android
Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM

Media coder and all the things i have tried (since i updated the firmware from BB to FR it will not play WMV files and i need to convert them to make them work) make the file size huge. i converted a 900 megabyte video from WMV to AVI and i got 20% through and it was already 2.08 GB! HUGE!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Samsung Moderator

Where did it say 2.08 GB? Was it in the progress bar in MediaCoder that said "Raw Video Data?"

If so, that is the size of the uncompressed stream, which granted, will be huge because it's the lossless version of the signal before recompression. It's going to be huge because it's before any compression. Let it finish and look at the actual file size.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 AM

How do you RIP the DVD to an Avi file? or any other non VTS file?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szzapper2 View Post
Media coder and all the things i have tried (since i updated the firmware from BB to FR it will not play WMV files and i need to convert them to make them work) make the file size huge. i converted a 900 megabyte video from WMV to AVI and i got 20% through and it was already 2.08 GB! HUGE!!!
Check the final video size. As sassafras said, probably it is the uncompressed stream size.
Anyway, if you want a smaller file, reduce the bitrate. There's no more. If you tell the program that you want 1Mb per second, each second will need 1Mb. If you need a smaller file, ask the program for less than 1Mb per second. The quality will be worse, but the file will be smaller.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
If you use the newest version of MediaCoder (Currently 0.6.0 Build 3999) and go to the extensions, there is a built in P2 extension that takes all the work out of the process for you. You simply tell it what bitrates you want and whether you want XviD (yes) or DivX (avoid) and press start. It even saves it as an .svi so you don't have to change the filename.

I love MediaCoder
Which parameter did you set on the Extension screen? I tried it w/ the latest firmware and when I play the file, there's a "File type not supported" error message.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM

Now it works, don't know why! Very nice!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Hi do any of you guys have any motion blur when u are playing videos on ur p2?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Help. Sync problem

I just did my first conversion with Media Coder using the suggested settings and the audio did not sync up with the video. Audio is several seconds late. I used an algorithm quality of 2 and video frames at 30. Any suggestions on changes for my next test?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Samsung Moderator

Just use the extension. You have to resample the audio. If you don't resample it (preferably at 44100 Hz) the encoder leaves the audio at the original framerate which no longer syncs with the video. Try that.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM

Default OH Snap!

Worked like a charm. I noticed there is even a tab for adding subtitles and since I have a ton of Hong Kong subtitled avi files I will be testing that feature next. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 PM

I tried the extension in the latest version of MediaCoder and I find it great.
For people who dont know much about video its great but for people who want to tweak the settings to the max, its not the best. You have way more freedom in settings (bitrate for audio, video etc...) if you use a preset or build one yourself.
Congrats to the person who built the extension, itll make the lives of many people easier in converting video

Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Hmm... I tried MediaCoder, it just stalls when I convert something. Maybe it doesn't like FLVs?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaa View Post
Hmm... I tried MediaCoder, it just stalls when I convert something. Maybe it doesn't like FLVs?
They fixed .flv problems in the new versions

Old 01-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Odd, I think I have the latest? Or I should get an extra codec pack?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
I tried the extension in the latest version of MediaCoder and I find it great.
For people who dont know much about video its great but for people who want to tweak the settings to the max, its not the best. You have way more freedom in settings (bitrate for audio, video etc...) if you use a preset or build one yourself.
Congrats to the person who built the extension, itll make the lives of many people easier in converting video
I agree. I love the extension because it's essentially a medium-high quality oneclick solution to put video reliably on your P2. I wasn't saying it was the best option. Hell, as much as I tout the MediaCoder extension I never use it to convert video for my P2. I use AviSynth and VDub, which if even know what they are, you probably aren't on here asking how to convert video for the P2

Quote:
Odd, I think I have the latest? Or I should get an extra codec pack?
You should make sure you have a .FLV decoder codec pacl. You have to understand that .FLV is just a container like AVI or MKV. Most likely the video in the .FLV is encoded with VP6 codec. If you don't have a VP6 decoder, you won't be able to open it to re-encode it. Does your .flv play in Media Player Classic (A DirectShow player)? If not, get the VP6 decoder.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:59 PM

VirtualDub can't convert Youtube videos though, no?

Oh, and MediaCoder says the video is encoded in FLV1. When I try to play it in MediaCoder, the audio plays, but the video stays black.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Samsung Moderator

Make sure you have ffdshow (decodes FLV1).

VirtualDub can encode anything that AviSynth will load because you can load .avs files right into it.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 PM

I just got the CCCP, for my MKV transcoding needs. I guess I'll stick to SUPER (+ DirectShow) for my conversions.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfred02 View Post
Thanks! 'Twas me. Stanley did a great job on MediaCoder, and I couldn't resist using his extension framework to build an extension for the P2.

Even with the current limitations for the video on the P2 (e.g. hobbled AVI format - 480x272, .svi extension, etc), it was a breeze to make. I hope the next P2 firmware versions allow standard .avi files and a wider range of resolutions.

I tried to add WMV support, but Stanley was saying that he finds the WMV API a bit of a pain to work with. If anyone has any tips, let me know and I'll include it in the extension.

Now what I REALLY want to know is:

Offset 00013ba0h in V2.08 YPP2.rom of 12/20/07 contains "TV Out Mode"

I just wonder what we can expect out of the P2? Are they going to have a TV Out connection from a dongle? Or is the current headphone connector a triple output which they may let us know later that we can hook up to our TV?

I also see a lot of other things in the firmware that aren't currently available like: copy, delete, formatting and other goodies. There even looks like some way to set MTP/UMS mode in the firmware (without having to reload the firmware). Anyone else see these things?

Enjoy your P2.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 PM

What I'm really interested in is reverse engineering of the firmware itself. If you can read plain text, it probably isn't encrypted. It also seems to be Linux based, like some other Samsung players... If the source code is released, I would certainly be pleased.