android
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Archos 605 Wifi Audio Quality Opinions

I'm currently in the market for a PMP and would like to solicit your opinions on the 605 Wifi.

For me, audio quality is of paramount importance. I've heard some poor reviews of the audio quality on this device. What are your opinions? Would premium earphones drastically improve things?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 AM

I heard the Archos 605 in store a few weeks ago and the sound quality is shockingly bad. Considerably worse than the 404 and that's hardly good!
I would say, IMO, decent headphones (I use Sennheiser HD515) are likely only to show up the players SQ flaws even more.

Andrew.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks - that pretty much does it for me. The Cowon products seem to have the edge here. I'm SO tempted by the Q5W...quite expensive, though

Old 12-10-2007, 11:40 AM

The A3 is released soon... it's quite a bit cheaper than the Q5. But no Wifi, if you're looking for that feature.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 PM

Yes, the A3 is attractive - I'll have to weigh up the Wifi issue to see if its worth it. The A3 does record video which the Q%W does not, which is a big plus.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Just a personal opinion/rant: To be honest, I don't see the need for Wifi in a portable media player - I got Wifi/Bluetooth on my Palm PDA, where it's quite useful - but syncing audio/video files over Wifi would take far too long, and I wouldn't need yet another web browser on the go. Streaming web radio could be nice, however. Can't think of any more uses for Wifi. Of course YMMV.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Just a personal opinion/rant: To be honest, I don't see the need for Wifi in a portable media player - I got Wifi/Bluetooth on my Palm PDA, where it's quite useful - but syncing audio/video files over Wifi would take far too long, and I wouldn't need yet another web browser on the go. Streaming web radio could be nice, however. Can't think of any more uses for Wifi. Of course YMMV.
i like the browser feature. pretty neat little thing to have in the event i need to check something online and i don't want to have to wait for my PC to boot up, and I currently have no use for a PDA as a high school student.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin_Amigo14 View Post
i like the browser feature. pretty neat little thing to have in the event i need to check something online and i don't want to have to wait for my PC to boot up, and I currently have no use for a PDA as a high school student.
lol, I had a lot of use for my PDA (X50v) in high school, then again, not all high schools have WiFi. Anyway I tried out the web browser on the 605WiFi, it's much more like on a PC than on a PDA (and I've gone through a few different ones). The Adobe flash is a plus, it works nicely for streaming videos, but playing flash games are often laggy

Old 12-19-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instigator View Post
I'm currently in the market for a PMP and would like to solicit your opinions on the 605 Wifi.

For me, audio quality is of paramount importance. I've heard some poor reviews of the audio quality on this device. What are your opinions? Would premium earphones drastically improve things?
Well, I don't know if anyone else weighing in with an opinion actually OWNS a 605, but I do, so here is a response to your question from someone who has had a lot of time with the device.

Sound quality is excellent. I would give it at least an 8 out of 10. The ONLY thing about the sound I would change (and which could potentially change with firmware updates) is the volume cap - it's just a little too low.

To give you an idea of what I compare this to to judge the sound:

I have used several MP3 players, including the Zen Extra 40gb, the Zen Vision:M, the Stone, and several models of ipods.

I listen using my beloved VModa Vibes.

Out of all of those, the venerable old Zen Extra 40gb has the best sound, imho, with the M a close second. I would say without hesitation that the sound is equally as good as the Vision:M.

I listen for noise, depth of sound, detail, dynamic range, and imaging. I have been more than satisfied on all fronts with the 605.

Now I too had heard scary reports about the previous generations of Archos units, and about having to wait for firmware fixes to overcome poor audio performance. But the 605, brand new out of the box, was already very polished, audio-wise.

Now I can't speak for anyone else, but I do take pains to use high-bitrate audio files, and a wide variety of types. I will go from heavy and hard things like Juno Reactor or Blue Man Group to John William's 'Summon the Heroes', Gil Shaham's 'Four Seasons', from 'Fingerdance' to Dire Straits. It handles everything well, and I hear all the details and sparkle that I specifically listen for.

It's not perfect - like I said, there are just some instances where I wish I could 'pump it up' just a bit more.

But all in all, while this player may not be for everyone, the audio quality is NOT a reason not to have one.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 AM

I agree completely. i just got my 605 last night and i think the sound quality is great. it really does sound alot like my Creative ZVM and thats through stock headphones. oh well to each and his own.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrocket13 View Post
I agree completely. i just got my 605 last night and i think the sound quality is great. it really does sound alot like my Creative ZVM and thats through stock headphones. oh well to each and his own.
Funny... judging sound quality with stock buds.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Default Well....

That was kind of my point, the fact I thought the sound was great even with stock headphones.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 PM

If you're happy with any crappy stock buds you probably shouldn't mention sound quality, since it might very likely confuse people into thinking that's actually decent sounding stuff (which might end in disappointment). I know the sound quality with stock earbuds from Archos - and that's what I would describe as "awful". Maybe try some decent phones, and compare the sound quality to other players from other brands. That would provide a more valid comparison.

But if you're happy with the sound, that's all that matters.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:45 PM

I have had both the Cowon A3 and the Archos 605. I chose the 605 just because it just fit my needs. The Cowon however was a much better sounding pmp. The Archos lacks great sound like the A3. I would compare it to my ZVM. But having listened to the Cowon there is no comparison. The Archos just is a great pmp, with wifi. the DVR dock with remote is great for viewing movies and displays them great on your 16:9 tv the Cowon seemed buggy and the display out to the tv wasn't good. I have just ordered the Sennheisers CX-500's and I heard there great. I demoed the cx 300's and it was a major improvment in sound compared to my Sony's.. So yes I think premium earphones is a must. I'll post back when I get the 500's .. The Archos is a great machine and I've been very happy with it. Oh and there is a firmware update that does help the volume a bit.

good luck

Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufanu View Post
the Cowon seemed buggy and the display out to the tv wasn't good.
what problems were you having with TV-out? I've been using the composite cable to watch quite alot of stuff on my TV and the quality and ease is pretty amazing, just plug it in, set it to av-out and play