android
Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Default e280 & Ubuntu 7.10

How do these chaps fare? I'm on Ubuntu 7.10, and looking into getting a SanDisk Sansa e280, 8GB player.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
How do these chaps fare? I'm on Ubuntu 7.10, and looking into getting a SanDisk Sansa e280, 8GB player.
Works fine out of the box.

Charles

Old 12-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the confirmation! I'll be getting one soon.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:01 PM

I'm a fellow Torontonian too. Nice to meet ya!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
Works fine out of the box.

Charles
Does that apply for the e250 and e260 as well?

Btw, the Rockbox site states it needs to be version 1 (to use it in Linux as UMS player or just for Rockbox?). What is the version in the big box stores like Staples in Canada? Are they ver. 1 or 2? Does anyone know the store, factory direct? They sometimes sell slightly older hardware. Any chance of finding a ver. 1 there (note: I might take a look but would be convenient to confirm)?

Thanks in advance to answers to any of my questions.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM

It needs to be version 1 if you want to install rockbox on it.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM

I found both versions (of e260) for sale. I am just wondering about the sound quality in v2. Is it better and if so, by how much? The v1 I found is refurbished and costs half the amount of the v2 which is for sale in a big box store. I guess it's available elsewhere for a bit cheaper but after factoring in shipping costs, it is easier to just drive to a nearby store. The v2 is brand new. I found out about the v1 after the sales guy had a demo and turned it on to the settings and v1 was displayed.

Which do you (or anyone who likes/uses the e200 series) recommend?

I posted the same question in the Rockbox section. I hope that's okay.

Note: I could also go to a new e250 v2 which is the same price as the version 1 e260 I found.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Zune Moderator

I have never heard of them being more expensive. How much more expensive are they?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:54 PM

I found a refurbished version 1 e260 for $80 and a brand new version 2 at another store for $150. The new e250 v2 is $80 at the store which sells the version 2s. I was gearing towards a budget of under $100 so either of the v1 e260 or version 2 e250 (at the other store) fit into the budget. But, I am not sure about the version differences other than compatibility with Rockbox.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Zune Moderator

V2's have the following extra features:
-Audible support
-MicroSD High Capacity (supported on V1 with rockbox)
-Delete files from player (supported on V1 with rockbox)

Unless you listen to audio book I'd go with the v1.

I don't know of anymore, If anybody want to add to my post go ahead and please leave what else is different here.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 PM

I wanted to see the ability to create playlists on the player other than go list since there's no rockbox for v2.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 PM

It doesn't work out of the box. It only works if it's automatically mounted or you use it in Windoze as a UMS player.

Sorry, I'm frustrated with it and the Amarok program.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It doesn't work out of the box. That is false information. It only works if it's automatically mounted or you use it in Windoze as a UMS player.
What exactly do you mean? It works out of the box:
  • In MSC mode- like any other ums device (either through automounting or manual which I prefer) under Linux.
  • In mtp node- by using any program that supports libmtp.

Charles

Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
What exactly do you mean? It works out of the box:
  • In MSC mode- like any other ums device (either through automounting or manual which I prefer) under Linux.
  • In mtp node- by using any program that supports libmtp.
Charles
I mean, one has to mount the device exactly correct or it doesn't work.

I am not familiar with mounting so I always have trouble. I am not sure what to put in the in pre-connect line and pre-disconnect line. I know where the device is 'located' or the "device node." but that's about all I know. I was told not to automount and also if I ever move the device to a different usb port, then I'd run into problems, right?

I noticed someone having problems mounting with a mac. I think it all depends on how you understand mounting. I know it works but I am saying 'out of the box' refers to (at least for me) no need for configuration. In Amarok, you need to configure these devices since they're not old ipods or new irivers (whatever the choices are). But, that is standard for most portable mp3 players. I am also frustrated that I haven't been able to find a decent tutorial including this topic. Almost all of them assume it works like magic.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM

Dont worry about it, It will all work perfectly.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I mean, one has to mount the device exactly correct or it doesn't work.

I am not familiar with mounting so I always have trouble. I am not sure what to put in the in pre-connect line and pre-disconnect line. I know where the device is 'located' or the "device node." but that's about all I know. I was told not to automount and also if I ever move the device to a different usb port, then I'd run into problems, right?

I noticed someone having problems mounting with a mac. I think it all depends on how you understand mounting. I know it works but I am saying 'out of the box' refers to (at least for me) no need for configuration. In Amarok, you need to configure these devices since they're not old ipods or new irivers (whatever the choices are). But, that is standard for most portable mp3 players. I am also frustrated that I haven't been able to find a decent tutorial including this topic. Almost all of them assume it works like magic.
Surely it's not working like you want, if you disable automounting.

With "out-of-the-box", it was meant that you just connect your Sansa and the file browser or an audio programm will pop-up, which is indeed the case with ubuntu 7.10, but only with automount.