's fx4021 set with an dual woofer sub.

those are great speakers! A good choice

Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM

Klipsch Promedia 2.1...can be had for under $100 on ebay. The woofer puts out alot of bass...I have the bass control only up to about 20% and they will go quite loud.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM

The best "computer speakers" I have ever heard (excluding some rather big near field monitors) is hands-down these:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=38

Although, they're just "a tad" above 150US$ …

Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 PM

B&O is the European version of Bose. Huge hype, far better products available for far less money.

As far as bass response, the Logitech Z-4 has a very good bass module and decent satelites for around $100.

I have them on my main puter and the X-230 on the Admirals rig. No comparison in the sound quality. The Z-4 is smooth and seems to be pretty accurate with bass that can be cranked to window shaking levels.

The input cable is a standard 1/8" stereo cable and headphone extensions can stretch it as far as you need. (Within reason of course)

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnusa View Post
Klipsch Promedia 2.1...can be had for under $100 on ebay. The woofer puts out alot of bass...I have the bass control only up to about 20% and they will go quite loud.
I have the Promedia GMX 2.1 in my bedroom, they're really nice speakers for the price. The bass is controlled, not boomy, the treble is precise (although a bit sibilant), and the mids are "ok" (which is not bad, compared to other tiny 2.1 mid/treble units).

Old 04-16-2008, 06:30 AM

I have the Logitech Z-2300's and I highly recomend them. The reason for this is that they are under 100, they are THX certified, have a 120 Watt Sub with produces a large amount of bass and also have a nice small volume and bass control unit.

But be warned, the sub is extreamly large, so make sure you have the room.

Desi

Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstream15 View Post
B&O is the European version of Bose. Huge hype, far better products available for far less money.
Sounds like you haven't heard the Beolab 3 (and the sub 2), Beolab 9 and especially Beolab 5 – the latter being the best speakers I've ever heard with - by far - the best resolution. It's funny, though, that you speak of "hype" and call them the "european bose" when most people on the interweb are slamming B&O, but very few have heard them. Yes, they have a nice design, but the Beolab 5s look like they do because of the engineering, the Beolab 9's were limited engineering wise, because they knew not all would like the huge speakers the 5s are.
There's a reason everyone else has begun licensing ICE from B&O, and there's a reason that treble-thing look like it does. It's sound engineering (no pun intended), not hype. Besides, you get an amplifier included in the price.

Nevertheless, the way I see it, is that if you want the most bang for the buck, you better spend as much as you can on the speakers – screw the CD-player, screw the amplifier (well, just buy a decent one), and spend the very most on the speakers. If you don't have good speakers, it's akin to using the iPod headphones for playback on your stereo. It will never be any good.

Quote:
As far as bass response, the Logitech Z-4 has a very good bass module and decent satelites for around $100.
Funny! You think B&O is all hype, yet you use those!? LOL.

Speaking of which, I use the AVI Neutron IV with the amp-packs as my "computer speakers". I think I paid 1500 for them. Besides headphones, those are my reference-setup. And yes, they're used for work, so the tax man paid half of it.

All of this brings me back on topic: I don't know what the thread starter means by "better bass", frankly. Do you mean higher decibels, less muddy/more precision, more resolution, or lower frequencies? Or all of those?

Anyway, if at all possible, I would spend the money you have on a sub alone, if all you want improved is the bass. Or even buy some larger "main" speakers as that might help with the upper bass, depending on where the sub cuts in.

EDIT: Cordwise, why not just buy or make an extention – still keeping it as short as possible?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 AM

Yes I use the Z4, especially since I found them on sale at Office Max for $40.

And I use JBL L5s for my main system. These are in my office on my computer and are not intended to bring down the house. That's what the system in the living room is for. And what little critical listening I may want to do on the computer, not much I guarantee, is done with Senn HD600 phones and a Headroom Little Premium amp.

And B&O has always been and will always be about "Style", not sound. Just like Bose and BTW Harley Davidson. Although HD is "Style & Sound" just not true performance.

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstream15 View Post
Yes I use the Z4, especially since I found them on sale at Office Max for $40.

And I use JBL L5s for my main system. These are in my office on my computer and are not intended to bring down the house. That's what the system in the living room is for. And what little critical listening I may want to do on the computer, not much I guarantee, is done with Senn HD600 phones and a Headroom Little Premium amp.
My point is, that if you think what you have is "good sound", you're frankly not in a position to rule out B&O because "they don't perform" and it's "style over substance". It's quite simple. And it's obvious you haven't heard any of the three speakers I'm talking about, but merely echo others who haven't heard them either.

[add: I'm not talking about bringing the house down. Just because one has a Lotus elise, a bugatti Veyron (two very different things, I know), it doesn't mean you have to floor it or drive it to it's limit. I never drive anything audio wise to it's limits, why would I? If it's necessary to do so, you want even bigger and better so you can stay the helle away from limits.
I'm talking about precision, resolution and so forth. But I guess you knew that. When I want even more precision than my speaker monitors can produce I use my HD25-1s monitor headphones, depending what I want, of course. I also use ER-4s and RS1s. And although the latter isn't used for monitoring or precision, I still like them.]

Quote:
And B&O has always been and will always be about "Style", not sound. Just like Bose and BTW Harley Davidson. Although HD is "Style & Sound" just not true performance.
You are not in a position to judge that. The design team on the beolab 5s only had a say in finishes, not the form or function. It's a speaker, where nothing stood in the way of good sound, but where good sound dictated the form. Oh, yes, either you like the look or not (in your case), but since you haven't heard them, you are the one saying it's all style.

On the 9s (the penguins), they made some concessions: They wanted smaller, and the design team had a little more say in the matter. But then again, the 9s are the propably around the biggest I would want in a speaker (Or I would have to buy a new home). But again, you haven't heard them.

The small beolab 3s are propaby the best small-volume speakers you can buy. Yes, you can get better speakers, but I challenge you to find anyone that is better in this size.

These new speakers, the 5s, 9s, and 3s are not those pipe speakers, which, dollar for dollar, couldn't hold their own. But these three "new" ones, certainly do.

Now, would I ever buy one of their home theaters and whatnot? Nope. Not a chance.
It seems I need to mention it again: You're acting as an echo chamber, spewing hearsay, yet you have no idea how they sound, nor are you in position to actually compare, given your own reference. But good luck with your endeavor.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:36 AM

sound quality at the 50-125 price point is all various degrees of bad.

good speakers have a decent size midrange/tweeter and good size subwoofer.

the klipsch ifi's were pretty awesome in this aspect, but sadly they were mostly for ipods and they are discontinued. anyways, one can piece together such a system.