android
Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM

Help Battery problems with Rockbox

Hello!
I was aware of the fact that Rockbox's firmware reduces battery life before I installed it. I could live with 10hrs battery life. But lately my sansa's e250 behaviour is really weird. I was charging the player for whole night cos the battery was depleted. After charging it for at least 8 hrs the indicator said that it is only 64% full. I didn't trust RB's indicator so I checked at original FW and it also showed that only 3/5 of the battery is full. Has battery gone bad? I srsly doubt that because the player is only 4 months old. What else could be wrong with it?
Thank you for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How are you charging your Sansa, in Rockbox or Sansa firmware?

Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM

I just plugged the player while it's on in the USB and the player boots to original firmware. So I charge it there...

Old 12-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That does sound odd, but I am not sure myself.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 AM

I was having problems with battery life when I kept my player charging in my car all the time. My brother's theory on rechargeable batteries was that since I was charging it up, but then not using the charge because it was always plugged in, the battery never drained and it basically forgot how much juice it was supposed to hold. So I started intentionally running it on the batteries to completely drain them, and then charge it up completely before using it again. It seems to help, it used to die out after a couple hours, but I've gone for more than 10 hours on the batteries since then.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9atr0n View Post
I was having problems with battery life when I kept my player charging in my car all the time. My brother's theory on rechargeable batteries was that since I was charging it up, but then not using the charge because it was always plugged in, the battery never drained and it basically forgot how much juice it was supposed to hold.
Your brother is thinking of NiCd batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9atr0n View Post
So I started intentionally running it on the batteries to completely drain them, and then charge it up completely before using it again. It seems to help, it used to die out after a couple hours, but I've gone for more than 10 hours on the batteries since then.
You should not do this to a lipoly battery. It doesn't help and it will shorten the life of the battery. Its best to charge them when they're not yet fully depleted.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Saratoga is right. Li-ion batteries does not have a memory like NiCd did. Another thing is Li-ion does not like being over charged, but the charging circuit should protect it from happening.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 PM
ABI Invaluable

It is good to completely drain the battery every month or so to re calibrate the charging controller. But you only need to drain the battery every 30 days or so. It's actually better to continue topping it off most of the time.