android
Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Creative Zen Portable Media Center?

What is this thing? I keep seeing it on ebay - was it a precurser to the first zen vision? There is one up for auction right now that looks brand new, and has 20g of storage.

Does anyone know anything about these?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Neither I have one nor do I know anyone who has, but I found a few reviews on it. Keep in mind that it's a very old design, it's bulky, doesn't have some features current PMPs have, like audio-recording or video-recording and support for it is probably inexistent by now.

[ CNET review ]

[ Engadget review ]

Old 12-09-2007, 08:33 AM

Wow. I feel like a dinosaur. I have one. Was my first PMP. Some people had lots of trouble with them (but I think it was mostly a function of spending 400.00 and thinking it would do everything right out of the box.)

It plays .wmv fine at 320 x 240. and the screen reprocues a very nice image for what it is (looks way better than zune) on the screen.

But the codecs are very limited anr the ebay discription is mis-leading. It only plays nice with WMP 10. 11 will frag it up. It's the size of a large pocket book. Think lotr size. Battery length is great at about 8 hours currently of straight video... but 10 hours when new.

It's been out dated for a while but... when I go camping and don't want to worry about my Archos breaking due to conditions - I still take along the PMC.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Interesting... I have XP Media Centre Edition, and am running WMP 10. I really don't need this thing - but it would feed my Zen addiction, especially for $30...
Creative Zen V+ 4g
~Yep, I'm Addicted~

Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

$30? Heh... forget what I said. Go have your fix! (as long as it's working)

Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Yes - tha't what I'm not sure about - if it actually works. It powers up but doesn't give a home screen. Instead it shows a diagram with the player, and arrow to an open box, and an arrow to a building. I'm not sure what that is...
Creative Zen V+ 4g
~Yep, I'm Addicted~

Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't have any idea idea what that diagram is supposed to mean... Unpacking, or something?

I wonder what sort of Recovery Mode menu the PMC has, and if firmware can be reloaded using it...