android
Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Samsung Moderator

It would be interesting to look at the source and have an entire thread devoted to simply doing that.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Default BARAK vs. mediacoder

I understand that these two programs are frontends for the same background programing. However, I was wondering if there is any major benifit of one over the other.

I see that there are more conversion options in mediacoder. Would that be a benifit if I am simply using the presets from this forum? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Samsung Moderator

They are both frontends for MEncoder, yes. I like MediaCoder because of the way it works, and I recommend it now for video newbies because forum member quickvid was kind enough to write an extension that makes converting for the P2 essentially impossible to screw up. BADAK works, but even with the preset, it's somewhat confusing and it has less control than MediaCoder + P2 extension.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Where do I find/download the P2 extension for MediaCoder from? Also, does "P2" refer to the Samsung YP-P2 Video/Mp3 player? I used Badek to convert an .avi file to a "P2" supported file, then changed the extension to .svi, then tried to drag and drop it into my Samsung YP-P2 media>video folder via Windows Explorer, and got the message, "Unsupported File Type" etc. So I'm going to give MediaCoder a shot.

I use Firefox and not IE, so I can't use the SMS program.

Also, does anyone know a way I can transfer files directly from DVDFab Platinum to my Samsung YP-P2 player?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macheteman View Post
Where do I find/download the P2 extension for MediaCoder from? Also, does "P2" refer to the Samsung YP-P2 Video/Mp3 player? I used Badek to convert an .avi file to a "P2" supported file, then changed the extension to .svi, then tried to drag and drop it into my Samsung YP-P2 media>video folder via Windows Explorer, and got the message, "Unsupported File Type" etc. So I'm going to give MediaCoder a shot.

Also, does anyone know a way I can transfer files directly from DVDFab Platinum to my Samsung YP-P2 player?

Thanks.
If you get the current build of MediaCoder (0.6.1) and open the program. There is a button that says "Extensions" in the window it generates, you will see the Samsung P2 as an option.

Yes. The P2 is the Samsung YP-P2, but that's just too much work to type every time.

No way to transfer directly. You have to find a solution for encoding DVD files to .avi. Try Gordian Knot.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
For the DVD transfer part, you can look at the first pages of this thread and I posted a tutorial of on to transfer DVD to the P2 using DVD-WMV

Hope this helps and ifyou have any questions `lemme know

Old 01-12-2008, 04:13 PM

If you use the backend program that MediaCoder and Badak uses, you can configure the source as the DVD player.
Some info about mencoder in this thread:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...d=1#post199188

Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Samsung Moderator

Yeah. I know. I think maybe we need to clarify though, I think most people on these forums are looking for a simple, relatively easy way to manipulate program that solves the issue of converting video for their P2. MediaCoder works great because (thanks to quickvid) it is 100% visual frontend that achieves high quality results. If someone comes on here and says, "Help I can't convert video for my P2 because SMS is teh suck0rz" then they're probably not well versed with command line encoders.

I have created a visual walkthrough for using GordianKnot to encode an AVI file for the P2. I am simply waiting to post it because I used parts from another guide that I need permission from the author to use.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 AM

Great cannot wait to see it sassa!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 AM

Hm ok there is no(coming soon -.-) 64bit version out.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 PM

I found out how to put Videos onto the P2 using the drag and drop method via Windows Explorer.

First off, convert the video file into a .svi type file with Badak or GOM Encoder (and the proper presets for the one you use). GOM Encoder converts the file directly into a .svi type file, but you have to change the file type from .avi to .svi on the converted Bakak file.

Next connect the P2 to the computer, open Windows Explorer>My Computer>P2>Data>Received Files.

Open the folder where the converted video file is, then simply drag and drop the video file (make sure it's a .svi type), into the Received Files folder. (You can see it transferring) You cannot drag and drop it into the P2>Media>Video folder.

When you turn on the P2, you'll find the video file in the "Video" section. Just select it and ENJOY.

When you open the Video folder of the P2 when it's connected to the computer, the file still won't appear in the Video folder, but it WILL be "under" Video on the Player.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yeah. I know. I think maybe we need to clarify though, I think most people on these forums are looking for a simple, relatively easy way to manipulate program that solves the issue of converting video for their P2. MediaCoder works great because (thanks to quickvid) it is 100% visual frontend that achieves high quality results. If someone comes on here and says, "Help I can't convert video for my P2 because SMS is teh suck0rz" then they're probably not well versed with command line encoders.
Obviously, people look for graphical front-ends, click and run solutions. But if there is no solution with this requirements, then I think is better to have a more difficult way to achieve the results than to have no way.
Also, I tryied to find the technical way to deal with this format, and I ended up "reverse engineering" some other program to see how it works. It would be more useful to have the technical data available somewhere. This is the reason why I posted such a technical thing in this forum: to let any other people looking for the same to find it with less difficulties.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Open the folder where the converted video file is, then simply drag and drop the video file (make sure it's a .svi type), into the Received Files folder. (You can see it transferring) You cannot drag and drop it into the P2>Media>Video folder.
Is that an MTP thing? I drag and drop all my converted videos directly into the Video folder and I've never had an issue. They all play perfectly.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoken View Post
Is that an MTP thing? I drag and drop all my converted videos directly into the Video folder and I've never had an issue. They all play perfectly.
Using the method macheteman described is the same as doing what you do except that yours is really the right way to do it.

Both work!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Problem with MediaCoder

I have tried to use the Samsung P2 Extension in Mediacoder, but after I place the file into my P2, it does not play... It says it doesnt support the file format on my P2... this is with the default settings...

However, when I change bitrate to 500 Kbps in the P2 Extension, it works! So is that the maximum bitrate it can support? I'm not sure what the problem is... please help!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM

i tried encoding using the media coder extension, it works fine the quality is great but the audio doesnt exactly match the video. sometimes the voices are off, how do i fix this? increase the video bit rate?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Samsung Moderator

You have to make sure that you re-encode the audio, and don't stream copy (it has to do with syncing the framerate and interleaving the audio packets). Also, the P2 occasionally forgets how to sync audio and video. If you experience the issue and you know it's not a bad source (play the file on your computer as an .svi and if it works on your computer, it's the P2's fault). If the source is good, just seek around in the file a little on the P2 until it loads it right and the audio syncs. That's the only workaround I know of.

Also, Poshi.. I use GordianKnot to encode .svi from DVD. it's most graphical and it works really well. The results are top notch and the program is easy to follow.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM

do you have to have firefox to use it? it says u need to have firefox

Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You have to make sure that you re-encode the audio, and don't stream copy (it has to do with syncing the framerate and interleaving the audio packets). Also, the P2 occasionally forgets how to sync audio and video. If you experience the issue and you know it's not a bad source (play the file on your computer as an .svi and if it works on your computer, it's the P2's fault). If the source is good, just seek around in the file a little on the P2 until it loads it right and the audio syncs. That's the only workaround I know of.

Also, Poshi.. I use GordianKnot to encode .svi from DVD. it's most graphical and it works really well. The results are top notch and the program is easy to follow.
yeah its the files problem, but what do you mean by re-encoding the audio? should i increase the bitrate? increase the algorithm? im using media coder by the way.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 PM

Default Hum ?

Hi,

everyone says that you can rename the file extension to .svi (from an .avi) and put it in the p2 via explorer. But it never worked for me, maybe its because i have the latest firmware ? 2.08 ?

Converted a video file in mediacoder just like you guys said. And i was able to play the renamed .svi file on my computer with windows media. The instant i try copying it to my p2 it showed a warning pop up to tell me that the p2 does not support this video file... !?

later

edit: thanks to macheteman my problem is solved

Last edited by Lordsoth73; 01-19-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: problem solved