android
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM

Default iTunes vids...

I was wondering if videos from iTunes work on the D2. I don't really have many videos from iTunes (actually it's just one), but I wouldn't want to waste my money getting videos from iTunes if they don't work on the D2. If they don't are there any other video services that have video that works on the D2? (I also have a few videos in DivX format, I know that works)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 PM

No they don't work on any player except the iPod. They're DRMed Quicktime movies. Hooray for locked-down-to-hell systems.

Amazon Unbox works on the D2 (as you can read in another thread here).

Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Ah, I thought it wouldn't... curse iPod and iTunes. I read some of that thread. Sounds like an interesting option. Are there any others?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM

Sorry to bump this thread (I also did the same at iaudiophile), but would anyone know why my D2 used to work with Amazon's Unbox service, now the videos (be they new ones I tried or ones that used to work) no longer work. They will freeze the D2, and either the D2 will jump over them and play my home made videos I made with Jetaudio, Super, etc., but not the Unbox videos. Sometimes they just have a big yellow image, and will lock the D2.
This happened with 2.51 and a 2 Gb SD card and 8 Gb SDHC card, along with 2.51 and 2.53 with a 16Gb SDHC card. so the card and firmware (as it used to work with 2.51; now no longer), is not the issue.
Anyone have an idea why all over a sudden it does not work?

Thanks all.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 AM

My only guess would be that Amazon possibly changed the way they encode their files? Drop them a mail, they should be able to answer that (since you paid good money for non-working stuff ).

Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. I am about to do that, although they will probably say "talk to Cowon".
I have purchased less than $10 worth I have been testing it on their free offerings, so I didn't lose a lot.
What is funny is the ones I bought around November that used to work fine, no longer work. Anyway, thanks again, I'll see what Amazon has to say, but if this doesn't pan out, I was thinking of going to the 3.5x firmware as I will not need MTP anymore (and to try the flash skins), but then again, I hear this will not work with my A-Data 16Gb SDHC card, so you cannot win.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Update

I contacted Amazon, and although they were very nice, they had no idea why it wouldn't play on the D2 anymore.
They also said the D2 isn't a supported (tested) player (see list here)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000038721
so regardless if it can be switched to MTP or not, they cannot guarantee it will work, and they have no idea why my old files no longer play.
Oh well, I never liked DRM, now I know why I should stay away. Jetaudio wouldn't convert it obviously because of the DRM.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 PM

DRM will be dead soon enough anyway - just wait a bit and don't feed your money to those bastards in the meantime.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:53 AM

Any idea if the videos I converted for my 80gb ipod using CloneDVDmobile will work on my D2, or will it lock up if I attempt to view it?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 AM

The D2 plays 320x240 XviD/DivX/MPEG4, with MP3 audio.

The iPod plays h.264/MPEG4 with AAC audio in a MOV container - not the slightest chance of getting those to work on any other player.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:42 PM

As an update, I finally got my Amazon Unbox videos to play (at least for now) normally again.
I was having issues after all the upgrade/downgrades I had done from 3.53 back to 2.53 then to 2.51. The 2.53 and 3.53 (x.53 was a horrible piece of firmware) had screwed up my player, that even after restoring to 2.51 it wasn't wholly fixed.
Not only the video issue with Amazon, but mainly and more importantly, my music files would first be in alphabetical order, then I would switch cards and after putting my regular card back in, they wouldn't be in order.
Over the weekend I ran the tcctool, and reinstalled 2.51, now my music is back in order, and boot up time is fast again.
I thought for the heck of it I would try and restore the few videos I bought from Amazon back to the player, they transferred and played normally.
So, it obvioulsy was the monstronsity called x.53 firmware. I will be staying away from DRM more likely than not, but in this case it wasn't Amazon, but Cowon.
I hear that 3.54 is solid, hopefully we will see 2.54 very soon.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA View Post
I hear that 3.54 is solid, hopefully we will see 2.54 very soon.
Don't spread these rumors too soon... 3.54 has only been out for a day. We always see the "yay, new firmware!" comments roll in before somebody locates brand new bugs, at which time the comments change to "damn you, Cowon"...