android
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 PM

Thumbs up About the playlist creator 0.6.1

Hi, this is the first time I use a playlist creator and it was great. It works very good, it's simple and very fast. The better thing is that you can order the music like when you burn a mixed CD, very easy. I've been using my Sansa for about 2 months and I was looking for a software just like this one, now I got it.

I think this software can be better if we can select two or more songs at the same time and move them up or down, instead of doing it one bye one (for example in a playlist of 50 songs).

Thank you very much for the software!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Although making the drag and drop from the same list feature may seem easy to do, it requires tons of code/rewriting some parts of Microsofts code (which I dont have time to do right now). It may happen in the future if I get some spare time.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:46 PM

Yes, of course is something difficult to do and it requires time and patience.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:58 AM

nice app. I used it to quickly create playlists from the files that were already on my player (wasn't sure if that's possible with wmp) - and it worked nicely. This means you've got a good app there. The UI side is a bit bare and could use a hintbox or text here or there, but the app works pretty much the way you think it will so it's not a problem.

One feature which might make this a killer app is being able to sort the files based on nothing but randomness. That's a shuffled playlist for most of us. Granted, it'd be the same each time, but at least the same track wouldn't play over and over again. And you could always load up the existing playlist and shuffle it again...

Not sure how the app is supposed to be used but I found it to be perfect for making playlists out of files that were already on the player and to that end it would make sense that if the player is connected then the add file dialog should open up at the location where the music files are. (saves some hassle)

Old 09-30-2006, 05:15 PM

Does the Sansa not shuffle if you enable it? I don't use the feature at all, but I can look into implementing it.
The next version will copy files, regarless of where they are, either to the SD card or the player itself. Usually the open dialog saves the last location, so the next time you run it, it should start at the directory where you last added songs from.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Does the Sansa not shuffle if you enable it? I don't use the feature at all, but I can look into implementing it.
it's listed as shuffle, but in reality it's more like a "random". Meaning that if you have a short playlist, it can play the same track multiple times consecutively (sp?). Which is why pre-shuffled playlist would come in handy (and it should be fairly easy thing to implement) as then you could disable the shuffle and let it play the tracks the normal way.

Quote:
The next version will copy files, regarless of where they are
Are you saying that I couldn't use the next version to make playlists of files that are already on the player without making duplicates of the files?

Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 PM

No, it would copy files from other drives so you don't have to copy them yourself. This was requested by a number of people who PM'ed me.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adscorp
hmm.. this is like the third playlist maker ive seen on these forums, yet still no mac version.. i might make one..
I like this program it works great. I am having a problem making playlist to the Micro SD card, does this program support doing that and if so how can I do it? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:30 PM

^^ It does not currently. The next version will (I don't have time to work on it till midweek however)

Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 PM

Ok thanks.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adscorp
hmm.. this is like the third playlist maker ive seen on these forums, yet still no mac version.. i might make one..
Please do! I'll give it a try.

There is something called SyncTunes that will export an iTunes playlist to the Sansa and delete the Apple Double (the ._* ) files but it creates an ST-(name).m3u playlist (ST = SyncTunes, name = name of the playlist from iTunes). SyncTunes doesn't put the ST-(name).m3u playlist in the Sansa/PLAYLISTS folder, either.

I never did figure out how to convert the .m3u to .plp format but I think someone posted a linux-compatible awk script. He said that it would need to be tweaked for Mac paths or directory structure or something like that.

If you can fix that and make one simple program out of it (SyncTunes + m3u-2-plp conversion), it would be great. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM

Theoretically you can run this program with pre 0.4 versions on Mono, as it was using standard components back then.
I will see if it runs this weekend, when I have access to a Mac, but if it involves alot of work I probably wont bother with it.
If Sandisk is hiring on the other hand, I could finish an OSX/Windows/Linux GTK version quite quickly

Old 10-03-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Device letter of Sansa

Thanks so much for continuing to improve your tool. It is really great.

Another small feature request. I intalled the tool on my Sansa so that I have the utility where ever I need it. However, running the tool from the Sansa the first time after each connection to the Sansa causes the tool to default back to the C drive.

Instead of defaulting to the C drive, could the tool instead default to the drive from where the .exe program is being run?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:45 PM

^^ It should save the location of the drive you selected when you close the program. Is there a file named conf in the same directory? You might have to create a seperate folder for the program and put it in there if its a path name bug.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 AM

can one edit existing playlists made using this program?

if so, do you open them directly from the player once the program has saved them in the root directory? or copy them onto the laptop/desktop first?

thanks for the awesome program

Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56
^^ It should save the location of the drive you selected when you close the program. Is there a file named conf in the same directory? You might have to create a seperate folder for the program and put it in there if its a path name bug.
I tried installing and running the 6.0-stable and 6.1-stable installers and programs to install on to my C drive and I could not see a CONF file installed in the directory or created by closing.

I actually am not getting the SANSA's device name remembered across any sessions.

I created a CONF text file into the directory and put the string H:\ and sure enough it now works preloading the field. However, if I change the device name and close the program (using File Exit), the file is not updated.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_i_bus
can one edit existing playlists made using this program?

if so, do you open them directly from the player once the program has saved them in the root directory? or copy them onto the laptop/desktop first?

thanks for the awesome program
Yes, you can via file->open. It will display a list there, all you have to do is set the proper drive for the Sansa.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlegan
I tried installing and running the 6.0-stable and 6.1-stable installers and programs to install on to my C drive and I could not see a CONF file installed in the directory or created by closing.

I actually am not getting the SANSA's device name remembered across any sessions.

I created a CONF text file into the directory and put the string H:\ and sure enough it now works preloading the field. However, if I change the device name and close the program (using File Exit), the file is not updated.
Does anybody else have this problem?

The only thing I can think of that would cause it is creating a shortcut with a different "start in" directory, which would save the file to wherever you specify there. It could also be a permissions issue.
Have you tried putting it in a folder on the Sansa?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:10 AM

I am running from the directory created by the installer both on my Sansa (H:/PLPList) and my c drive (C:\Program Files\PLPList). I'm seeing the same behavior in both cases. I'm running on a XP-pro system from an administrator account. It's the same ID I used to run the installer and only ID I ever use.

It will be interesting to hear if others are seeing the same behavior.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:17 PM

New version out, 0.7.