android
Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM

Default "Real" MSC mode in firmware 1.01.18

Finally, real MSC mode on the Clip with v1.01.18!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 PM

i wouldn't call it real without being able to see ALL files like MTP

Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 PM

That didn't make sense- MSC mode is MSC mode.. I don't understand what you mean by that.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 PM

1.01.18 has a setting in the options to force MSC mode (even on XP or Vista) - no more need for the hold/center-button trick.

I don't care if MTP-transferred files are visible in MSC mode, since I don't use MTP anyways. YMMV.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 PM

I'm lovin' it.. I wonder how Sandisk got away with this- I thought "Playsforsure" devices had to be MSC or something like that.. Whatever the case, it was a good move.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 AM

Plays For Sure devices need to default to MTP, I think. I doubt there's any issue with giving the user the option to switch to MSC, whether via physical button control or firmware, as firmware updating is usually (always?) done in MSC.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
That didn't make sense- MSC mode is MSC mode.. I don't understand what you mean by that.
viewing files that were transfered in MTP mode in MSC mode, so i can mp3gain them.

this wouldnt be a problem if refreshing a 2gb database of MSC files didn't take a boatload longer than MTP. plugging it in while freshing causes problems too.

perhaps it is better with this release.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Why don't you just format, and then re-transfer them over in MSC mode? It could take maybe 10 minutes total.. No need to have both MSC AND MTP files on one device..

Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
Why don't you just format, and then re-transfer them over in MSC mode? It could take maybe 10 minutes total.. No need to have both MSC AND MTP files on one device..
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz86 View Post
this wouldnt be a problem if refreshing a 2gb database of MSC files didn't take a boatload longer than MTP. plugging it in while freshing causes problems too.
i like how fast it refreshes in MTP, battery life indicator in MTP, transfer speed in MTP(yes it is significantly faster transfering as well as refreshing), removing without having windows unmount it first (the "safely remove" thing. freezes if i don't do it, mtp doesnt need it), but i guess i can't get the best of both worlds... unless they finally lower the minimum volume.

edit: realized they put the rewind feature of going to the previous song's end when holding down rewind.. awesome! they listened to me!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM

MSC DB doesn't refresh anymore in 1.01.18 when you only charge the player over USB (not transferring files). Good news.